Ear Confusion (Is this a thing?)
Oct 19, 2016 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Slurry

New Head-Fier
After owning the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro for several months, and loving everything about them, from looks, to comfort, to sound, I now find that I'm constantly trying to EQ how they sound.  It all started with looking for some IEM's that were a bit more convenient to carry around than the 990's.  I settled on the HiFiMan RE-400.  I have gained an appreciation for a neutral sound, and the blank slate the RE-400's provide for EQ'ing.  With the RE-400's (or any neutral headphones I would think) it's interesting to hear how a track was mixed, and what the intent of the mix was.  Were they trying to focus on vocals, were they just going for balance, did they put an emphasis on base, etc.  But now when I listen to my 990's, it feels like someone took a bite out of the mids.  I find myself endlessly toying with the EQ to recover mids, and then dropping them back again.  Same thing happens when I switch back to the 400's.  I find myself tweaking the lows and highs to make the 400's sound like the 990's did.  It's like my ears are confused, and cant decide how anything should sound.  Neutral, or V shaped. Does anyone else ever experience this?

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 4
Yes it happens when you explore more headphones.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah, your ears tend to get used to the sound signature of your headphones the more you use them, so then it can sound "off" when you switch to a very different sounding headphone. This is why I try not to judge a new headphone until I've spent a lot of time listening to it

Oct 19, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 4
It's more you brain than your ears. It takes about a week with new headphones before your brain gets accustomed to them. I like to just listen to them and nothing else for a bit with no eq after a week or so you get used to the sound and then start eqing if you find the need. It works for me but YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back