E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Jan 11, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #541 of 1,968

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post, but I meant fun sounding and exciting compared to the other woods. Yes they are still fun sounding compared to the HD600/650 to me and I'd take the teaks over them any day.

It is possible.   I took "It's however not exciting and fun sounding." literally.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #542 of 1,968
It's funny how "audiophile sound" is more or less flat response and "fun sound" is a V-shaped response but that's what I gather from most people's use of the terminology.

To me the audiophile way of life is "fun sounding" and "exciting" and I could never own in the longer term the more "audiophile" sounding phones like the HD800 or SR009 etc. Yes the usage of the words is debateable, but their generally acceptable meanings in context of defining sound are mostly not (yes some people disagree etc as evident here). Yes if you think the HD800 are fun and exciting to you, good enough, but that comment would be understood that you mean they are V shaped and have good bass etc.

It is possible.   I took "It's however not exciting and fun sounding." literally.

Then they'd be phones I wouldn't even want to own. I do enjoy the Teaks yes and find them very pleasing, disregarding the need for more bass sometimes. 

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #544 of 1,968
  I have a beautiful stock D7000 which I love.

Does anyone think a teak E-MU would be a worthwhile upgrade?  Or would it even be an upgrade?

Sell me the D7000 instead. I promise to take good care of it 
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #545 of 1,968
Jan 11, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #546 of 1,968

Sell me the D7000 instead. I promise to take good care of it 
biggrin.gif

I prefered the teak and my THX00 with emu ebony cups to a D7000 I heard at a recent get together a few months back.  Though it wasn't a large difference.  

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #547 of 1,968
To me, a truly great technically performing headphone, that is very flat, can be extremely fun.  

To me, audiophile has more to do with transparency, clarity, soundstage, impulse response, etc than it does any particular frequency response.  But yeah, I guess head-fi has this annoying habit of making everything about frequency response all the time.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #548 of 1,968
To me, a truly great technically performing headphone, that is very flat, can be extremely fun.  

To me, audiophile has more to do with transparency, clarity, soundstage, impulse response, etc than it does any particular frequency response.  But yeah, I guess head-fi has this annoying habit of making everything about frequency response all the time.

Agreed with your use of the term "audiophile", but from the far majority of how I've seen the word used, I believe you are in the minority. Just my opinion, no need for debate because it's pointless. Just an observation. I see frequency response as a preference but believe dividends are paid for the other performance qualities you identified. I'm fairly new to this. It's a fun hobby built on impressions and everyone's impression is valid and even more so if they can convey it accurately to the community.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #549 of 1,968
Agreed with your use of the term "audiophile", but from the far majority of how I've seen the word used, I believe you are in the minority. Just my opinion, no need for debate because it's pointless. Just an observation. I see frequency response as a preference but believe dividends are paid for the other performance qualities you identified. I'm fairly new to this. It's a fun hobby built on impressions and everyone's impression is valid and even more so if they can convey it accurately to the community.

oh yeah, I totally agree that around here slightly tilted towards bright with sub bass roll off is considered "audiophile"

This seems somewhat contained to head-fi from what I've seen though.  Speaker world isn't this way, and even other headphone message boards isn't this way.  I guess it just goes back to the time period when the AKG K701 and HD600 were the unquestioned kings of the hill, and people just came to associate that sound signature with "audiophile"

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #551 of 1,968

That's good to hear from other members because I can't deal with the frequency response of the HE-400i but I really care about the other attributes to headphone audio quality. Ultimately, any kind of fatigue issues are so dang personal.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #552 of 1,968
Just saw Massdrop email about this headphones today.  Really exciting that the Denon D-series resurrected.  I have the TH-900 and D7000 but refer D7000 most of the time.  The MassDrop price is now $449USD (price is unlocked), so very tempting, the ebony looks crazily good.  I used to have the D2K, bass is kinda bloated though.  I refer to get the D7K if they're planning to resurrect that in the future.  Anyone knows if this will happen?     

TH-900 Vs D7000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back