E500 PTH from SHURE
Jul 13, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #33 of 121
Wow! Sweet! So it comes with 2 different lengths of extension cables? The case looks weird!
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #35 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice
....I wish I had a plane ride to go on soon, I'd love to hear how they fare with airplane noise.

FWIW, I'm going to be traveling via airline every week until mid-august... send those suckers to me and I'll give them the acid test
etysmile.gif

I promise to return them promptly
tongue.gif

meh, I'm just jealous... congrats anyway!

Jul 13, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #36 of 121
Thanks for the early comments and the nice pictures, thrice. Now I don't regret my pre-order at all, but the wait is gonna be worse than ever.

Your description of the sound with the PTH makes me think about the level attenuator I used once, to try and remove some hissing I had with the E5c and X5L. It succeeded, but it also removed everything I liked in the first place, impact, dynamics, etc... I guess the PTH works the same way, and I won't be using it at all.

Jul 13, 2006 at 9:40 AM Post #37 of 121
SH** , I guess I'am getting them....
very_evil_smiley.gif
The GS-1000 made me go crazy...And now this...I've convinced myself that IEMs would never sound as good as headphones but the pure sexiness of this thing made me give in....
frown.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #38 of 121
Congrats!

Is there a remarkable or noticeable difference when using an amp with the E500? I ordered these and now I am wondering if I need an amp as well. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #39 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Congrats!

Is there a remarkable or noticeable difference when using an amp with the E500? I ordered these and now I am wondering if I need an amp as well. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't really had enough time with it yet to really say. Plus, I don't have a portable amp right now (gotta build one).

Jul 13, 2006 at 11:45 AM Post #40 of 121
Quote:

I haven't really had enough time with it yet to really say. Plus, I don't have a portable amp right now (gotta build one).

Try em in your main rig.
wink.gif

The question was asked before but I don't think it was answered, is there a second plain ole cable included in the package for when one doesn't want to use the PTH?

Jul 13, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #41 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Try em in your main rig.
wink.gif

The question was asked before but I don't think it was answered, is there a second plain ole cable included in the package for when one doesn't want to use the PTH?

I will eventually, right now my balanced M3 is set up for the K1000 (very high gain) and that won't fly with these....I need to go in there and take out the OPA637s and then I can lower the gain and put in some OPA627s or ADXXXX.

I will do that this weekend. I actually want to try them with a Headroom micro amp w/Desktop module....a friend of mine has one, so I'm looking forward to getting some time with that sort of rig.

Cables:

It came with two extension cables:

3 foot long cable
9 inch cable

Jul 13, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #42 of 121
And indeed...there is a question not often heard. I would use an IEM mostly at home with my main rig, which has a balanced out (and no traditional 3 pole connection). So currenty I couldn't connect any IEM and I have no information about running them balanced.

To further complicate the question the E500 has a crossover too. So, anyone here with good contact to Shure?

How risky is to replace the connector? I remember some Sony Fontopias from a few years back. They had some kind of isolation on the wires. I could not solder them at all, just at the "end points", which were prepared by the manufacturer. So cutting the the mini jack might by a wrong decision. (As for disassembling the mini jack - well, I think most of the times that is not an option).

How would the E500 corssover react to balanced drive? (However most of the speakers are having assymentrical crossover networks and they do work with balanced drive, that is still a question).

I think these are all valid questions since the E500 is aimed to the audiophile community...

Quote:

currently listening...mmmmmm IEM goodness.

So far, I'm impressed
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm running them out of my iPod unamped....the isolation is excellent, we have a busy office, lots of phone call noise.

I wonder if I can wire these for balanced operation?
blink.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #43 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Banfi T.
And indeed...there is a question not often heard. I would use an IEM mostly at home with my main rig, which has a balanced out (and no traditional 3 pole connection). So currenty I couldn't connect any IEM and I have no information about running them balanced.

To further complicate the question the E500 has a crossover too. So, anyone here with good contact to Shure?

How risky is to replace the connector? I remember some Sony Fontopias from a few years back. They had some kind of isolation on the wires. I could not solder them at all, just at the "end points", which were prepared by the manufacturer. So cutting the the mini jack might by a wrong decision. (As for disassembling the mini jack - well, I think most of the times that is not an option).

How would the E500 corssover react to balanced drive? (However most of the speakers are having assymentrical crossover networks and they do work with balanced drive, that is still a question).

I think these are all valid questions since the E500 is aimed to the audiophile community...

You might want to try PM'ing Head-Fi member Sugarfried, he's works at Shure and has been extremely helpful to me and other members in the past. If he can't anwser you're questions directly I'm sure he can either track down the answers or direct you to someone who can.

Jul 13, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #44 of 121
Thanks I PM him to look into this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
You might want to try PM'ing Head-Fi member Sugarfried, he's works at Shure and has been extremely helpful to me and other members in the past. If he can't anwser you're questions directly I'm sure he can either track down the answers or direct you to someone who can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back