E2C's sound like crap...
Dec 25, 2005 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

D41LYBR34Dm4n

New Head-Fier
Something's not right here. My iPod headphones sound better then these things..The E2's are extremely trebly and it says to try to a different shell thing but none of the other ones fit.

Dec 25, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 18
You probably have a bad seal. With IEMs, bad seals are often the cause to people complaining about bad SQ. Try foamies too, you get a way better seal with those.

Dec 25, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by D41LYBR34Dm4n
Something's not right here. My iPod headphones sound better then these things..The E2's are extremely trebly and it says to try to a different shell thing but none of the other ones fit.

I don't have the E2s but the lower end shures are known to have a treble roll-off, not too much treble! I think you have a poor seal/incorrect fit.

Dec 25, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 18
Play for a few days. Excessive treble, especially if it sounds harsh, is a bad seal, without any doubt.

Dec 25, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

I know how you feel , I got E2Cs as a gift this summer...if I had the reciept theyd be gone. You expected what I expected , a full sound from bass to treble . You can mess with those seals forever and theyre not gonna be what you thought . They have almost zero bass...some folks like that.

Dec 25, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

I would agree that they sound like crap, I wouldnt say they are trebly however, they lack resolution and clarity.

Dec 25, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 18
Yeh, I wasn't too impressed by the E2c's when I had them, but I definitely wouldn't go as far as to call them 'crap'. As far as sealed phones go, they are a great value, and that's why I bought them in the first place

The treble was rolled off, but that made them less fatiguing, so I kind of liked that about them

Dec 25, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 18
I too bought the E2Cs on a whim for workout headphones and they well, suck arse. My Sony Fontopia's were a better IEM. The E2Cs not only have treble roll off but almost zero bass (even with a great fit).

I have thought about upgrading my IEMs and haven't gotten around to it.

Dec 25, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 18
e2cs are definately a mids IEM.

they're good cheap IEMs for those seeking isolation however.

I wouldnt expect too much them in regards to sound quality.

Most of us have a lot higher standards on head fi, but for the casual listener e2's sound pretty good.

Dec 25, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #12 of 18
E2C's are not trebly at all, but they are muddy sounding. They should sound reasonably bassy, if not, then they don't fit properly in your ears.

Dec 26, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #13 of 18
>The E2's are extremely trebly and it says to try to a different shell thing but none of the other ones fit.
>I just tried the orange foam things and it sounds nearly exactly the same. Slightly improved, but just barely.

The E2c have a treble roll-off, that's pretty much the consensus around here. It has a pronounced mid and warm bass.

Possible reasons you aren't getting the sound.

-You are not shoving it in correctly (see shure's site for a wearing guide)
-Pressure buildup in ear canal (it sounds rather constipated (better word or lack thereof))
-You aren't listening correctly (it takes sometime to adjust to the sound).

Dec 26, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #14 of 18
I was a bit disappointed when I purchesed my E2c's. After I got a nice seal they sounded pretty good. Not the best or best thump on the bass but yeah.
After I burned them in, The treble was less harsh, better clarity, and improved bass.
Try using an amp with them also.

Dec 26, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #15 of 18
Even "crap" sounds better than the iBuds
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back