E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Nov 13, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #346 of 1,482
"The problem for me with 9038S is that you just can´t wear it easily in your pocket connected to the phone."

Someone made this allready in the E1DA Discord and thats a super short connection and the velcro tape backpack of the 9038s inspired by my Hiby R3

Thats a insanly big amount of Usb C cables! cool link
20191111_164702.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #347 of 1,482
I´ve done a quick comparison tonight.
When paired with Audiosense T800 I definitely prefer the 9038s (g2), because it has noticeably tighter and deeper bass.
R5 plays much smoother and its bass is just slower. It lacks the rumble and proper kick. I´m a sucker for well extended textured bass (planar lover) and even though I wouldn´t say bass is the most important spectrum, I notice "problems" with bass first.
The thing that R5 does best for me is its ability to pushes the stage in front of you, almost crossfeed-like (I never used crosfeed). That is really nice experience, mainly when listening to vocals, however stage is obviously less wide because of this forward shift.
9038S is more dynamic with more microdetail with overall more open presentation. I can imagine if one paired R5 with something like ER4S, it would probably be better match, but can´t say as I don´t have any dry sounding iems right now.

The problem for me with 9038S is that you just can´t wear it easily in your pocket connected to the phone.
Gosh I wish there was a cable like Shanling L2, but with USB-C on both sides. The life would be much easier. Please, if anyone knows where to get one, let me know. (maybe custom?)

Thank you so muchh for your time and effort. Really appreciate this. I also always concern in bass department, I like well textured, fast decay with fullness bass, have a perfect body of kicks, and gone and right timing, not too dry but not too wet and over rumbles. Im more picky about low end than highs. So you say the r5 is win on soundstage depth while e1da is overall tighter and more neutral towards analytical so perceive a tighter definition. I guess i prefer the e1da more as I dont have many cold sounding IEM and how about layering, like the space and air betweet instruments? I prefer dap/dac character that can extend that.

Thank you so much

Nov 14, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #350 of 1,482
"The problem for me with 9038S is that you just can´t wear it easily in your pocket connected to the phone."

Someone made this allready in the E1DA Discord and thats a super short connection and the velcro tape backpack of the 9038s inspired by my Hiby R3

Thats a insanly big amount of Usb C cables! cool link
20191111_164702.jpg

This one is great, I guess you don't have a link for it, right :D

Nov 14, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #351 of 1,482
I have direct comparsion to DX150 with AMP6 and E1DA 9038S outperform Ibasso imo. E1da has better deffinition of instruments and is smoother, but sadly lacks some warmth that I like in sound.

Sometimes I hear internal life of my phone. Also can be too loud for some iems. Haven't any kind of issues more.

Overall very nice.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #352 of 1,482
I thought some phones won't work with a single C to C cable and they need a C to micro & micro back to C adapter(s) to work correctly?
Also, I remember reading that some phones have issues with power and you need a powerbank/battery.
Some of the details are confusing and scanning through discord trying to piece the info together is challenging.
But I like the cable you linked.

Nov 14, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #353 of 1,482
I thought some phones won't work with a single C to C cable and they need a C to micro & micro back to C adapter(s) to work correctly?
Also, I remember reading that some phones have issues with power and you need a powerbank/battery.
Some of the details are confusing and scanning through discord trying to piece the info together is challenging.
But I like the cable you linked.
For 9038S Gen2, most of the phone work since the it has soft start. You can ask in the discord regarding what phone you're using, I'm sure someone will reply.

Yeah it's the only short right cable type-c to type-c I've seen. Kudos to who have share it in discord. I can't remember who. He/she even share a pic where he/she use with a phone.

Nov 14, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #356 of 1,482
Nov 14, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #357 of 1,482
Nov 14, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #358 of 1,482
You mean Powerdac v2?
I guess you can watch how the powerbar gets lower per minute or faster :wink:

Still 9038s has so much output power and really best mobile combo for me.. yeah until 9038d for many more.

Nov 14, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #359 of 1,482
I'm tired of draining my phones battery so ordered one of these, hopefully the 9038S will work with it:

Screenshot_20191113-213843_AliExpress.jpg

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #360 of 1,482
You mean Powerdac v2?
I guess you can watch how the powerbar gets lower per minute or faster :wink:

Still 9038s has so much output power and really best mobile combo for me.. yeah until 9038d for many more.

No, I'm not interested in the Powerdac. 9038d all the way for a solution as portable as possible.
Since the D variant is not available yet, I'm wondering how fast the 9038s drains R3's battery.
I'm asking as I used to have the R3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back