E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Jan 14, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #571 of 1,969
Anyone know where I can find a good replacement cable that is less than 3-4 ft. and reasonably priced (less than $50)? Looking through the discussion on Massdrop makes it seem like there aren't actually a ton of options that work reliably - something about them not utilizing the "Sleeve" part of TRS.

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #572 of 1,969
  Anyone know where I can find a good replacement cable that is less than 3-4 ft. and reasonably priced (less than $50)? Looking through the discussion on Massdrop makes it seem like there aren't actually a ton of options that work reliably - something about them not utilizing the "Sleeve" part of TRS.

Redco.com can probably build something for you in that range, they quoted a 14' balanced cable for $50 for me. 

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #573 of 1,969
  Redco.com can probably build something for you in that range, they quoted a 14' balanced cable for $50 for me. 

Thanks, I had seen other people suggesting that site. I just tried to put together a cable:
http://www.redco.com/Custom-Cable.html?cableid=sbrdmY

Good price, I feel pretty unsure about it all though. The different options are confusing, and I don't really have any idea what it's going to look or feel like...

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #574 of 1,969

Thanks, I had seen other people suggesting that site. I just tried to put together a cable:
http://www.redco.com/Custom-Cable.html?cableid=sbrdmY

Good price, I feel pretty unsure about it all though. The different options are confusing, and I don't really have any idea what it's going to look or feel like...

You can just contact them directly and tell them what you're looking for. I think they've handled a few orders for EMU Teak cables by this point. Also, Chan had posted these in the Massdrop discussion board at some point. I'd sent them to Redco for my cable quote, though I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Here's some information about how they are wired:

2.5mm TRS ( left ) Tip  ---  L signal Ring  ---  L return Sleeve --  NC

2.5mm TRS ( right ) Tip  ---  R signal Ring  ---  R return Sleeve --  NC

3.5mm TRS Tip  ---  L signal Ring  ---  R signalSleeve --  Return ( L and R return shorted together )

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #575 of 1,969
  You can just contact them directly and tell them what you're looking for. I think they've handled a few orders for EMU Teak cables by this point. Also, Chan had posted these in the Massdrop discussion board at some point. I'd sent them to Redco for my cable quote, though I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Here's some information about how they are wired:

2.5mm TRS ( left ) Tip  ---  L signal Ring  ---  L return Sleeve --  NC

2.5mm TRS ( right ) Tip  ---  R signal Ring  ---  R return Sleeve --  NC

3.5mm TRS Tip  ---  L signal Ring  ---  R signalSleeve --  Return ( L and R return shorted together )

Ah, I see. I'll give that a shot.

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #576 of 1,969
I'm so stoked, I just got in on the drop! I'm hoping that these will be one of my endgame cans.

How do the Teaks sound out of a Fiio X3ii? I'm wondering about amping these. I'm guessing they won't work well with my Crack, which bums me out. I'm sure I have a SS amp that will work, but I really want to enjoy these with a tube amp. How are they with the Vali 2 or any other tube under $200?

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #577 of 1,969
  I'm so stoked, I just got in on the drop! I'm hoping that these will be one of my endgame cans.

How do the Teaks sound out of a Fiio X3ii? I'm wondering about amping these. I'm guessing they won't work well with my Crack, which bums me out. I'm sure I have a SS amp that will work, but I really want to enjoy these with a tube amp. How are they with the Vali 2 or any other tube under $200?

they're good with the Vali2.  It's not a perfect match, but is pretty good.

Jan 16, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #578 of 1,969

they're good with the Vali2.  It's not a perfect match, but is pretty good.

Cool. What are you driving them with? What are some good matches so far?

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #580 of 1,969
Jan 18, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #581 of 1,969
I put in an order for the teaks with both teak and ebony cups about 3 weeks ago, but they're still not expected to ship until the 25th-ish because Emu is pretty busy with massdrop orders.
I've since done lots of research on the Meze 99s, but haven't found any comparisons against the Teaks, and only a couple even mentioning the Th-X00.

I hear the 99 has better soundstage and less bass than the X00, but I hear the same about the Teaks...
As for the 99 being closed vs the Emu semi-closed, it's a toss up for me.

The cable options, case, and price of the 99s are quite compelling.
Anyone have any comparisons they can share?

Part of me wants to cancel and get the 99s, but I'm pretty hyped for the Teak.
Is the EMU worth the extra $210 (incl. shipping, or rather $330 with the second set of cups too) over the 99s?

As for my music and sound signature preferences, obviously I'm looking for a fun sounding headphone.
I mostly listen to 80's, folk, indie, pop, and a bit of electronic in that order.
My current favorite heaphones are JH rosies and W30 japanese editions. Tried the 400i and ue900s and found bass in both lacking.  
Usually use my dx90, but might be switching over to a V20 or x5iii in a month or two. 

Thanks in advance, guys!

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #582 of 1,969
I spent quite a bit of time demoing the 99's.   They sound fantastic - enough so that they are still on my wish list even after having purchased the Teak and ZMF Atticus & Eikon.   They'd make a great travel set when ANC wasn't needed.   Cups and earpads are just barely big enough for me.  1mm smaller in any direction on those ear pads, and they'd be too small.  Otherwise they check all the marks for comfort.  

I still prefer my Teak, but the 99's are very good.

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #584 of 1,969

The Rupert Neve Headphone Amp is a fantastic match with eMu teaks.  Anyone else here tried it?

Interesting, my buddy has one. I'll have to check it out. I'm thinking my Gilmore Lite will work pretty well with them because I feel like they are similar.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #585 of 1,969
  I spent quite a bit of time demoing the 99's.   They sound fantastic - enough so that they are still on my wish list even after having purchased the Teak and ZMF Atticus & Eikon.   They'd make a great travel set when ANC wasn't needed.   Cups and earpads are just barely big enough for me.  1mm smaller in any direction on those ear pads, and they'd be too small.  Otherwise they check all the marks for comfort.  

I still prefer my Teak, but the 99's are very good.

Thanks, ProfFalkin! Maybe I'll end up with a set of both myself someday.

Ah, I see. I'll give that a shot.

Please let me know how that cable works out for you, I'd love a picture of it too whenever it arrives. 
I'm going to grab one of these (http://a.co/gwoaz60) off amazon for $10. I don't have the highest of hopes, but at 10 bucks with prime, it's not a big gamble and the mic/buttons could be handy occasionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back