Ear hair removal for improved sound quality
May 2, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #31 of 51
I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. My father, who is 86, has profound hearing loss and wears hearing aids in both ears. He also has a lot of hair in his ears, and clipping it makes a pronounced difference in the performance of his hearing aids. It can mean the difference between hearing and not hearing if he lets the hair get too long.

The interesting thing is that his hearing aids have custom molds that were made from impressions of his ear canals -- just like custom IEMs. So I think it's probable that excessive ear hair has a significant effect on the sound of IEMs, just as it has a significant effect on his hearing aids.

May 2, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe not so far-fetched.

I've actually heard of swimmers shaving their entire bodies to reduce drag in the water. I don't know a)if this is something people actually do, or b)whether it really makes a difference, but I have heard of this.

It is, and it does make a pretty major difference in swimming. Before big races, the swimmers at my school always shave all of their hair.

May 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also had great success running a green marker around the outside of my ears.

LMAO

May 3, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He also has a lot of hair in his ears, and clipping it makes a pronounced difference in the performance of his hearing aids. It can mean the difference between hearing and not hearing if he lets the hair get too long.

ear-hair.jpg

May 3, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Jump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ear-hair.jpg

OK, not quite that bad.

May 3, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #36 of 51
Remember... genetically only men can grow hair from inside their ears. So guys, if that young, slim, asian lady that you are talking to in the bar has any ear growth... best you walk away or prepare for an 'interesting' night!!!

May 3, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember... genetically only men can grow hair from inside their ears. So guys, if that young, slim, asian lady that you are talking to in the bar has any ear growth... best you walk away or prepare for an 'interesting' night!!!

I take it you're speaking from personal experience?

May 3, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading in Stereophile how glasses could affect your listening experience as sound would be reflecting off them. I stopped reading that year
smily_headphones1.gif

well actually afaik glass does reflect sound -it is scientifically proven- therefore it must be true

I hope you've stopped spending money on high end gear too, and are listening instead to your nano with the stock ear-bud. All this audiophiles stuff is nuts, it's all in their head - all speakers sound the same, all amps sound the same, all cable sounds the same - it's been scientifically proven, ask Uncle Erik...lol

May 20, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #42 of 51
The next step - an ear spa!

http://www.instructables.com/id/EAR-SPA/

I know many of you jest, but I'm serious about this. Your ear canal is the last step of the way.

May 21, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #43 of 51

Quote:
The next step - an ear spa!

http://www.instructables.com/id/EAR-SPA/

I know many of you jest, but I'm serious about this. Your ear canal is the last step of the way.

Your ear only transmits,it is your Brain that is the last step,it puts it all together,(with some anyway)

May 21, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #44 of 51
lololololololololololololol, best thread ive read in awhile :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back