E500 Less Than Expected
Aug 19, 2007 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

Logman

Head-Fier
I just received my Shure E500's from the ebay guy this afternoon. While they sound great for IEM's, I was surprised at how noticeable the rolled off highs were. I didn't think my ears were good enough to notice (according to my wife, I have lousy hearing).

I compared them to my PK1's and the difference was obvious. Has anyone else noticed a big difference? I am still experimenting with different foamies, so things may get better.

Aug 19, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 100
I've read several threads with the same "rolled-off treble" theme. I've also read that E500 is a good bit better than E4 which I once owned. It seems that this is the Shure house sound which I have written off for good.

My ER4 is where it ends for me.
etysmile.gif

Good luck and I hope they work out for you.

Aug 19, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 100
Yeah, you're pretty much spot on. Rolled off highs = smooth to some people. Personal perferences there.

Different ear tips will primarily change how the bass sounds (more seal = more bass). But it won't magically add what is not there.

You might want to give the Triple.Fi's a try. They have all the treble you can ever want (too much for some). And all the juicy bass too. I find the upper mids a tiny bit less foward compared to the rather foward midrange of the E500's.

Other than that, there really aren't any other universal fit IEM's that can match or exceed the E500/SE530 in detail. Everything else is a lower end product. Only other contender would be the Westone 3, but they've been delayed and not available yet.

What's your source? iPod? Home rig? Computer rig? Using a headphone amp?

-Ed

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 100
My source is a 5th Gen iPod lineout into a C&C box amp. I am pretty new to this hobby and wanted to see if an amp really made a difference (it does - even on low impedence phones).

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My source is a 5th Gen iPod lineout into a C&C box amp. I am pretty new to this hobby and wanted to see if an amp really made a difference (it does - even on low impedence phones).

Yeah, the biggest difference with IEM's is the noise levels. Many headphone outputs are hiss city on portable players.

-Ed

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #7 of 100
I decided to sell my E500 because of the rolled off highs. With the triflanges, there was way too much bass and it wasn't quality bass, it got muddy very quickly in some heavy metal tracks with fast bass lines. Then, I changed for the black olive foamies, and the sound was a little bit better, but no sparkling highs as I like them. Too much laid back mids, too much bass for my tastes, I prefered listening to my KSC75 than to the E500, that means a lot...

Anyway, there's a used pair of ER4P on the way, which is one of my last attemps in the world of universal IEMs.

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided to sell my E500 because of the rolled off highs. With the triflanges, there was way too much bass and it wasn't quality bass, it got muddy very quickly in some heavy metal tracks with fast bass lines. Then, I changed for the black olive foamies, and the sound was a little bit better, but no sparkling highs as I like them. Too much laid back mids, too much bass for my tastes, I prefered listening to my KSC75 than to the E500, that means a lot...

Anyway, there's a used pair of ER4P on the way, which is one of my last attemps in the world of universal IEMs.

Have you tried the Triple.Fi's? They might be a good fit for you.

-Ed

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the Triple.Fi's? They might be a good fit for you.

-Ed

No, but I've had the Super.fi 5 Pro for a while and they were *very* uncomfortable and I heard the Triple.fi Pro have pretty much the same fit...
frown.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #10 of 100
Accentuated highs aren't more detail. It's treble brightness. There are details to be portrayed at all frequencies.

I had Ety ER4's for years, until I recently got the E500's. I kept telling myself that the Ety's had bass. They do, but are not sufficiently extended for me anymore. Plus, the Shures actually have soundstage.

If you want a scalpel to pick apart your music, get the Ety's. If you want to listen to music, keep the Shures.

Oh, and Triple-Fi's are uncomfortable to me.

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Accentuated highs aren't more detail. It's treble brightness. There are details to be portrayed at all frequencies.

Amen. If I felt like making my signature really big I would quote this.

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #12 of 100
I've not heard the PK-1's, but now own the E500, along with a few other IEM's. The E500's sound very lack-luster when I initially switch from a brighter sounding IEM; however, after I've gotten used to the E500's sound after a few hours or so (without constant switching back and forth with another IEM) I've found the sound quality very enjoyable across the entire sound spectrum.

My suggestion would be to give them, and only them, a listen for a few days to adjust. Then switch to the PK-1's to see which you prefer. Chances are, though, you'll end up liking them both for entirely different reasons.

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 100
Quote:

I had Ety ER4's for years, until I recently got the E500's. I kept telling myself that the Ety's had bass. They do, but are not sufficiently extended for me anymore. Plus, the Shures actually have soundstage.

If you want a scalpel to pick apart your music, get the Ety's. If you want to listen to music, keep the Shures.

Just got the e500s, and that pretty much sums up my initial impressions.

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 100
Quote:

Love that quote!!
k1000smile.gif
cool.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #15 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, but I've had the Super.fi 5 Pro for a while and they were *very* uncomfortable and I heard the Triple.fi Pro have pretty much the same fit...
frown.gif

Yeah, the Triple.Fi's use the same ear tips, so they won't work for you then.

Quote:

Yes, but with the E500's you have to strain to hear those details or crank the volume. For instance, cymbal strikes just sound more dull and boring with the E500's compared to the Triple.Fi's. Not saying the E500's sound like crap, I just prefer the sound of the Triple.Fi's. I am biased in that I prefer the R10's, and tend to lean towards other headphones sounding more like them.

Quote:

LOL, very true about the ER-4's. They are just not in the same league as the E500 and Triple.Fi.

Quote:

I wouldn't go as far as to call the Ety's a "scalpel", as they are not even as detailed as the E500. I could more easily pick out individual instruments and details in the different sounds with the E500. (along with the Triple.Fi as well.)

Quote:

Just goes to show, that you must try out IEM's for yourself. Even if they sound great, it's of no use if you can't stand to wear them for any period of time. For me, foamies on the Shure line are better. The silicones on the Ultimate Ears line are better for me than their foamies.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back