E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Mar 20, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #1,561 of 1,967
White Bird Amplification Tzar?
I don't see a Tzar model on their site, but those look like interesting amps at a reasonable price, thanks. I will look for reviews. Have you used them with the EMUs?

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #1,562 of 1,967
Not with E-MUs (still looking for one at the right price), but with numerous low-z cans, from Grados to 5 Ohm Beyers...

B12A15F9-6439-4FC3-8F7A-070A443FF5C5.jpeg
066D5375-D155-488F-A571-3C9613A40B2F.jpeg

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #1,563 of 1,967
I am using sheepskin versions of the stock pads from China. They seem to be exactly the same shape wise and even have the tuning ring inside. Before that, I was using the Ori which both sounds and feels fantastic, but it's a bit bigger than the cups and can shift as a result.
Do you have a link to those? Interested in them since they come with the attenuation ring.

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #1,565 of 1,967
Pretty sure it was this one
I have the same and I am pretty happy with them. For 2+ years I tried 5 different options. Those pads are quite close to the original pads, but softer and more comfortable. At the same time the sound remains very close to original - balanced and without damaging parts of the frequency range as with all others I tried. Since I have them for several months now, I feel no desire look for anything else.

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #1,566 of 1,967
Just an update since I wasn't having the best experience with the Teaks a couple weeks ago:

It seems like a "sealing issue" was the crux of the problem. Ordered the ZMF Ori pads and finally got them in a couple days ago and now after listening for a while I can say they're much much better. Overall there's more of a surrounded by the instruments feeling and vocals (esp. female vocals) are improved. I did lose a little more of that deep rumble on the low end, but it seems like there's more "punch" to the bass if that makes sense so I think it's worth it overall.

They're definitely more fun now in addition to sounding better. I don't know if I even need to try different cups at the moment. Ordered a new cable (the stock one with 1/4 adapter keeps cutting out) but other than that it seems like it's a winner in my book.

Thanks to those that recommended the ZMF pads, you saved me a bunch of money and hassle :)

This is great, I'm going to order a pair now. Is the comfort improved as well?

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #1,567 of 1,967
This is great, I'm going to order a pair now. Is the comfort improved as well?
Yes, I'd say so. I have big ears and a pretty big head too so the stock pads just weren't a great fit for me. They were super soft though, but ergonomically they just weren't right for me. Smaller heads/ears would probably like them.

Mar 22, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #1,568 of 1,967
Mar 22, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #1,570 of 1,967
Looks like they are

They do look very similar. I use those pads as well.

I am getting internal wire disconnect repaired. Driver transplant is cancelled and new driver will use 3D print cup... (reveal later)

Found this old photo of mine modding Denon D2000 circa 2007.

Attachments

• E89D96CF-5904-42E6-AA34-A152F4C38444.png
    E89D96CF-5904-42E6-AA34-A152F4C38444.png
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #1,571 of 1,967
So My teaks came in from Singapore last week and I’ve been enjoying them. They’re just a bit off from ideal for me.

My daily drivers are LCDs so perhaps I’ve gotten use to gigantic cushion ear pads but the stock ones just feel...anemic and small. I’m also an old man with big ears. Perhaps some of the suggested pads here will help.

The included cable is indeed pretty terrible. It’s one of the noisiest cables I’ve ever owned. Not from audiophile magic cable noise but from the sound of it moving against itself and my clothing.

Aside from these criticisms which I believe can be easily and relatively cheaply solved, the sound is incredible even without EQ.

If I prefer larger, deeper ear pads, what’re my best options? Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #1,572 of 1,967
So My teaks came in from Singapore last week and I’ve been enjoying them. They’re just a bit off from ideal for me.

My daily drivers are LCDs so perhaps I’ve gotten use to gigantic cushion ear pads but the stock ones just feel...anemic and small. I’m also an old man with big ears. Perhaps some of the suggested pads here will help.

The included cable is indeed pretty terrible. It’s one of the noisiest cables I’ve ever owned. Not from audiophile magic cable noise but from the sound of it moving against itself and my clothing.

Aside from these criticisms which I believe can be easily and relatively cheaply solved, the sound is incredible even without EQ.

If I prefer larger, deeper ear pads, what’re my best options? Thanks!

Get the Dekoni pads for TH-900 or Lawton angled pads if you want deeper pads with bigger ear holes.

Mar 22, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #1,573 of 1,967
For those who did the Lawton mod(s), for whom would you recommend doing them, in terms of adjusting the sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back