E5 / UM2 Dilemma...
Nov 7, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominode
I'm not certain where the "UM2's are more comfortable" refrain springs from,but I doubt both E5's and UM2's would feel comfortable to people with smallish ears,simply because the housing containing the drivers is designed to nest on a ridge of cartilage within your outer ear (I could provide the proper anatomical label,however most people,myself included until recently,would simply go "Huh",or "What"?).
You say you auditioned the E5's for 3 minutes and found them somewhat awkward to insert? You mentioned too that you have E4's. I'll hazard a guess and state that the first time you used the E4's you found them slightly awkward to use as well. I have both the E4's and E5's,and I personally find the 5's easier to place than the 4's,although it's a matter of a few seconds for both. I'm waiting on two sets of UM56 inserts (Made by Westone for the UM2's,but can also be moulded for Shure E1 and E5's),so I'm certain there will be many "awkward moments" until I'll used them enough times so that it's second nature.
Regarding your decision indecision,I suggest that you order both from the same source,then test them out using an non-Eq'd source for a few days. Oh,and order an extra set of Westone's short Compy canal tips.
Let your ears decide for you. Send the losing pair back for refund/credit and eat the restocking fee of 10-15 percent. I highly recommend Earphonesolutions (three orders placed so far) as your source. And yes,they ship internationally.
I think if you shop carefully,you'll find that the priced difference is somewhat less than the $80-100 difference you state. In addition to the extra year on the basic warranty,should your E5's crap out after the warranty expiration, Shure will repair or fix them for a flat fee of $100.
Check their website out for details.
Post back with whatever your purchase decision is.
Good luck!

This is simply “One of the Best Replies" that I have seen.

I was ready to reply and after reading this, I found that I didn’t really need to; you said everything that I would have given as advice.

I am so happy that you addressed the comfort issue, I have not experienced any discomfort issues with these, and I know that I cannot be that unique, In the beginning the Shure E5C was the “Dual-Driver sweetheart”, This reminds me of one of those let’s all hate Microsoft type situations just substitute with “Shure E5C”.

The thing that is so funny is that I have stated in the past when people say things like, the E5C is $500 that no one pays that for them, and I am not that great at finding the lowest prices (when I looked for mine, I got them for $344), and it was well worth the money.

I also find it strange that people say the Shure E5C is hard to drive, these IEM’s are so sensitive, and they get really loud no matter what source I use them with, I always have to turn down the volume when switching from any other IEM.

I think that the bottom line is that people would more than likely be happy with either one (especially if only one existed).

I have heard the same arguments being used to state that one is superior to the other, I would image that these are very similar and that if you want to save a little money you could buy the UM2 and be very happy if you allow yourself to actually listen to the music and not continually read reviews and drive yourself crazy trying to get the highest highs or the lowest lows.

Buy something, be it Shure E5C or UM2 and enjoy them!!!

Nov 7, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #17 of 22
thanks for your answers

I think I'll stick to my initial opinion/choice, I'll get E5s and return them for UM2s if I have issues with highs or confort... but I'm pretty sure I'll like them!!!

thanks again for your help

Nov 7, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #18 of 22
To hit on some of your points:

I too just went from the E4 to the UM2. Ive written a few posts about my hate for them in the beginning. They needed some serious burn in time to compete with the E4s. Now they sound absolutely great and Im sure with more burn in even better.

I have small ears and the UM2s are absolutely the MOST comfortable IEM Ive ever worn. With the thinner cables and the ability to use the same tips I was used to from the E4 on the UM2 it fit as if I didnt even know they were there.

I dont know why people say they need an amp or sound better with an amp. These are so reactive to power that if there was any more going through them for me they would be way too loud on a volume setting of 10. As it is I listen to them on 12 where I used to listen to my E4's at 16, that says a lot.

I feel though that to get the same depth out of the UM2's as the E4 you definitely need EQ changes. They will not sound good right out of the box.

As someone else mentioned, you might want to try the Super.Fi 5 pros. I was looking at them as well and they are cheaper and from what Ive read, sound good out of the box without EQing. The only thing about them is they stick out and I really wanted the most comfortable IEMs.

Nov 7, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3
To hit on some of your points:

I too just went from the E4 to the UM2. Ive written a few posts about my hate for them in the beginning. They needed some serious burn in time to compete with the E4s. Now they sound absolutely great and Im sure with more burn in even better.

I have small ears and the UM2s are absolutely the MOST comfortable IEM Ive ever worn. With the thinner cables and the ability to use the same tips I was used to from the E4 on the UM2 it fit as if I didnt even know they were there.

I dont know why people say they need an amp or sound better with an amp. These are so reactive to power that if there was any more going through them for me they would be way too loud on a volume setting of 10. As it is I listen to them on 12 where I used to listen to my E4's at 16, that says a lot.

I feel though that to get the same depth out of the UM2's as the E4 you definitely need EQ changes. They will not sound good right out of the box.

As someone else mentioned, you might want to try the Super.Fi 5 pros. I was looking at them as well and they are cheaper and from what Ive read, sound good out of the box without EQing. The only thing about them is they stick out and I really wanted the most comfortable IEMs.

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I do believe that the comparison here is between the E5C and UM2 (Both Dual-Driver and very sensitive IEM’s), the E4C is not the same and I don’t think that you can treat the E5C and E4C interchangeably.

Nov 7, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I do believe that the comparison here is between the E5C and UM2 (Both Dual-Driver and very sensitive IEM’s), the E4C is not the same and I don’t think that you can treat the E5C and E4C interchangeably.

Not sure if you caught it but in 'SBB's' original post he mentioned "until now my prefered in-ear headphones are clearly the E4s". I was clearly just giving my impressions as someone who felt the same way and made the step up to the UM2's. In no way was I comparing the E4 to the E5.

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #21 of 22
yeah until now my prefered IEMs are E4s... but if you see where I'm coming from (E3s, ER6is..) that's not that surprising. I immediately loved their detailed and full sound. But overall what I liked the most was the better bass than on E3s. That's why I knew that in the end I'd need dual drivers IEMs. I never upgraded because I had bad headphones (all are nice) but when you start getting IEMs, it's so exciting that you always want more
wink.gif
. And since the very beginning of this story (less than 12 months lol) I always saw E5s as ultimate on-the-go headphones...

I tried to be rational and really tried to consider UM2s as a more reasonable option... But since I still cannot see an obvious reason (even the price or confort lol) to get them over E5s, I think I'll stick to my first choice... I'll think about it during the next few days then I'll use my CC
basshead.gif

So right now I'm way too hesistant for UM2s and I feel more confortable buying E5s... Let's see what happens then
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbb
yeah until now my prefered IEMs are E4s... but if you see where I'm coming from (E3s, ER6is..) that's not that surprising. I immediately loved their detailed and full sound. But overall what I liked the most was the better bass than on E3s. That's why I knew that in the end I'd need dual drivers IEMs. I never upgraded because I had bad headphones (all are nice) but when you start getting IEMs, it's so exciting that you always want more
wink.gif
. And since the very beginning of this story (less than 12 months lol) I always saw E5s as ultimate on-the-go headphones...

I tried to be rational and really tried to consider UM2s as a more reasonable option... But since I still cannot see an obvious reason (even the price or confort lol) to get them over E5s, I think I'll stick to my first choice... I'll think about it during the next few days then I'll use my CC
basshead.gif

So right now I'm way too hesistant for UM2s and I feel more confortable buying E5s... Let's see what happens then
wink.gif

You know best buddy, let us know how u like them.
Nik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back