e3c, e4c, e5c, what one?
Sep 29, 2006 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

foges

Head-Fier
Im getting some new headphones and ive been thinking very about the shure e3c's, i really like the black ones (because they are more discreet), they are also not too big and i have heared they are quite good.

I however have the money for the e4c's and possibly the e5c's (if they really do give a lot better sound), so my question to you guys is, should i buy the e4c's (e5c's)? or just stick to the e3c's?

Thanx
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 19
What music do you listen to?
If it's mainstream stuff i'd recommend the e5c, or rather, a UM2
I'd highly recommend um2 because it sounds about the same (well, i think it's a bit better), more comfortable and cheaper
If you listen more to jazz/acoustic music, e4c is the way to go i think

Sep 29, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 19
I guess it is a matter of budget? I was happy with upgrading from e3c to e5c. When knowing I can get a better sound within my budget, I don't want to miss out.
plainface.gif

Currently I'm burning in a pair of new E500. Have you considered these?

Sep 29, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 19
I guess ill have to concider a bit more. The E500's are too expensive.

The difference between the e5c's and um2's isnt really that much (about 20$), I guess my music taste is more mainstream (David Gray, Incubus, 3 doors down, muse, the offspring, RHCP, SOAD, A-Ha, Jan Gabarek, occasional techno/trance). Are the um2's it i alot more comfortable? the cable just doesnt seem very durable, it looks as if it might break from slight wear, whilst the e5c's look more durable.

how are the e3c's in compasion to the e5c/um2, (jooel: did you hear a big improvement when upgrading?)

Sep 29, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 19
It was quite a while ago, so I really can't recall in detail about the difference. However, I clearly remember an improvement (it would be strange otherwise). First time switching from e3c to e5c using them on my way to work I only remember thinking something similar to "this is very nice.." and that I especially reacted on the improved details
etysmile.gif
This was without any burn-in, and I don't know how i would react if trying on the e3c now (unfortunately I can't since they're broken).

My inexperienced advice is to try to afford the e5c if you have any priorities on good sound and if choosing between e3c/e5c. But sure, I was happy with my e3c also, as long as you're not used to better if you understand what I mean.

I don't know anything about the um2.

Bands like Offspring, RHCP and A-ha doesn't sound like music that would make the e5c choice pointless in any way to me. I've listened a lot to A-ha on both e3c and e5c, and of course the sound improvement is there even though it's not as "sensitive" as opera or classical music probably can be.

Sep 29, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 19
With your musical taste, you may prefer the E5 to the E4. Both are very nice, you can read a review in my sig. The E500 is attainable for around $400 from what I understand, is that still out of budget?

Sep 29, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by foges
I guess ill have to concider a bit more. The E500's are too expensive.

The difference between the e5c's and um2's isnt really that much (about 20$), I guess my music taste is more mainstream (David Gray, Incubus, 3 doors down, muse, the offspring, RHCP, SOAD, A-Ha, Jan Gabarek, occasional techno/trance). Are the um2's it i alot more comfortable? the cable just doesnt seem very durable, it looks as if it might break from slight wear, whilst the e5c's look more durable.

how are the e3c's in compasion to the e5c/um2, (jooel: did you hear a big improvement when upgrading?)

If you look CLOSELY on ebay, there's a seller that can sell it for $250 (MAP is the keyword)
Btw, i think the thin wire is much more comfortable, but lasts longer
The e5c's cable turns green after a couple of week's use and i had it replaced once because of a broken memory wire (a piece of crap, and if you strip it off the warranty is void) and the second time, screwed up cord
No problems with the um2s so far, except for a tiny bit of unbraiding because it caught on something and i accidentally yanked it off (STILL in one piece!)
Good luck!

PS: I THINK its this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Westone-UM2-Free...em140035455364
Shoot him a question

Sep 29, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 19
How much better is the e4c compared to the e3c? My e3c has reached retirement and wondering if the e4c is worth £120. I paid £75 for the e3c so is the e4c worth £45 more? Having had a year's listening experience with the e3c I can say that I am unsatisfied with the sound quality, more recently the left nozzle has broken off and for some inexplicable reason the right earpiece has gone very quiet resulting in a skewed soundtstage.

I'm probably going to purchase the e4c regardless but I'll like to hear some encouragement first
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow
How much better is the e4c compared to the e3c? My e3c has reached retirement and wondering if the e4c is worth £120. I paid £75 for the e3c so is the e4c worth £45 more? Having had a year's listening experience with the e3c I can say that I am unsatisfied with the sound quality, more recently the left nozzle has broken off and for some inexplicable reason the right earpiece has gone very quiet resulting in a skewed soundtstage.

I'm probably going to purchase the e4c regardless but I'll like to hear some encouragement first
wink.gif

Is it still under warranty? You know, even if it's not they'll replace it for $50 or so!
I say do that and sell it, funding your new purchase (or send the money to the nice person that told you about it
wink.gif
)

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow

wink.gif

In my opinion, the sound quality of the E4c is about double the SQ of the E3c. (I really don't care for the E3c).

Oct 16, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #13 of 19
How much should i be expecting to pay for a pair of used e4c/g? (without shipping)

Oct 16, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

I love the way my E4 sounds, but I would love to try out the E5c or E500. Though I think it is still early to upgrade.

Don't even consider the E5c over the E500... for the minor cost difference the E500 is night-and-day better.

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 19
You should consider the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro. It's a the top of my list right now and I'm feeling more confortble to invest in an IEM that has user servicable cables. For 20$ you could order a replacement cable and change them yourself... If you bust a Shure cable after the 2 year warranty, you will need to buy a new pair.

From what I have read in this forum, the Super.fi5 pro have a little less noise isolation, slightly less details in the highs, slightly less prominent mids, more base and warmer sound then the Shure e4c. I haven't heard them yet but they will be mine, oh yes, they will be mine (by Jan2007).

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back