EAC paranoia. Copy (Shift+F5) or Test & Copy (Shift+F6)
Jan 21, 2008 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mofonyx

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

I've been ripping my CDs with EAC + AutoFLAC to have all my music files as FLAC.

AutoFLAC automatically configures EAC to Test & Copy each track (you can do this by pressing Shift + F6 in EAC, just find it under "Actions"). This led to very long ripping times which I couldn't be bothered about.

I formatted my computer yesterday because it was starting to choke up (ahh, fresh format). I reconfigured EAC but I am no longer using AutoFLAC. I realise I have the choice to just Copy, or to Test & Copy.

Test & Copy allows for EAC to check for CRC consistency within tracks, and the Test CRC and Copy CRC shows up in the log.

Hmm, so which action is preferred? Test & Copy, or just Copy is good enough?

Jan 21, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 11
Best advice? use Accuraterip to check your rips against others

There are two schools of though
1) Secure mode, drive caches ignore C2: Copy only
2) Burst Mode: Test and Copy

I find 2) works well with good quality discs. If accuraterip does not have a match then I use a second ripper and use method 1) to be ultra-sure

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyRedHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use paranoia and copy only, this is what I do. Test is kinda redundant and time consuming. I have never had less than 100 percent success. I hope its not just my luck.

How long does it take you to rip a typical disc via this method?

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 11
Different optical drives will vary but my new laptop does a disk in about 5-7 minutes. If it is taking forever then you may want to invest in a new optical drive. I know some people have that problem.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 11
Interesting, because whenever I have tested paranoia mode, I never get above 4.2x on a drive rated for DAE at 40x; if I use burst mode, it generally takes me less than 5 minutes.

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #10 of 11
You really need to get over to hydrogen audio and do some reading

I do not agree with some of the above posts. Paranoid mode is generally not recommended. Secure basically re-reads so can render test and copy pointless. Burst with test and copy will be fast and you can check for matching CRCs. I use this and it works very well with the right drive with CDs in good condition. You can even omit the test if you do get an accuraterip match

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidicman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best advice? use Accuraterip to check your rips against others

There are two schools of though
1) Secure mode, drive caches ignore C2: Copy only
2) Burst Mode: Test and Copy

Dude,
Thanx for insight. I used process #2 and, after discovering #1, thought maybe I needed to rerip everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back