E11, cMoyBB and Sennheiser HD 598
Jun 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

iceporky

New Head-Fier
I have a HD 598 headphone and, like most people, I googled to see if getting an amp could make my HD 598 better. So, I read all the online discussions I can find. Quite a few say there is no difference on their HD 598 with E11. A selected few say HD 598 goes well with E11, but almost everyone sings praises to the cMoyBB v2.03R.

So, I decided to get both for my iPhone 4s and try. Fiio L3 LOD cables were used for both amps so that the iPhone 4s built-in amp was bypassed.

Fiio E11. I didn't expect much from it, but I'm surprised that it does make the HD 598 sound nicer. I find the music coming out of E11 slightly cold and dark, but in a good way. The difference may be subtle, but it makes me "feel" the music better than before. Most importantly, the E11 accentuates the HD 598 while preserving its core character.

JDS Labs cMoyBB v2.03R. With it, the soundstage is significantly bigger and that I like a lot. The music is brighter compared to E11, but somehow it is not as crisp, clean and tight. To me, it has somewhat changed the character of HD 598. People who complaint about the HD 598's bass being too neutral might like cMoyBB as they now have a bassy HD 598. But, seriously, if you want bass so badly, then why HD 598? 

For reference, I listen to piano pieces and vocals. All my songs are in 256kbps AAC, downloaded directly from iTunes Store.  As you can tell, I'm not an audiophile and my opinion is clearly subjective.  I write this because I really wished someone had written something like this before I set out to buy the two amps for my HD 598.

In short, I adore my HD 598. The highs and mids are crisp and clear; the bass is tight and clean. And Fiio E11 simply makes my HD 598 better; in its own subtle ways.

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 2
Thanks a lot for that review.

Am myself a huge HD598 fan and it's good to know the E11 is a nice portable option.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back