Ear Buds for working out
Dec 12, 2010 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

knolly

New Head-Fier
A few years ago, I purchased a set of Sennheiser MXL 70 VC SPORT ear buds for use when working out.  The idea seemed great: a lanyard around the neck to keep the weight of the cord from pulling the monitors out of the ears.

Fast forward three years and I have to say that I'm not very much impressed.  The ear buds are large - really large - and they don't get full sound response because they don't sit in the ear properly (and I'm 6'2", so it's not a question of a large ear bud in a small dude!), hence they like to fall out.

Secondly - and much more annoyingly - the things have completely fallen apart.  There is a volume control that now doesn't work properly: when adjusting I get static and stereo drop out.  The headphones use a 3.5mm extension cord and the connector also has become loose and again, I get sound dropout (either going to mono or loosing a channel).  And...  the green plastic has totally split on the thin leads right below both ear buds - probably by over an inch!  Finally, I wouldn't say that they weren't heavily used: probably moderately at most over their lifetime.

So...

Not exactly stoked on buying another set (or the newer version).  Overall, I didn't mind the sound - it was OK and I'm not looking to reproduce my 325is / pico combo here  :)  But I would like something decent that can stand up to the abuse of working out. 

I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for a decent set of ear buds that do well for working out.  I'm not looking to spend a lot of money here - perhaps $100 as my last pair died in under a few years (unless there is a compelling reason to).  Also, I don't need the external volume control - while nice, it's absolutely not necessary.

Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back