E5c vs Full cans.
Oct 17, 2004 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

raptor18

100+ Head-Fier
I did try to search for this topic but i didn't find any valuable information.
I might get a pair of Shure e5c but i was wondering, how is the bass on the e5 compared to full size cans? I cannot imagin the e5 to give as much punch and bass as for example my grado sr60. Is it even possible to compare in-ear canals to full cans? How is the comparison in general btw in-ear and full size cans?

Thank you!

Regards
Raptor

Oct 17, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 22
I didn't have the E5 but the UM2 for a short while. Supposedly, they sound very similar. The UM2 sounds like a full size can, and that includes the bass. From what I remember, the bass is stronger than quite a few full size cans - HD555, Beyer DT250-80, HD280, I think the HD590 and maybe some more. I've never tried the SR60, but if it's anything like the MS1, the bass impact won't be the same, although it's still quite good. Actually, I think you'd get a headache if it were any stronger because the impact is right in your head. In short, I'm pretty sure that bass won't be an issue.

Oct 17, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 22
Cool. I have the Etymotic ER-4P and i want to sell them to get even better canalphones. The comparison between the ETy and full size cans is very obvious, the ety's cannot deliver the bass and punch as the full size cans (sr60) can,not even close. The Ety's are wonderful in it's way, but not in the bass way for me=).

Raptor

Oct 17, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor18
Cool. I have the Etymotic ER-4P and i want to sell them to get even better canalphones. The comparison between the ETy and full size cans is very obvious, the ety's cannot deliver the bass and punch as the full size cans (sr60) can,not even close. The Ety's are wonderful in it's way, but not in the bass way for me=).
Raptor

I own the Ety 4P/S and the Shures.
With the help of equalization the Etys are capable of delivering sufficient bass.I use them sometimes at home when I need the isolation.
With good EQ I prefer the Etys.
Driven by a portable there is no reasonable way to let the Etys shine.
The built-in EQs of the portable players I've tested are crap.
You could EQ them on the PC and write the EQed songs back to the HD but since an appropriate EQ attenuates most of the frequenzies by -6 dB you would need a portable amp in addition to the player.
All those hassles and an additional amp isn't exactly what I'd call convenient and truely portable.
That's the only reason why I keep the Shures, they deliver more bass unequalized and directly driven by a portable player, but soundwise they are definitely no upgrade IMO.

Oct 17, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 22
First of all I'm using an SR-71 to drive the two, but E5's feel about 80% of the HD650's. The E5's lack the extension in highs and lows (especially in the highs where the 650's really outshine the canalphones) and the bass is a bit forward so they aren't nearly as balanced. Of course, the soundstage is also constricted comparatively. Otherwise, the two have similar clarity, resolution and speed. These are also with the stock cables and I am saving to try some Zu or Oelbach cables but they'll have to come after I upgrade my source (again.
frown.gif
)

Oct 17, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 22
I think the differences between canal phones, headphones and even speakers boils down to air movement. A quality example of any of them will produce sounds at frequencies that approach or exceed our ability to hear them. The lower frequencies are a bit different in that at the lowest level of hearing you feel the bass more than you hear it with speakers. Headphones and clearly canal phones cannot produce these feelings because they cannot move enough air. It IMO is not so much whether or not the canal phone produce the low frequencies but more that they are not what we have come to expect.

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 22
I have had the CD3000 and currently have the e5c.

I don't think the E5cs compare or compete anywhere close to the CD3000 in terms of soundstage and the spectrum of sound. No highest highs and the bass cannot compete to the CD3000 bass. I really think full sized headphones are closer to the "ideal" sound.

That being said, I think that the E5c has a lot more detail especially closer to the lower end close to the bass.

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamelBackCinema
I have had the CD3000 and currently have the e5c.

I don't think the E5cs compare or compete anywhere close to the CD3000 in terms of soundstage and the spectrum of sound. No highest highs and the bass cannot compete to the CD3000 bass. I really think full sized headphones are closer to the "ideal" sound.

That being said, I think that the E5c has a lot more detail especially closer to the lower end close to the bass.

Camel, quick question for ya... how does radiohead sound on the e5's (esp OkC)?

Oct 18, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #9 of 22
Are these IEMs designed more for live performance? If you used these on stage they would sound more full i bet. You would feel the bass from the PA or the stage speakers but you would hear the highs and mids from the IEMs I wonder if this is how they are designed?

Oct 18, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
Are these IEMs designed more for live performance? If you used these on stage they would sound more full i bet. You would feel the bass from the PA or the stage speakers but you would hear the highs and mids from the IEMs I wonder if this is how they are designed?

No... the idea of having IEM's is to have it completely replace the need for any sort of stage speakers. Granted, some musicians still prefer to have monitor speakers in combination with some "ported" IEM's (which doesn't offer much sound isolation), but that's just really bad for your ears.

Lower-end IEM's, namely single driver IEM's, just can't cover the entire sound spectrum up to the expectation of a full-size headphone. As much as people will argue that you can EQ or amp the ER-4, their bass will never sound like the same type of fullness that you get from full-size headphones.

Granted, I've never tried the UM2, but E5c was in my experience the first step in the IEM ladder that really starts to sound like a full-size headphone. Of course, compared with headphones in its price class, it won't be as good, given the extra cost associated with miniaturization; but it is impressive in its own way, and very adequate portable replacement for most full-size headphone experience.

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me
Camel, quick question for ya... how does radiohead sound on the e5's (esp OkC)?

Well, honestly I think that the e5c are very suited to Radiohead's style of music. I don't believe they have the necessary separation that I look for in full sized headphones but they do their job. The "eerie atmosphere" of radiohead songs are very well represented because of the e5c's ability to make Thom's voice come alive in a sense that the e5cs kind of make you feel like there is this movement of air and a mixture of how fast or slow the sound fades or decays. I really enjoy it. That being said, I don't think I need to tell you that these headphones are very very suited for a wide range of music. Radiohead is definitely a great one.

OK Computer is by far their best album, and I will admit that airbag and paranoid android sound completely amazing! I will also admit that I am very biased.

Oct 19, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor18
I think the Er-4P sounds a bit "thin". How does the E5c compare to that? My grado sr60 for example sounds very "full" and wide. Am i making sense?

"Thin" would be the last word that anyone use to describe E5c.

Oct 19, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamelBackCinema
Well, honestly I think that the e5c are very suited to Radiohead's style of music. I don't believe they have the necessary separation that I look for in full sized headphones but they do their job. The "eerie atmosphere" of radiohead songs are very well represented because of the e5c's ability to make Thom's voice come alive in a sense that the e5cs kind of make you feel like there is this movement of air and a mixture of how fast or slow the sound fades or decays. I really enjoy it. That being said, I don't think I need to tell you that these headphones are very very suited for a wide range of music. Radiohead is definitely a great one.

OK Computer is by far their best album, and I will admit that airbag and paranoid android sound completely amazing! I will also admit that I am very biased.

lol... when it comes to radiohead, i am too. ok computer is definitely my favorite album, but i love all of them... especially the ones after OkC. think this just confirmed the fact that i am going to have to get the e5's. not sure how canal phones perform in the "real world", but i don't think i care anymore. so what if i dont hear buses and cars and people yelling my name. now i just have find a good price...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back