E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Nov 12, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #316 of 1,482
you have to open your mind to the fact, that a P1 (for example), may sound better, than a 10x so expensive in Ears.
Until recently, I had a Stellia, and d8000 home. But the combination of P1 and PDV2 is superior to everything I've heard so far.
And that for 250 €

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #317 of 1,482
Well i guess a lot bought it on 11.11 and it will take some time for the shipping and with 9038d this will get very lifely.
And i agree!.. the only thing i could imagine in the future is a newer version of those DACs. Anything else is completly uninteresting for me because it cant beat the soundquality and has no EQ app.

I also managed to make a refined Sundara preset now that uses the Auto EQ page correction curve.
With the feature that i can load this image with the frequency curve as Background in the EQ app it is so easy to make a matching adjustment with the 7 Biquads..

It sounds amazing now! When i turn it off to stock sound it sounds so dull in comparision.
I need to tweek my shoure tapes next.. they should have high potential to sound interstellar with a nice preset.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #318 of 1,482
Thx.

"Bluetooth mac address of PDV2 will appear on the top of the app usually within 5 seconds "

Unfortunately the PDV2P address does not appear for me.
I killed the task ten times.

(Ja so ein guten Morgen Kölsch, wäre jetzt was feines. Am besten Hellers :wink:)

you need location services enabled also

Nov 12, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #320 of 1,482
I connect it to an old sony phone I use for transport and get excellent sound quality with an excellent UI.

Which Sony? Also, do you have the 9038S Gen1? And does the Sony phone power the 9038S without a powerbank? I'm an iPhone user and lightning port doesn't output enough power to run 9038S w/o powerbank - so I'm hoping to basically do what you're doing, get an older/cheap android phone instead of an expensive dap that probably won't sound as good.

Nov 12, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #322 of 1,482
Still nothing from the 9038D camp ?
I might have to go for a DF Cobalt eventually. I was hoping I would avoid the premium price tag but have been left with no option.

Is waiting not an option? I'm using my crappy sonata HD while waiting for the 9038D, I could spend 100$ in-between to get something better but is there really a point?

Patience is a virtue.

Nov 12, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #323 of 1,482
Which Sony? Also, do you have the 9038S Gen1? And does the Sony phone power the 9038S without a powerbank? I'm an iPhone user and lightning port doesn't output enough power to run 9038S w/o powerbank - so I'm hoping to basically do what you're doing, get an older/cheap android phone instead of an expensive dap that probably won't sound as good.

FWIW, the DX200 measures very close SINAD @ 108. It stands to reason the DX220 would be even better. I'd probably go that direction if I needed it for portable use. Out and about I either use my KSE1200s straight into my iPhone (use to use it w/ a Mojo, but it honestly sounds identical to my ears) or now Airpod Pros.

I get the want to save $$, but there's also something to be said about convenience of having a single-device setup... buy it lightly used, sell it for a moderate loss a couple years down the road when you've moved on to something else.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #325 of 1,482
FWIW, the DX200 measures very close SINAD @ 108. It stands to reason the DX220 would be even better. I'd probably go that direction if I needed it for portable use. Out and about I either use my KSE1200s straight into my iPhone (use to use it w/ a Mojo, but it honestly sounds identical to my ears) or now Airpod Pros.

I get the want to save $$, but there's also something to be said about convenience of having a single-device setup... buy it lightly used, sell it for a moderate loss a couple years down the road when you've moved on to something else.

I appreciate the input, but kind of misses the point. I'm aware that there are $1000 Daps available that would be a better or easier mobile option. But I'm not just looking for any mobile solution, but a specific one related to the 9038S, which I already own.

I also have an ifi XCAN so I'm set for when it comes to lots of mobile power for wired headphones - a criminally underrated device imo - it even pairs well with the 9038S because it has 2.5 balanced input.

One question: by KSE1200 you mean the Shure estats? Don't they need the amp that comes with them...?

Nov 12, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #326 of 1,482
I've been waiting for this for months.
I have to get something at some point instead of having nothing.

ibasso dc02? similar price to 9038 and has usb-c vs the usb-a on the cobalt, which is a weird decision for something that costs $300.

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #327 of 1,482
I appreciate the input, but kind of misses the point. I'm aware that there are $1000 Daps available that would be a better or easier mobile option. But I'm not just looking for any mobile solution, but a specific one related to the 9038S, which I already own.

I also have an ifi XCAN so I'm set for when it comes to lots of mobile power for wired headphones - a criminally underrated device imo - it even pairs well with the 9038S because it has 2.5 balanced input.

One question: by KSE1200 you mean the Shure estats? Don't they need the amp that comes with them...?

All I'm saying is I have a 9038s as well and I'd prefer to do this (saw one recently FS here for $650) than buy an old Android device and add more components to the mix for a portable setup, unless we're talking about using this in a pinch. It's going to sound at least as good and likely have a better UI as it's a recently released device running Oreo. I wouldn't bother if it could be powered by the iPhone because then it's just one less device to carry.

Yes, the 1200 runs an amp and I use that while out and about but only when I'm going to be stationary for 2+ hours. It's worth it because it is that awesome, but I no longer use a mojo in the stack.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #328 of 1,482
is the E1DA 9038s sounds better than new midfi DAP like DX160, R5, M11? anyone have both? Thanks

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #329 of 1,482
Well i guess a lot bought it on 11.11 and it will take some time for the shipping and with 9038d this will get very lifely.
And i agree!.. the only thing i could imagine in the future is a newer version of those DACs. Anything else is completly uninteresting for me because it cant beat the soundquality and has no EQ app.

I also managed to make a refined Sundara preset now that uses the Auto EQ page correction curve.
With the feature that i can load this image with the frequency curve as Background in the EQ app it is so easy to make a matching adjustment with the 7 Biquads..

It sounds amazing now! When i turn it off to stock sound it sounds so dull in comparision.
I need to tweek my shoure tapes next.. they should have high potential to sound interstellar with a nice preset.
any idea when will 9038D ( single ended right? ) arrives?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back