e2c versus e3c versus e4c
Mar 21, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #16 of 50
i'm by NO means a big audiophile or anything and i could definately tell the difference between the e2/3 and the stock ipod earbuds...

i did try both the 2 and 3 and the two's just fit in my ear better. a HUGE component of earbuds is how comfortable they are to your ears. i was able to grab a pair of the e2c's for $60 something on some random deal and i've had them since. i would recommend you buy/return the 2's and 3's from bestbuy or circuit city to try them out if you're really worried about it. once you know which ones you want, order them online.

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #17 of 50
thanks! now another question...

for these headphones, and in particular the e3c and e4c, does the white or black color look better in real life? Seems to me the black ones look nicer, and it will fit the color of my ipod, which is also black
orphsmile.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:04 AM Post #18 of 50
I have just received a pair of E4C and have to say that i am very impressed. I am still experimenting with the seals and seem to get the best sound from the mid size grey ones.
I havent heard any other IEM's but went on the advice on this site.
No regrets, just a deep fear of upgradeitis!

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #22 of 50
I have the e3's and really like them. I also like to listen at very low volume much of the time and they work fine for that. However, this past weekend I borrowed a friends e4's and would say they did sound better to my ears. It may have been that I was expecting them to, I don't know. While I enjoyed the e4's, I have no intention of going out and buying a pair (no more headphones, no more headphones, or amps, or cables or etc, etc - damn you Head-Fi)). I had no trouble going back to my e3's. But if starting from scratch, I would go with the e4's (budget allowing). Just my .02

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #23 of 50
I've had the e3c's for 6 months now and yes, whilst they are a clear step up from regular buds in every aspect, you eventually get the feeling that they are just lacking in overall satisfaction. And if you plan to delve further into this hobby i.e get full-size headphones, then no doubt you will see the limits of the e3c.

From what I have been reading about the e4, it seems that they are a more accomplished IEM than the e3c.

So my suggestion: skip straight to the e4

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #24 of 50
Sorry if off topic, but it may apply. If anyone's interested, there is a pair of e5c's for sale (slightly used) at Audiogon for $225. They were just listed. Just search for Shure e5 and they will be the only item to show up. Mentioned since we are on the Shure comparison thread. Oh yeah, I have no affiliation whatsoever with the seller, just figured I'd take a look over there after reading this thread.

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow
I've had the e3c's for 6 months now and yes, whilst they are a clear step up from regular buds in every aspect, you eventually get the feeling that they are just lacking in overall satisfaction. And if you plan to delve further into this hobby i.e get full-size headphones, then no doubt you will see the limits of the e3c.

From what I have been reading about the e4, it seems that they are a more accomplished IEM than the e3c.

Yep so true. I recently sent my e3c's in to get replaced under warranty and I am now thinking about selling them and upgrading to the E4's. I now wish I brought the E4's instead, however at the time I was on a budget. From what I have read about the E4's they seem to be a nice upgrade over the E3's.

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #27 of 50
it really depends on
1) how good you could tell the diffenence in IEM..
2) how good IEM fits you, seal the ear canal comfortablely.
3) how head-fi you plan to get with affordable money.

from stock earbuds to any of shure IEM is great upgrade..
depend on what good price you could get for E2, E3, E4..
normally, price is
E2 $60
E3 $120
E4 $180

sound quality vs. price is not linear correlation.. no way E3 is twice better than E2, and E4 is triple..
so best bang for money is E2, unless you find super low price for E3,E4.

another suggestion is buying it at local store for first pair.. in case, it doesn't fit you, you could always return it without lossing money. if you like it, and want upgrade to better one, you could return and buy a better one or buy better one online with cheaper price when you know for sure you gonna love it.

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow

People will always find IEM's to be somewhat bass-shy, it's the nature of the beast. If you are in any manner a bass-head, you will always be on a quixotic oddesey with this solution. That said, most people accept the comprimise.

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #30 of 50
I listened to 64kbps songs on a low-capacity flash player using IEMs (Etymotics) once. It was OK in a pinch, on a plane flight ... but with good earphones a minimum of 160 would probably be more appropriate.

I use 192 kbps so as to alternate several thousand already-ripped files on both hard drive and flash players. But if I had a 30GB (or higher) player, I might opt for something higher for that ... especially for use with isolating earphones.

You would probably hear some flaws and glitches on 64kbps songs, and maybe 128's, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back