E4C/iPod Bitrate
Jun 5, 2007 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

RCM

100+ Head-Fier
Based on replies to a question I asked on another thread (thanks to all who responded!), I just ordered some E4Cs which will be used straight outta the headphone jack of a stock 5G 30g iPod. This'll be my wife's rig.

Realizing this isn't going to be the best source for SQ, what bitrate have you all used that you think will give the best SQ with the components I'm using? I use lossless with my setup and it's definitely worth the space it takes up, but I assume lossless is a waste of space coming straight out of an unamped stock iPod.

All help appreciated…RC

Jun 5, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 17
I think the best compromise of battery life, space, and SQ is 192 VBR AAC. I can't hear the difference between lossless and 192VBR on my portable rig, so that's the sweet spot for me.

Jun 5, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 17
Regarding space and sound quality i prefer using VBR -V2 lame MP3 files. Most people can't tell the difference between them and lossless even with higher quality setups. So they must sound awesome ...

Jun 5, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 17
I too use either 224 or above aac or most commonly -V2 lame 3.97 MP3 files. I cannot ABX either of these using shure e4c from the ipod, either amped or unamped.

Jun 5, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 17
192 for me since space is a problem with my mini, but I would go higher if I had the capacity.

Jun 5, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 17
I use 320kb aac files and am unable to hear the difference up to lossless on my iMod with Xin SuperMini and E4C whereas I can tell the difference if I go down to 192 aac

Jun 5, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 17
You really need to test for yourself, as everyone has different sensitivity to the artifacts that result from lossy encoding. Personally, I use LAME's -V 5 setting, which creates MP3s that average somewhere around 135kbps. If you don't feel like testing, LAME's -V 2 setting, which creates MP3s averaging around 192kbps but with frames of up to 320kbps as necessary, is transparent to most people.

Jun 5, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use 320kb aac files and am unable to hear the difference up to lossless on my iMod with Xin SuperMini and E4C whereas I can tell the difference if I go down to 192 aac

Yes but read the original post. He is coming off a stock ipod headphone jack, not an imod with a good amp.

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 17
Using LAME -V2 or -V0 myself with the e4c or KSC75, used to go with CBR320 but I don't have any current programs that convert to that for free atm, that and there isn't too much difference that I can be bothered with on my portable.

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 17
Hey all, thanks for the help.

Yeah, I know I oughta just check it for myself, but I really don't care what it sounds like if my wife is happy with it, so I figured I'd save some time.

I just hope she doesn’t like IEMs so much that I've got to get another pair of UE10s...Or UE11s!

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really need to test for yourself, as everyone has different sensitivity to the artifacts that result from lossy encoding.

Yes, X2!

Personally I was a couple of different settings depending on how much the particular music matters to me, as low as 192 vbr, but I have been doing more and more at 320 lately, especially as storage has gotten cheaper and more plentiful.

Jun 5, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkomang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the higher bitrate you use the faster the battery of the iPod drains. I would recommend 192-256 AAC.

Didn't realize that, thanks!

I'm looking at 192 to start, that should work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back