E500s: Too MUDDY! No highs! Suggestions?
Jul 15, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #16 of 38
I mostly use treble boost with my e500..if i use them straigth from my ipod.
otherwise an amp will help with the problem.

And I know this sounds stupid, try to get your ears cleaned..by a doctot NOT a cotton stick...

BTW you are a prime candidate for the q-JAYS when they hit the stores..

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #17 of 38
i suggest you use try an amp with the bass boost on with the EQ. that does the trick for me..
good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #18 of 38
That's true. Shure E500 are rolled-off around 10-12kHz, I hear it and it's annoying, so these are IEMs not for me. I'd also recommend Ety's ER4P + adapter turning them into ER4S if necessary.
Regarding HD595 - they have a huge bass potential but you have to know how to pull the bass triger. Use tube or FET amplifier instead of classic SS or use resistors in series with each transducer as described in many threads about HD 595.

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #19 of 38
shiz i read your post wrong!
thought you weren't getting enough bass... that is how i feel with my e500's. it is freakin late. :p

as for your dilemma, im not to sure... with the e500's their isn't enough bass for me sometimes.

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #20 of 38
Something is wrong here.

The tips could be the wrong fit, or something is amiss with your source.

Compare earphones through a simple DAP with flat eq of known quality with hi rez files.

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #21 of 38
My experience as a longtime Ety owner who also has SE530's:
There are highs, they are just as the extreme top frequencies and lots of bass(almost if someone took the EQ sliders and made a smiley face
icon10.gif
)

The first thing I discovered was that I was shoving them too deep into my ears (Ety owner, what can say?).
Once I put them in only deep enough to make a good seal did they come more into balance.
The other thing was getting the correct tips of course. I settled on the medium olive tips.
Lastly, I did some comparisons with lossless vs. AAIF files.
The compressed files sounded more distant and muddy in the midrange than the lossless files did.

The Ety's are still a better balanced IEM apart from having less bass, but I keep going back to the Shures for the big bass when I feel the need.
TR

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #22 of 38
If you can wait, the Westone 3 might be worth trying, but it's been on delay since January and there's still no date set. I'm not sure you want to join the growing crowd of frustrated people who preordered. I really believe your best bet would be to try the Triple Fi. It's an obvious choice actually. Those who prefer it over the E500 are in the minority, but they claim it's got the highs and it's more lively and animated than the 500s. The Etys alone aren't going to have the bass you're looking for, though I've read that using an amp with good synergy (ie. Xin Micro) can work wonders.

Just one thing I'm wondering... were you using a different source with the Sennheisers? If so, that could be part of the difference you're hearing, because the iPOD nano (or 5.5 with Rockbox even) as a source is sort of mediocre. This can be greatly improved by getting an iMOD (Skylab says it's the best $200 he's ever spent), or by using the line-out. Though I believe you said something about keeping costs down...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #23 of 38
- James, thanks for those full-cans suggestions. I had developed somewhat of a brand loyalty to Sennheiser just out of convenience really - so many cans out there to choose from it's a little bit daunting so it's easiest to just stick with the brands I know. -_- In five years when I can afford a decent home setup I'll look into those...

- Dexter, yeah I definitely won't wait for the Westones. I have something coming up in less than a month (hospital stay) where I want the best sound I can possibly get. That's an interesting point about source actually; yes, with my Sennheisers I've always used them either straight from my laptop or through my Klipsch computer speakers. I know the ipod is a deficient source: I do plan to iMod it in the future. I hope to run FLAC > Imod > ALO Cryo X Silver > RSA Hornet > Cans. And with that setup I can hopefully use full size cans too: 650s or one of the others suggested. But, one thing at a time...

- I'm gonna swap my E500s for triple.fi's in the next week; I'll report back here when I get them. If I don't love them I'll return them, get a much cheaper IEM, and then start saving for a full-size setup.

Thanks again!

Jul 15, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #24 of 38
You have another options after check TF10Pro like Westone 3, SF5Pro, Denon C700 and D2000(fullsize)......

Jul 23, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Friskyseal
I'm gonna swap my E500s for triple.fi's in the next week; I'll report back here when I get them. If I don't love them I'll return them, get a much cheaper IEM, and then start saving for a full-size setup.

Yeah, let us know. What I dislike about Shure's is their polite highs. I don't know why some people think they sound balanced but they don't to me, and so you aren't alone.

The TFP10 is definitely a brighter sounding IEM, and has been on my wish list for a while (once I see them for a good deal, I'm going to grab a set for myself).

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Friskyseal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies so far.

- Yes I've been using bi-flanges - they're the only tips that I can get a proper seal with. (I'd still like to try the new black foamies.) I don't want anyone to get the impression that it's a fitting problem, I seriously doubt it is because in that case it would be a lack of bass. (I definitely had this problem in the beginning with the other tips, but feel like I've solved it.)

- EQ off yes, and I only use FLAC files.

- Ety's don't seem very appealing to me because I DO want a lot of bass - like I said this was the problem with the 595s - not warm enough and too harsh - but I still want neutrality...I mean at some point bassiness just gets ridiculous. I should be clear that the E500's still sound GOOD (if not great) - it's just that they don't really sound any better than my $75 HD280's, and are worse in some respects.

- I agree it may simply be that universal IEMs won't offer the sound I'm looking for - I'd keep the E500's in that case because I still want a nice portable phone - but I wanted to know if the alternatives improved on my complaints. (I have no doubt that custom UE-10 Pro's would solve my problems but unfortunately it's out of my price range.)

- I'm listening to them now (E500.) On electronic songs it just doesn't feel like all the sounds are meshing together that well. The electronic "sparkles" feel disconnected from the bass beat.

- The Triple.Fi's look like an appealing alternative - at least according to their frequency chart they look more neutral than the E500's. The only reason I didn't consider them was because I wanted a more flush fit so I can use them to exercise with and the E500s looked a lot more comfortable (For my first IEM comfort was extremely important.) But I'd definitely be willing to give them a shot if anyone else recommends them over the E500.

The ETY ER4p/s has lots of bass that that goes down to the limits of hearing but remains clean & tight. It never covers up the midrange or treble. It's just very well balanced at least to my ears. Absolutely no muddy sound ever period.

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #27 of 38
For me E500 is perfect. Bass is perfectly rounded off, and the highs are there, they just dont stand out as much. They do not have "too much bass". Perfect is what it is.

Jul 24, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #28 of 38
http://www.livewiresforyou.com

^^^says it all!

I've just read some reviews comparing LIVEWIRES to Sensaphonics, the company has been making IEMs for BLACK SABBATH and such!
biggrin.gif

Maybe I'm biased but the company's PR hasn't contacted me (I'd like a free pair though
biggrin.gif
)

Jul 26, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #29 of 38
ugh........................

no, no, no, no, no, no!!!

the triple.fi's suck. that isn't really hyperbole. maybe a little. for $400 they suck. i find them very BORING. boring is the word. not really fun. the bass is good, fixes most of the muddiness of the e500 but still a little muddiness on songs that have a "bass-line" (like house songs.) they fix the treble; the treble's back, but eh, at least the e500s had really sweet midrange that made them stand out, fun to listen to certain songs, so i don't really like the trade-off. both are unacceptable for the price.

kinda analytical, a little fatiguing, not fun at all. boring!

i like the fit though, and that they're easy to take out.

so, blegh, here we go again...zarim you're up...(and others)

1. super.fi 5 pro - more fun? musical? i'm worried about too much bass though. like i said i like the fit of these.
2. ETYs - somebody please convince me, because now i've changed my perspective on these. as long as they have -some- bass, maybe they're exactly what i'm looking for.
3. Westone 2's - earphone solutions describes them as the most "musical" and balanced. i'm not willing to wait for 3's, and kind of hesitant to spend $400 on IEMs again.

i don't understand, because i grew up listening to crappy sony and apple earbuds, that's all i ever had, and i never had a problem with them. so i really want to love a pair of IEMs. but so far nothing is matching my $150 klipsch thx 2.1 pc speakers.

thanks.

Jul 26, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Friskyseal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ugh........................

1. super.fi 5 pro - more fun? musical? i'm worried about too much bass though. like i said i like the fit of these.

ultimate ears' super.fi line sounds delicious. may not be the most ANALytical 'phone, but makes smiles more than a happy meal late at night.

umm i might get slaughtered but im kind of against modifying headphones unless they contribute to its comfort. if you have to modify an IEM ever to make you like it, you chose the wrong one.

i would suggest some amplification to extend the lower end and sweeten the higher end first.

the Ray Samuels Tomahawk seems to be the cure-all with IEMs and even headphones sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back