EAC Foobar ASIO4ALL WASAPI Settings Pictorial
Nov 16, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #241 of 251
If you have a DAC which upconverts, it's a safe bet that it'd do a better job than your soundcard in your computer, so in that case, set Foobar to 16 and let the DAC upconvert if you want.

Since my knowledge on 24bit is limited to say the least, I did a quick search with Google and found this recently updated FAQ (took about two seconds). Also found this forum thread containing this post:

Quote:
If the setting is at 24 bit and your file is 16-bit, the lowest 8 bits will be filled with zeros. No loss, no gain. 

If the setting is at 16 bit and your file is 24-bit, the lowest 8 bits will be either truncated, or truncated after dithering, and you will loose some information, though the difference almost surely won't be audible. 

So if you care about that, leave the setting at 24-bit.

But if switching the setting for each file really makes you happy, then you may do that as well. I personally prefer to focus on the music not on switching settings.

I recommend enabling "dithering" if you're using 16bit. It will somewhat limit the quality loss of downconversion from 24 to 16.

Hopefully that answers some questions 
smile.gif

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #242 of 251
thank you everyone for this!!

Okay, I followed all the points from the first post.

If I follow what olblueeye said, well it's clipping. The problem, I suspect, is coming from my sound card. I haev a m-audio firewire 1814.I set the sample rate at 44.1, but I don't know how to set the asio/wdm buffer size.

I need to put it at the lowest buffer size possible? Or my sound card is just not useful anymore since I use asio? I'm kind of mixed up here

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #246 of 251
Haha I just followed the directions on the OP. But I don't have a DAC yet (use my haedphone with cowon j3) so I didn't follow it all the way to where it talks about how to set up the DAC and etc. But still. it was a huge improvement. For about 20 minutes, I just sat there surprised at the big between the original setting and the new one.

May 17, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #248 of 251
Using external 24bit DAC + foobar2000 + wasapi as described in OP. WASAPI (event mode, buffer lenght 510ms, 24-bit output). My windows volume control slider still seem to work. Am I doing something wrong? Or am I set for good?

May 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #249 of 251
Quote:
Using external 24bit DAC + foobar2000 + wasapi as described in OP. WASAPI (event mode, buffer lenght 510ms, 24-bit output). My windows volume control slider still seem to work. Am I doing something wrong? Or am I set for good?

You should keep windows volume control at 100% all the way.

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #250 of 251
Hello! I have set foobar2000 with WASAPI, listening to lossless audio, and my jaw dropped - literally! The speakers are Boston Acoustics A25 with Atlas Equator 2.0 OFC cables, HK 6550 intergrated amp, connected to the onboard audio, using an $ 2 cable, and the difference in dynamics and detail was massive, it felt like I have connected a DAC.No joke - sparkling highs, better separation, I even heard new synths in the disco I listen to every day! I cannot believe that software changes can make such a big difference - usually, one needs to shed out some cash for it, which I did for buying Arcam rPac.I have set it as the Wasapi output device.Can anyone help me choose the best settings, as I do not know if it upsamples? So far, I like PUSH more than EVENT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back