E4C vs UE SF5pro vs Ety - The battle that never ends
Sep 11, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #16 of 17
yes but don't forget to mention the etymotics have harsh, thin sound, with grating treble and no bass whatsoever. oh yeah, they are also heavily distored and have an unnatural decay to fool you ears there is detail. and i saw don wilson dancing with the devil last night, too.

is etymotic discussion an emotional issue for you? =(

This puzzles me; got both here and the difference is very clear to me, they do share a soundsignature but the E4s being better balanced tonally, more detailed and far more enjoyable, letting the musical message through.
If you do not hear the difference it's either the source or your ears.

I only compared the e3cs to the e4cs ONCE for an unsufficient amount of time. This is also when I just got my e4c's, so there wasn't burn in. Now, I can't remember how exactly the e3's sound.

I have all three and had them for quite some time now.

Let's just say the "battle" ended pretty quickly for me.

k. =(

Thanks to everyone else though.

Sep 11, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandcross
yes but don't forget to mention the etymotics have harsh, thin sound, with grating treble and no bass whatsoever. oh yeah, they are also heavily distored and have an unnatural decay to fool you ears there is detail. and i saw don wilson dancing with the devil last night, too.

is etymotic discussion an emotional issue for you? =(

Thanks to everyone else though.

sorry for the thread crap, but i'm tired of seeing the same "theories" parrotted by certain posters on this board. i love ety's, and when someone tells me the only reason the er4s sounds good is because my ears are being "fooled" somehow is beyond preposterous. it's audio snake oil and snobbery of the highest order.

to answer your question, i own both the superfi5pro and ety er4s. i prefer the ety's overall, as they sound more natural. the sfp5 is a very fun iem, with lots of bass, and a bit of fuzziness. the er4s is clearer with shaper attack, and imho needs a good amp to sound really good. the rsa sr-71 amp is an amazing match for the er4s, but were already talking ~$500 us dollars for the combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back