EA RP21 disassemble?
Nov 25, 2007 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

zombieDave

500+ Head-Fier
Has anybody taken apart their Equation Audio RP21's yet? I'd like to break them down and re-paint those horrible-looking bronze-colored earcups, but it's not easily apparent (to me anyway) how to do it. Thanks in advance for any help offered. [size=small]zD[/size]

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 8
Awhile back, a user did a complete recable/rewire of their RP21. I remember seeing a picture of a completely disassembled RP21 in his thread.

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 8
WOW. it seems my memory is very bad. after searching through head-fi search + google cache...I was about to tell you that it was troyhoot (he's also re-wired+recabled his rp21 I believe). But the member who made a thread about the rewired and recabled rp21 was warrior05. I don't know how I didn't realize it. He's even made me a custom rp21 cable (of which is right next to me right now as I listen to the rp21 out of my laptop).

Here ya go,
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rp-...-8-mod-247243/

--
ah someone beat me to it.

Nov 26, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 8
1. take off pads.
2. remove 3 screws
3. separate driver plate from housing plate.
4. 3 more screws
5. little black cap for looks comes off.
6. Now if your going to paint. Might as well desolder the wires.
7. carefully remove the wishbone ends one at a time from the housing plates and set aside.
8. Now since your this far you might as well rewire the things!! It really does make a big difference.
9. 2 screws above wishbone. Take apart the ball cover and remove the wishbones.
10. Hard part. very carefully pry apart the wishbone. 3 spots of glue and 4 nipples to unsnap.
11. 2 more screws on each side of the headband.
12. Make sure you take the headband apart over a cloth or similar. There is a ball bearing on each side for the headband adjustments.
13. The wires are glued in a couple spots so you have to take apart headband in stead of trying to fish through with old wires.

I actually just used some blu-tak like stuff today and covered the inside of the housing behind the driver plate. The little time I have had so far its made a difference in clarity and separation of instruments. Ill have more time hopefully this week and I can comment more on that. 15 week old baby in the house is very demanding of my time.

If you need anymore tips/info Ill try to check this at work tomorrow.

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks very much all, esp. troyhoot. I've never re-wired before, but I'm tempted to start w/these. Troyhoot - how long is the cup-to-cup wire, if you remember?

Cute baby pic! [size=small] zD[/size]

Nov 26, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 8
about 24" or close to that. I ran 2 wires from cup to cup so I had seperate ground wire instead of using the shield of a wire for ground like the stock wiring. When you do this you have to either use fairly small wire or enlarge the hole in the ball coupling above the wishbone. I enlarged mine. I just used starquad wire for mine since my main cable and amp cables are all starquad anyway.

About to drop baby at daycare and head to work. Ill try to check this thread later if you need anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back