E4C's for 34USD?
Sep 28, 2007 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

bluey_02

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I have found some E4C's for the amazing price of $34. I'm tossing up whether to buy them or just wait till I have the odd $150 for the updated SE420. I guess what I'm asking here are they worth buying (for someone who doesn't have much money), even though they're an outdated model?

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 34
The E4c are a great pair of IEMs and hold their own against the newer Shure line. Overall, they have a more neutral sound than the SE range although this is a generalization.

My concern would be the $34 price tag. There have been several threads of users buying similarly cheap "E4" only to find that they are fake. With a price like that, I am fairly confident that this is likely the case. Make sure the dealer is reputable and not some Ebay fraud--and remember that solid feedback does not mean that every item sold is genuine.

El Duderino

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 34
Ok thanks for that, in reading your replies I checked the earphones in the Ebay listing against various photos of the E4C through Google, finding that the SHURE branding in the earphones was not the right way...bad news, right? Wrong, I went to the Shure website and while the White model would prove the Ebay item fake, the black one (you select to view it) confirms the Ebay item is in fact real as the Shure labelling is readable on the same side as the Ebay item when the earphones are positioned a certain way. Also as a side note, the bag seems to be of decent quality and I can see nothing wrong with the cable EXCEPT that where you wire splits into two the splitter looks blocky rather than round like the one the white model has. But I'm still not sure, can any E4C owners confirm whether this item is fake?

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 34
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true.

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluey_02 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok thanks for that, in reading your replies I checked the earphones in the Ebay listing against various photos of the E4C through Google, finding that the SHURE branding in the earphones was not the right way...bad news, right? Wrong, I went to the Shure website and while the White model would prove the Ebay item fake, the black one (you select to view it) confirms the Ebay item is in fact real as the Shure labelling is readable on the same side as the Ebay item when the earphones are positioned a certain way. Also as a side note, the bag seems to be of decent quality and I can see nothing wrong with the cable EXCEPT that where you wire splits into two the splitter looks blocky rather than round like the one the white model has. But I'm still not sure, can any E4C owners confirm whether this item is fake?

Dude, let me do you a favor. They're fake. I just looked at the listing and compared it to my Shure E4. It's not just about the logo which is incorrect in any case as the genuine logo has a long section to the letter "R" which extends below the level of the other letters. Secondly, the genuine item has a split enclosure and an obvious joint line between the two halves whereas the fake Ebay one does not. The shape of the Ebay one is more boxy and does not taper as much towards the back as the genuine one when viewed from below. The splitter on the cable is completely the wrong shape. I could go on but, hopefully, you get the idea....

El Duderino

Sep 28, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 34
there's one born every minute...
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Duderino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, let me do you a favor. They're fake. I just looked at the listing and compared it to my Shure E4. It's not just about the logo which is incorrect in any case as the genuine logo has a long section to the letter "R" which extends below the level of the other letters. Secondly, the genuine item has a split enclosure and an obvious joint line between the two halves whereas the fake Ebay one does not. The shape of the Ebay one is more boxy and does not taper as much towards the back as the genuine one when viewed from below. The splitter on the cable is completely the wrong shape. I could go on but, hopefully, you get the idea....

El Duderino

El Duderino wins the prize. These are most definitely FAKE.

In addition to the correct flaws that have ben pointed out, the pouch isn't remotely similar to anything we've ever done.

In a way this counterfeiting is kind of flattering to me, but I still hate that it happens. It's like someone is copying the last 9 years of my career and profiting from it.... disgusting.

Sep 28, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 34
Someone should e-mail the seller or contact eBay about it. Some poor soul will buy them (thinking they got a bargain) - and be put off Shure forever. Whether the buyer is considered by some to be 'stupid' or not is irrelevant, especially if they're unable to compare them with real ones.

I've seen stuff on eBay going for a song and without a reference point to an original, how are you supposed to know?

Bluey, are you going to check them out anyway??? You could ask for a discount
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, a member here recently bought a pair of headphones that went for $48 when the average retail price is between $140 and $200 - and they're not fake. . . so sometimes it can simply be a one-off bargain - not often, mind you, but sometimes.

Sep 28, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #12 of 34
Okay guys thanks for the help, and those that called me a sucker can go lose themselves, read very carefully what I'm about to say: I actually live in Singapore and was planning on meeting up with the guy AND listen to the earphones before making the exchange (on the assumption that if the sound was anything less than exceptional meant they were fake). I admit the low price clouded my judgment but I know very little of smaller details of the E4C, and I did suspect something (as hard as it is to believe). Thank you again for the help El Duderino and Sugarfried.

Sep 28, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 34
No problem. I still highly recommend a pair of Shure E4. They sound great and can be had for a decent price....often on the for-sale forum right here at head-fi.

El Duderino

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gotta be fake or id buy 12 an sell them at $150 each

and then buy a pair of UE-11's?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back