EAC Ripping speed
Oct 5, 2004 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

dsavitsk

MOT: ECP Audio
I set up EAC on an old computer of mine (p3 700mhz, 512mb, 7200, 40x drive) and I am getting about 3-4x speeds ripping cds. On a newer computer (p4 3000mhz, 1gb pc3200, 10000 sata, 52x) I get the same, if not slower speeds. The computer is fine, the drive works fine with everything else ... what gives? Anyone get anything faster and have any suggestions?

Oct 6, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 22
The data-reading speed of the CD-ROM (40X, 52X) doesn't always correlate to the speed of digital audio extraction (in fact it probably never does; I've seen 40X drives that do secure rips @ 24X and 52X drives that only reach 4X during secure ripping). If you want fast, reliable rips for cheap get the $20 52X Asus CD-S520.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 22
I would imagine for the ultimate speed increase you'd need to get the Plextor Premium. Also they should fly right through any Copy Controlled "CD" on which most cheaper quality CD-ROM's have difficulties. They're a little pricy though.

Oh and of course you can tone down the error correction but that will result in quality drop.

Oct 6, 2004 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by recephasan
I use burst mode which ups the ripping speed to ~16x on my Pioneer DVR-06. Otherwise mine stays at around 3-4x

If your concerned about making a near perfect wav copy of your CD, don't use burst mode. Use secure mode. It's slow as Christmas, but the results are a higher quality rip. I only use burst mode when a track is too scratched for secure mode to complete the rip.

Oct 6, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007
If your concerned about making a near perfect wav copy of your CD, don't use burst mode. Use secure mode. It's slow as Christmas, but the results are a higher quality rip. I only use burst mode when a track is too scratched for secure mode to complete the rip.

burst mode is only good when secure mode fails to rip the track.
I have only used it abut 5-6 times on rally badly scratched discs.

EAC is not exactly processor dependent. It is more about the quality of the drive.
For eg. my external DVD burner extracts at a faster rate than the internal burner.
Something to do with reduced chassis vibrations.
it sits separate from the computer so works pretty well.

Regards
Kunwar

Oct 6, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 22
Get a plextor drive, just as others are saying. Get the latest firmware from thye plextor website... My ripping speed jumpted from 2X to 6X approx just by updating my firmware. I use the internal dvd/cdw plextor drive....

Of course, if you are using EAC, you are probably not willing to compromise on quality. So using burst modes, drive caching etc should not be an option for you.... YMMV. Goodluck!

Oct 6, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 22
My $20 Asus 52X CD-ROM (CD-S520A) rips at 20X IN SECURE MODE! This is much better than my Plextor Premium (12-16X secure at best) and approaches the best ripper ever, my trusty SCSI CD-ROM (Plextor UltraPlex40x). If you have a spare IDE channel and want the best IDE drive for accurate, fast rips the Asus 52X CD-ROM is the best option out there (and it's only $20). I keep my Plextor Premium for its great CDRW capabilities and my old SCSI Plextor is still alive and kicking (extracts audio @ 24X-36X in secure mode). However, I realize that SCSI optical is dying (if not already dead) so the Asus CD-ROM is the new ripping champ (and it's very quiet to boot).
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Those must have been some d@mn big cocktails!
smily_headphones1.gif

Huge. I was in a bar in east berlin at the time, drinking coctails with names like "speed" and "cocaine", and they came in a massive brandy-type glass, with straws, umbrellas, fruit, and everything.

Hmmm, I seem to have taken the conversation off topic, how unusual
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #15 of 22
All three are essentially based on the same design; however, with the S520/A4 Asus took measures to reduce the drive's noise level (I own both the S520 and the S520/A4 and the A4 is noticeably quieter during seeks, but not during ripping). The A5 is probably a subtle change but I’m not sure. I do know that both the A4 and A5 versions support firmware upgrades while the regular S520 does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back