Eaah! Just got a pair of Shure SE530s. What gives?
Sep 21, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #46 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now your just being silly, ety's with bass similar to shure e500's no im afraid not, the more bass you put on that single driver the more impact it has on mids and highs thats ''DONE''. theres more to mids than the details of the mid-highs, there are mid-lows which are not very prominent on the ety's and highs are amazing on the ety's.

There you go again. How do you know that when I EQ the bass on my ER4P, there is an impact on the mids and highs? Using Rockbox on my Ipod 5.5G, I can EQ the ER4P to have bass very similar to the E500 with no AUDIBLE effect on the mids or highs.

And I don't think anybody is offended by your love of your E500. It is just your apparent fanboyism and your attempts to strongly discredit pretty much every other 'phone as so clearly and definitively inferior to the E500. Sorry, life is not so black-and-white and your ears are not the same as anyone elses. Just try to be more balanced and you will get more respect.

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #47 of 100
The Shure E530s take some getting used to. They are a little too warm, but your brain can adjust, but it won't be able to if you're switching back and forth between the ER4...........Although it wasn't always my view, I've settled with the SE530s as the best universal monitor. The UE10s and the 11s are the only monitors which best them

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #48 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can't really imagine wanting more bass than e4's except in noisy environments, but i am so eager to try out the e500's for sub $300 nowdays. my question is how does it compare other than the frequency response? resolving, details, timbre, etc?

perhaps this can be my journey into the real head-fi from isolation-fi and i can stick with the e4cs. (i don't like the er-4's ergonomics.)

Sorry, I only listened to the E4Cs for about an hour, so I don't know them well enough to compare. Hopefully someone who has them both can answer you.

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #50 of 100
It's true, I do it too. It's incredibly easy. I just go into Rockbox's EQ, set up a low shelf filter at +5db, and I'm set.

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #51 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try using the yellow-foam old-school tips. Make sure they are not too worn out, as getting a good seal is paramount, and these things wear out fast. I was using the black olive foamies before, and they are of course wonderfully durable, easy-to-insert and easy to get a seal with. But there is just something about them that was causing the bass to muck everything up. It was coloring everything, almost as if it needed to be contained but was instead bleeding onto everything else. Well, for me, the yellow foamies made sure the bass only colored "within the lines."

Dexter, thanks for the suggestion. I don't think the 530 comes with any yellow foamy thingies, I think there's one set of dark foam tips, but of course it's worth a shot. But I have a question, and sorry if it sounds dumb: how do you change the tips on the Shures? I tried taking off the olive rubber tips that came pre-mounted, and realized I was tearing the rubber off the inner tube. How do you cleanly remove the tips?

And where did you source the yellow foamies?

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #52 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There you go again. How do you know that when I EQ the bass on my ER4P, there is an impact on the mids and highs? Using Rockbox on my Ipod 5.5G, I can EQ the ER4P to have bass very similar to the E500 with no AUDIBLE effect on the mids or highs.

And I don't think anybody is offended by your love of your E500. It is just your apparent fanboyism and your attempts to strongly discredit pretty much every other 'phone as so clearly and definitively inferior to the E500. Sorry, life is not so black-and-white and your ears are not the same as anyone elses. Just try to be more balanced and you will get more respect.

i am balanced, just so happens you pop into threads where i praise the shures lol but to mek it clear again if people enjoy warm sound, i recommend the shures highly, otherwise i recommend somert else. i am a fanboy and what of it, ive tried loads of iem's and i love the shures the most, for me, so im a fan simple as
rs1smile.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #53 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by mink70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jinx, you keep saying that listeners who don't care for the sound of the Shures are simply too "blown away" by their bass to appreciate them, or that they don't like bass, or that they are comparing them to the bass-deficient Etys or something else.

My problem with the Shures is not just the quantity of the bass but the quality--humped, bloated, inaccurate to anything like a good recording or live music. That's not a technical fault, but Shure's own decision. The frequency response chart Shure itself publishes shows a curve that's +5 db up to 200 cycles and that plummets to -30 db at about 10,000 cycles (=711]http://www.headphone.com/technical/p...phID[]=711).

It's great that you like the Shures and have decided that they are the best, just lay off the "it's so good you guys can't handle it" angle, OK?

well whateva u say im not denyin what you hear but dats u

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #55 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am balanced, just so happens you pop into threads where i praise the shures lol but to mek it clear again if people enjoy warm sound, i recommend the shures highly, otherwise i recommend somert else. i am a fanboy and what of it, ive tried loads of iem's and i love the shures the most, for me, so im a fan simple as
rs1smile.gif

I am happy for you. Enjoy your phones.

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #56 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's true, I do it too. It's incredibly easy. I just go into Rockbox's EQ, set up a low shelf filter at +5db, and I'm set.

Well, I suppose I am more aggressive with EQ
biggrin.gif
I use +6dB LP @ 135 and +3dB BP @ 400. To my ears, it definitely doesn't have all the punch of the E500, but has most of the warmth, and sounded surprisingly similar.

EDIT:
graphCompare.php

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #58 of 100
Quote:

Try using the yellow-foam old-school tips. Make sure they are not too worn out, as getting a good seal is paramount, and these things wear out fast. I was using the black olive foamies before, and they are of course wonderfully durable, easy-to-insert and easy to get a seal with. But there is just something about them that was causing the bass to muck everything up. It was coloring everything, almost as if it needed to be contained but was instead bleeding onto everything else. Well, for me, the yellow foamies made sure the bass only colored "within the lines."

Has anyone else found that the different tips change the sound of the Shures? I'm using the pre-mounted olive tips, and will try the foamies. If I could only figure out how to remove the tips without tearing them...
confused.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #59 of 100
^Check your PM, I just sent you instructions. The basic trick is to grip on tight and start rotating the tip before you start pulling outwards. If you cannot rotate the tip without tearing the foam, you are not gripping hard enough.

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #60 of 100
Quote:

^Check your PM, I just sent you instructions. The basic trick is to grip on tight and start rotating the tip before you start pulling outwards. If you cannot rotate the tip without tearing the foam, you are not gripping hard enough.

Sometimes the factory-set tips literally get stuck on the nozzle and the inner core disintegrates when you twist them off. I had that problem 3 times, but only when trying to get the factory-set ones off, but once I'd done that, the others didn't get stuck at all. I thought I was going to break the nozzle with the force I had to use to get them off
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back