E-Stat Summit: Hifiman Shangri-La vs. Stax SR-X9000 (vs. HFM Shangri-La Junior)
Mar 31, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #16 of 221
You can’t go wrong with any of these.

I agree about the susvara. It’s that good. It has a leg up on almost all planars that I’ve heard. When I A B them with the 1266 it feels like the 1266 is deliberately recessed in the mids in order to punch as hard as it does. It also has a high end sound that susvara doesn’t. Trade off to get the sound it has. 🤷‍♂️

At the end of the day you gotta evaluate what’s important to you. The X9K has the ability to open up those mids and higher end sounds and that continues to be a preference of mine at the moment. Susvara, 1266, X9K, 007. All have value in my lineup.

Lots of variables from person to person chain to chain and eardrum to eardrum.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #17 of 221
@eee1111
What amp are you using with the Susvara?

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #18 of 221
@eee1111
What amp are you using with the Susvara?
AHB2

Had gsx mk2

Might get a WA33. I’ve heard the wa33 before and thought it was great.

Definitely going to get a CFA3 and sell the AHB2 (maybe)

I use bhse for estats

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #19 of 221
How did the GSX MK2 perform with the Susvara?

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #20 of 221
How did the GSX MK2 perform with the Susvara?
Good but not as good as AHB2.

Almost any speaker amp will be better I’ve found

It needs more power. Or better power. I dunno. At high gain I was only going half way and although loud it was lacking

I still think the gsx is a great amp. Probably a way better option for lcd5 or others that don’t demand power to the max which is 90% of headphones

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #21 of 221
Thanks. I am heavily invested in various Stax and have a Donald North inbound for my Utopias. Trying to decide if I want to try the Susvaras - however that will entail getting an appropriate amp.

Mar 31, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #22 of 221
Thanks. I am heavily invested in various Stax and have a Donald North inbound for my Utopias. Trying to decide if I want to try the Susvaras - however that will entail getting an appropriate amp.
Utopia is great.
I’m not saying you can’t enjoy the susvara on the gsx mk2

I think you would enjoy that combo. I’m just saying you’ll need to eventually scale even higher to get more out of the susvara

Mar 31, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #23 of 221
Care to proffer a Utopia vs. Susvara comparison? (obviously properly amping the Sus)

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #24 of 221
Care to proffer a Utopia vs. Susvara comparison? (obviously properly amping the Sus)
I used to own the Utopia, and sold it. I love the Utopia, but never reached for it with the Susvara available. That's my comparison in a nutshell. :relaxed: The Susvara has slightly higher detail retrieval, and most importantly to me, a more expansive soundstage. The bass may be a tad punchier on the Utopia (it's very close to my ears), but it's fuller and more pleasing on the Susvara.

I've heard the Susvara a couple of times at shows driven by the GSX Mini. I really love that amp, and think it will give you a very good taste of the Susvara sound. Enough to know whether it's for you. The Susvara overtook the Utopia pretty much immediately for me, well before I tried driving it with a speaker amp, FWIW.

In any case, this thread is nominally about summit estats, so perhaps this line of discussion should move to the Susvara thread.

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #25 of 221
Thankyou very much for the detailed Utopia/Susvara comparison (!) and you are right - back to summit estats.

I had a mini shootout here two weeks ago with 2 friends - one a LONG time Stax owner and the other looking to get into Stax. Headphones were the X9000, 009S, and 007 mk1. Amplifier was a Birgir Carbon fronted by 2 channel Linn Klimax DS.

Let’s say it was easily….X9000 for the win😆

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #26 of 221
Yo, @number1sixerfan , can I get your input on a minor "situation" that has come up? So last night, after we exchanged PMs about how great the SGL was sounding on electronica, I developed my frequent late evening craving for some ice cream, in this case a scoop of mint chip and a (BIG) scoop of Belgian triple chocolate. Häagen-Dazs, of course! As I headed back to the sofa in the den, it was kind of dark in there and I accidentally tripped over the SGL cable and (I'm such a klutz!) the ice cream dish went sailing and landed upside down on my new leather sofa, followed by my landing (on my butt, fortunately) on top of the dish and breaking it into a few pieces. Good news, bad news: I'm perfectly fine (but really annoyed with myself), but I had left the SGL on the sofa, and of course the ice cream (and I) landed squarely on top of it. (Always seems to happen that way, right?) So I couldn't believe what had just happened, but I learned a long time ago that staying calm and proceeding logically is the best strategy. I took a bunch of deep breaths and went to get some rags to clean up the sofa leather. Then I took a nice hot bath (this whole thing was just a little stressful, even with the deep breathing) to get cleaned up myself. Finally, it was time to deal with the SGL, which I had set aside during the sofa cleanup and bath. The first thing I noticed was that the Belgian chocolate had completely melted into the right side grill assembly, but I was super relieved when I saw that no ice cream had gotten into the left driver assembly. (I've always been a glass half-full kinda guy!) Now, I've had to deal with some "impossible" cleanup situations before, but this one had me a little stumped, frankly. After a few minutes of deep thought, the light bulb went on! Off I went to the laundry room to soak the driver assembly in the basin. You'll be happy to know that I added a dollop of laundry detergent to the soak to help loosen up all of the chocolate. Of course I took great care to keep the left driver dry, because these aren't MY headphones after all, and I wanted to handle them with the utmost care. Anyhoo, after about twenty minutes, with me swishing the SGL around in the water, it appeared that all of the Belgian chocolate had been purged from the driver assembly. I can't tell you how relieved I felt when I saw that!

So now I wanted to get back to listening ASAP since I'll be returning the headphones tomorrow. Clearly, it would have been insane to plug in a soaking wet estat given the high voltage involved. What to do? Then it dawned on me: hit the driver with a hair dryer! (Brilliant, if I do say so myself! :relaxed:) Five minutes later, no traces of moisture that I could detect. The diaphragm had gotten a bit darker in color, but I'm not sure if that was from the intense heat or just some residual chocolate stain. In any case, I doubt it has any sonic impact. Now it was time to get back to listening! Only one other minor issue: landing with my entire body weight had seriously bent the metal headband. "A mere flesh wound" in the grand scheme of things, I thought. It was actually pretty straightforward to bend it back into (reasonable) shape. Of course, it's never going to be perfect, but the cups still line up pretty well, certainly within half an inch in any dimension. As far as I can tell, these drivers aren't too sensitive to exact ear placement, anyway. (Dodged a bullet there, eh?) Oh yeah, one other minor cosmetic issue: the broken ceramic dish scratched up the anodized aluminum a little bit. You can probably just buff it out with steel wool! If that takes the black finish off, I'd suggest just buffing ALL of that finish off. You'll have the only natural brushed aluminum SGL on the planet! Think of the value added for such a custom piece! You're welcome, my man!!

OK, so you, SixerFan, wouldn't be human if all of this didn't make you a bit anxious, shall we say, and I totally understand that. Relax, dude!! The SGL still sounds great. It's not scientific obviously, but I actually think it sounds a little better this morning than I remember! The only (again, minor) issue is that the right channel seems to distort (and occasionally cut out) with super low bass. I put a -6 dB low shelf below 50 Hz and it (mostly) fixes it. Honestly, I'd recommend a planar for music with really heavy bass anyway. But I totally understand if you don't want to live with this. So I'm going to generously offer to disassemble the entire right driver and see if I can troubleshoot the issue. It's probably something as trivial as the force of my landing on it caused a connection to become dodgy. But anyway, I just wanted to ask you before I went ahead with the disassembly. These are your headphones, after all, and I want your input on how I handle them. But if you'd prefer to just send them back to Hifiman for service, I'm sure this is all covered under the warranty. The only downside is you may be without an SGL for like six months, but dayum, this X9000 is no slouch! So, please let me know ASAP how to proceed, OK?

Dude, just wanted to thank you AGAIN for the generous loan. I feel really bad about all of this, but I can promise you I'm going to be WAY more careful in the future when you loan me expensive stuff. I can't tell you how many times I've tripped on headphone cables, but I think this time I've finally learned not to leave them dangling between the coffee table and the sofa. You've helped me grow, and it's a beautiful thing. I feel like the least I could do is buy you a beer or something. And I'm talking micro brew on tap, DUDE!!

Cheers, B. Science

:beerchug:

Apr 1, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #27 of 221
Yo, @number1sixerfan , can I get your input on a minor "situation" that has come up? So last night, after we exchanged PMs about how great the SGL was sounding on electronica, I developed my frequent late evening craving for some ice cream, in this case a scoop of mint chip and a (BIG) scoop of Belgian triple chocolate. Häagen-Dazs, of course! As I headed back to the sofa in the den, it was kind of dark in there and I accidentally tripped over the SGL cable and (I'm such a klutz!) the ice cream dish went sailing and landed upside down on my new leather sofa, followed by my landing (on my butt, fortunately) on top of the dish and breaking it into a few pieces. Good news, bad news: I'm perfectly fine (but really annoyed with myself), but I had left the SGL on the sofa, and of course the ice cream (and I) landed squarely on top of it. (Always seems to happen that way, right?) So I couldn't believe what had just happened, but I learned a long time ago that staying calm and proceeding logically is the best strategy. I took a bunch of deep breaths and went to get some rags to clean up the sofa leather. Then I took a nice hot bath (this whole thing was just a little stressful, even with the deep breathing) to get cleaned up myself. Finally, it was time to deal with the SGL, which I had set aside during the sofa cleanup and bath. The first thing I noticed was that the Belgian chocolate had completely melted into the right side grill assembly, but I was super relieved when I saw that no ice cream had gotten into the left driver assembly. (I've always been a glass half-full kinda guy!) Now, I've had to deal with some "impossible" cleanup situations before, but this one had me a little stumped, frankly. After a few minutes of deep thought, the light bulb went on! Off I went to the laundry room to soak the driver assembly in the basin. You'll be happy to know that I added a dollop of laundry detergent to the soak to help loosen up all of the chocolate. Of course I took great care to keep the left driver dry, because these aren't MY headphones after all, and I wanted to handle them with the utmost care. Anyhoo, after about twenty minutes, with me swishing the SGL around in the water, it appeared that all of the Belgian chocolate had been purged from the driver assembly. I can't tell you how relieved I felt when I saw that!

So now I wanted to get back to listening ASAP since I'll be returning the headphones tomorrow. Clearly, it would have been insane to plug in a soaking wet estat given the high voltage involved. What to do? Then it dawned on me: hit the driver with a hair dryer! (Brilliant, if I do say so myself! :relaxed:) Five minutes later, no traces of moisture that I could detect. The diaphragm had gotten a bit darker in color, but I'm not sure if that was from the intense heat or just some residual chocolate stain. In any case, I doubt it has any sonic impact. Now it was time to get back to listening! Only one other minor issue: landing with my entire body weight had seriously bent the metal headband. "A mere flesh wound" in the grand scheme of things, I thought. It was actually pretty straightforward to bend it back into (reasonable) shape. Of course, it's never going to be perfect, but the cups still line up pretty well, certainly within half an inch in any dimension. As far as I can tell, these drivers aren't too sensitive to exact ear placement, anyway. (Dodged a bullet there, eh?) Oh yeah, one other minor cosmetic issue: the broken ceramic dish scratched up the anodized aluminum a little bit. You can probably just buff it out with steel wool! If that takes the black finish off, I'd suggest just buffing ALL of that finish off. You'll have the only natural brushed aluminum SGL on the planet! Think of the value added for such a custom piece! You're welcome, my man!!

OK, so you, SixerFan, wouldn't be human if all of this didn't make you a bit anxious, shall we say, and I totally understand that. Relax, dude!! The SGL still sounds great. It's not scientific obviously, but I actually think it sounds a little better this morning than I remember! The only (again, minor) issue is that the right channel seems to distort (and occasionally cut out) with super low bass. I put a -6 dB low shelf below 50 Hz and it (mostly) fixes it. Honestly, I'd recommend a planar for music with really heavy bass anyway. But I totally understand if you don't want to live with this. So I'm going to generously offer to disassemble the entire right driver and see if I can troubleshoot the issue. It's probably something as trivial as the force of my landing on it caused a connection to become dodgy. But anyway, I just wanted to ask you before I went ahead with the disassembly. These are your headphones, after all, and I want your input on how I handle them. But if you'd prefer to just send them back to Hifiman for service, I'm sure this is all covered under the warranty. The only downside is you may be without an SGL for like six months, but dayum, this X9000 is no slouch! So, please let me know ASAP how to proceed, OK?

Dude, just wanted to thank you AGAIN for the generous loan. I feel really bad about all of this, but I can promise you I'm going to be WAY more careful in the future when you loan me expensive stuff. I can't tell you how many times I've tripped on headphone cables, but I think this time I've finally learned not to leave them dangling between the coffee table and the sofa. You've helped me grow, and it's a beautiful thing. I feel like the least I could do is buy you a beer or something. And I'm talking micro brew on tap, DUDE!!

Cheers, B. Science

:beerchug:
Inb4 minor panic before it sets in 😂

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #28 of 221
Not that I'm a gullible person, but when you pay that kind of money it definitely impacts your thinking skills. I was confused and then panicked before coming to my senses lol (please confirm the April fools joke lol)

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #29 of 221
Not that I'm a gullible person, but when you pay that kind of money it definitely impacts your thinking skills. I was confused and then panicked before coming to my senses lol (please confirm the April fools joke lol)
CONFIRMED!!!

(Sorry, didn't think you'd actually believe any of it. Guess I'm not as good at comedy writing as I thought... :relaxed:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back