e4c or UM2?
Feb 5, 2008 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ambchang

500+ Head-Fier
I just recently lost my e4c (it really hurts), and I have been using bad quality phones for the last 2 weeks, it is literally torture, enough for me to dish out more $ to get a new pair.

My friend is recommending UM2s, but I was in love with my e4c. I really loved the clear mid and high tones, and I am alright with not having overly heavy bass.

Which one should I go with? And is that extra $100 or so worth it for the UM2?

I listen to a lot of grundge (Nirvana, Alice in Chains), post rock (Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Godspeed), classic rock (Led Zepplin, Eagles), and others like Flaming Lips, SFA, and the like.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 8
If you like clear mids & highs and don't want to spend a lot; You might consider the Altec Lansing iM716's. And they're really much better after the pod mod (podectomy).

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 8
Just wanted to add a few things... I never reco anything I don't have direct personal experience with. Based on what you said you wanted, I reco'd the iM716. I've never heard the e4c's but I do have a lot of "life" experience (which may or may not be helpful - you be the judge).

If you really (I mean REALLY) loved the sound of the e4c's, if they really did it for you, then buy 'em again. But if you have any doubts, then consider your options and buy something else. If you do buy something else, let it be something that that would be a step-up in SQ. Sideways steps can be disappointing... so let it be something that you know would be better.

I (also) own UM2's but can't say how they would differ sonically from the e4c's or if they would be worth the $100. price difference to you. I can tell you what I hear. Source is a Meizu M6SL. I freely use a lot of its sonic adjustments.

The UM2's are a big sound (almost in your face). They're very sensitive. It takes little more than half as much gain to drive them to the same volume as the UM1. You should get ton's of volume from them (yeah I know, not a very scientific statement). The midrange is very full, I think too much so - and I back down on the center frequencies a bit with the EQ. The top end is soft. All the highs are there but a little rolled off. You can bring out a bit more sparkle with an EQ. Others have also said they're soft on top and I'd agree. They certainly don't have the top end detail and resolution of the pod-modded iM716's (which I've read, don't equal the Ety ER4 P or S). The AL's still do have terrific treble extension and resolution. The UM2's don't equal it, but surprisingly they hold their own in other ways. The bass is excellent, it's defined and there's a lot of it. Depending on personal preference (using an EQ), you may want to decrease or even increase it. Additionally, UM2's have a lot of inner detail. Harmonically I can't find fault with them. Some have called them "fun" to listen to, though not the most accurate. Maybe the forthcoming UM3's will claim that title. I can say that they're a balanced, forgiving very easy-to-listen-to sound. I think they're the epitome of fatigue-free listening. You can listen to them all day - happily. I think that's a good thing. (IMHO), I think that IEM's that are unforgiving, that do present the last word in detail and extension can be sonically fatiguing after long periods. But this is a personal call - you know your own preference.

The UM2's offer other intrinsic advantages. They are supremely comfortable to wear, especially with the soft foam comply tips. You can (if necessary) sleep with them on, they don't stick out from your ears. The cables are twisted (not too stiff) and completely non-microphonic. And, if you break 'em, send them to Westone in the USA their CS seems pretty responsive.

I didn't plan to write this much but I hope it helps.

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 8
This is very helpful, thanks.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 8
I had both for awhile but got a pair of e4c well after having become enthralled with my UM2s - the poor guys never had a chance. I always found them bland comparatively but anyone preferring a leaner sound would like them much, I think - they've always been decently regarded here as good all around IEMs, so you could do worse than getting another pair. No contest in comfort or utility - the UM2s rule. Choice would depend much on your source DAP too, but either one is a quality IEM, so you can't lose. Good luck.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ambchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just recently lost my e4c (it really hurts), and I have been using bad quality phones for the last 2 weeks, it is literally torture, enough for me to dish out more $ to get a new pair.

My friend is recommending UM2s, but I was in love with my e4c. I really loved the clear mid and high tones, and I am alright with not having overly heavy bass.

Which one should I go with? And is that extra $100 or so worth it for the UM2?

I listen to a lot of grundge (Nirvana, Alice in Chains), post rock (Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Godspeed), classic rock (Led Zepplin, Eagles), and others like Flaming Lips, SFA, and the like.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

The E4C's are magical headphones to be sure.

I sold mine and upgraded to the SE530's and the E4C's, though not quite as detailed and not quite as 'wide' sounding as the SE530's, and obviously not having the bass HUGENESS of the SE530's, nonetheless, to my most critical ear had a much truer representation of most frequencies ... especially the accuracy of the bass. The E4C's bass, though not as impactful and huge as the SE530's, was still far better sounding in the bass department when considering just natural beauty and accuracy of the tone. Really magical sounding IEM's. I'm stoked on the SE530's ... but wish I hadn't sold my E4C's.

Anyway ... I think the Westone UM2's are definitely worth checking out but you'll pay more than for the E4's. I've heard some enticingly good things about the Westones and really want to try them myself.

The UM2 will have quite a bit better bass impact but I can't say that they'll match the lush and natural sound of the E4's.

Either way would be fun.

Good luck!

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 8
I've used the Westone UM2s as my main headphones before and to tell the truth, I liked everything about the UM2s except the sound signature. If indeed like the sound of the E4cs, "I really loved the clear mid and high tones, and I am alright with not having overly heavy bass." then I'd recommend you just get another pair of E4c's or try the Ety ER-4 S/P.

With that said, the UM2s are by far the most comfortable, easy to use, and well designed universal IEM i've ever used (which is quite a bit actually) and those qualities may be enough to cover the loss of treble sparkle and analytical qualities of the E4c or ER-4s/p for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back