E10 or used Essence ST for gaming/music desktop w. 990 pros?
Dec 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Beatwolf

Head-Fier
For my recently acquired 990 pro´s I ordered a  Fiio E10. Currently I´m just using my on-board soundcard (Realtek 898). However, I just got an offer for a used Asus Sonar Essence ST for about  90$ which is actually  10$ less than I payed for the Fiio with shipping, and half of full price where I live.

Which would provide me with the better sound quality? Should I cancel my E10 order, as from what I gather the Essence ST is better? Will be used about 70/30 for gaming/music. Also I´m not going to be using the Fiio anywhere else than for my desktop pc.

I might be looking to upgrade further at a later stage, maybe to Sennheiser 600/650´s.

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 6
  For my recently acquired 990 Pro´s I ordered a Fiio E10. Currently I´m just using my on-board sound card (Realtek 898). However, I just got an offer for a used Asus Sonar Essence ST for about  90$ which is actually  10$ less than I payed for the Fiio with shipping, and half of full price where I live.
Which would provide me with the better sound quality? Should I cancel my E10 order, as from what I gather the Essence ST is better? Will be used about 70/30 for gaming/music. Also I´m not going to be using the Fiio anywhere else than for my desktop PC.
I might be looking to upgrade further at a later stage, maybe to Sennheiser 600/650´s.

The Essence ST has a better DAC and more powerful headphone amplifier.
The E10 does not offer any surround sound features.
So get the Essence ST (cancel the E10).

Dec 6, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 6
  OK thanks. I guess having the Essence ST would also be a better starting point if adding external stuff later. A better source to go through I mean.

The Essence ST can pass Dolby Headphone surround sound thru the S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) outputs.
Currently I'm replacing my Essence STX with a Audio-GD NFB-15.32 DAC/Amp, $300.

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 6
  No too worried about surround and all that. Also I´m thinking about the 02 or Schiit in the longer run maybe.

About the only real advantage the O2 or Magni have over the Essence ST, is the O2/Magni have a very low output impedance, less then 1-Ohm, which it preferred for headphone when they are around 50-Ohms or less, compared the the ST's head amp.
I bought the 15.32 because it has dual DAC chips, where the STX & ST only have one.
The 15.32's headphone output impedance is only 2-Ohms and a more powerful headphone amplifier then the STX & ST, and I think even more powerful then the O2 or Magni.
As the 15.32 if fully external, there is no chance of it be effected by any possible electrical noise inside the computer, plus I can easily use the 15.32 with more then just my home PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back