Eaah! Just got a pair of Shure SE530s. What gives?
Sep 21, 2007 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

mink70

100+ Head-Fier
After spending many hours pondering this site, I finally decided to plonk down some serious cash for a pair of good IEMs. I've been looking for a great non-leaking headphones, and the Shure E1s or whatever they were called sounded horrible and broke. So last week I got a pair of Ety ER-4Ps, and was really impressed by the sound out of my 80 gig iPod Classic listening to uncompressed AIFFs. I wasn't put off at all by the light bass; my problem with them is that they draw your attention to the sound, not the music. Very impressive detail--the best I've heard from any transducer--but not so good for focusing on the music. It becomes all about the sound effects and hearing deep into the mix. No too dynamic, either, at least without an amp. So today, hating myself, I went back to the store and bought a pair of Shure SE530s. I've spent a couple of hours with them, and I need some advice badly.

First, they make listening fun and focus on the music, not the sound. But, but! I cannot make sense of their tonal balance. First, I noticed the relative lack of highs, and then--and this is the worst part—I noticed the huge, tubby bass. Even on relatively bass-deficient tracks the bass is emphasized and completely unrealistic with that baby-elephants-running-around-on-the floor-above thump. It reminded me of the of the old portable CD players with the non-defeatable "mega bass" feature. The mids are pretty great—Merle Haggard sounded awesome--but the tonal balance just sounds boomy and thick, and the whole thing is not nearly as detailed as the Etys. Not sure which ones to keep--can't justify two expensive pairs of IEMs. So I have a couple of questions to which I'd appreciate answers, especially from listeners who've had experience with the Shures:

1) Do the Shures take time to break in? I've only listened to them for a few hours. Will they keep sounding like this?

2) Do people use some sort of EQ with the Shures to compensate for the big bass/little treble thing?

3) Is there another IEM that combines the listenability of the Shures with the detail and elegance of the Etys?

4) Which pair holds up better over the long haul, in terms of listening pleasure?

I realize these are very subjective, so for what it's worth I'm a music writer who listens primarily to pop, country, jazz, rock, and increasingly classical, with many older recordings, and not much in the way of house, trance, metal etc. I've been an audiophile for years and have winnowed down my tastes to fast sounding tubes and large diaphram vintage speakers--I listen to Shindo and Tannoy. As an intro to headphones, last year I got a pair of AKGk501s and a Pink Floyd-modded X-can 3. They sound good, but after listening for a few minutes my mind begins to wander and I take them off. So I'm looking for something really great in the headphone arena, and haven't found it yet.

Your experiences will be much appreciated.
confused.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by mink70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1) Do the Shures take time to break in? I've only listened to them for a few hours. Will they keep sounding like this?

2) Do people use some sort of EQ with the Shures to compensate for the big bass/little treble thing?

3) Is there another IEM that combines the listenability of the Shures with the detail and elegance of the Etys?

4) Which pair holds up better over the long haul?

1) No, but your ears break in. In other words, it takes some time for your brain to get familiar with the different sound signatures. I went from Ety to E500 also, and at first hated the Shures. Give it a couple of days to let your ears and brain adjust before deciding.
2) Yes, I used treble boost.
3) Not yet. The forthcoming q-Jays might do it, but that is yet to be known.
4) Do you mean build-quality? There are many long term Ety users, but the E500/SE530 is too new to really know about their long term quality. There were cable problems in early batches, but Shure has awesome warranties.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) No, but your ears break in. In other words, it takes some time for your brain to get familiar with the different sound signatures. I went from Ety to E500 also, and at first hated the Shures. Give it a couple of days to let your ears and brain adjust before deciding.

Thanks, gtp!

When I said "hold up over the long haul" I actually meant in terms of listening pleasure. I see that you have both the ETYs and the Shures. Which do you listen to more often, and when?

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 100
Quote:

Thanks, gtp!

When I said "hold up over the long haul" I actually meant in terms of listening pleasure. I see that you have both the ETYs and the Shures. Which do you listen to more often, and when?

Well, I ended up liking the Shures after about a week. Really liked them in fact. But then I went back to the Etys for a day and I did realize I was missing some highs with the E500. On the other hand, with the Etys I was missing those amazingly textured and detailed bass/lower mids of the E500s.

Sigh, unfortunately, there is just no perfect IEM yet. Take the E500 sound from 500Hz down and the ER4 sound from 500Hz up, and that would be heaven to me.

Anyhow, in the end I found that I could EQ the Etys to have bass close to the E500, but I couldn't EQ the E500 to have highs close to the Etys.

Therefore, FOR ME, I chose to stick with the Etys and sell the E500. This is just a personal choice and there are many others who prefer the E500/SE530 to the Etys.

I recommend you spend a couple of weeks with both and decide for yourself.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 100
your impressions are spot-on. while most people agree that they have a severe lack of highs, i haven't found many people who agree with me that the bass is bloated. the thumping is distracting to me, especially in music that is inherently bass-heavy. yes, they do sound awesome with certain music, where the midrange is emphasized, however, i find it utterly ridiculous to spend $350 (or any amount) on an earphone where a significant portion of the music is recessed or missing.

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #10 of 100
Quote:

Anyhow, in the end I found that I could EQ the Etys to have bass close to the E500, but I couldn't EQ the E500 to have highs close to the Etys.

By the way, when you say EQ do you mean the Eq settings in the iPod, or is there another way to EQ them? Sorry if that sounds dumb, I'm just a little new to portable audio.

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #11 of 100
Quote:

By the way, when you say EQ do you mean the Eq settings in the iPod, or is tehre another way to EQ them? Sorry if that sounds dumb, I'm just a little new to portable audio.

Yes, although I use Rockbox on my Ipod for it's fully parametric 5-band EQ. A bonus is that with Rockbox, there is no hiss with IEMs (there is hiss with the Apple firmware).

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #12 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Friskyseal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't worry, the shure bandwagon will be here any minute to tell us how wrong we are and how those highs really aren't that important anyway... =D

since you're baiting, i guess it doesn't make you any better than them eh? and if they're bandwagon fans, i guess you're a shure hater?

but yeah, i noticed some rolled off highs which kinda turned me off.. i still liked my e4c enough to buy the e500 though.

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #13 of 100
Quote:

Yes, although I use Rockbox on my Ipod for it's fully parametric 5-band EQ. A bonus is that with Rockbox, there is no hiss with IEMs (there is hiss with the Apple firmware).

Sorry, what's Rockbox? Is it an alternate OS for the iPod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back