E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Jan 10, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #1,442 of 1,967
To follow up regarding my experiment with Aliexpress pads in addition to the ZMF Eikon with the attenuator, This pads https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000520417437.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2e8e4c4dVLUQqZ are identical to the original teak pads, and they even come with a plastic attenuation ring sewen inside them. They suffer from the same small ear opening issue, they are just identical in every aspect to the original ones.

The second one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000090876956.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2e8e4c4dVLUQqZ is surprisingly very good. They are even comfier than the Eikon pads while costing a fraction of the price. They sounded better without the attenuation rings than with them which is a plus. The sound changes were just a tad less bass but better airiness, sound stage and the imaging improved several folds compared to the others. For 18 dollars, in my opinion, those are the best replacement for the Teak pads and since I have installed them the Eikon pads have retired to a dark drawer in my closet. As for everything sound-related, this is my personal opinion and everybody's experience may vary.

Which pads have you settled on? Still using the second link Ali one?

Jan 22, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #1,445 of 1,967
How do the emu teaks sound compared to th-610 and the d5200? If i wasn't too impressed by either, will I like the teaks?

I had D5200 and E-MU teak at same time. D5200 sounds more resolving with very tight bass, but way too much highs. E-MU has less forward highs (still too much), and the bass is a little uncontrolled. I preferred E-MU’s compromises, and I MUCH preferred it’s headband. The D5200 was a tiny bit too small and uncomfortable. I have a big misshapened head tho. The E-MU is pretty bare internally and could improve with mods. D5200 was already lightly damped and tweaked from factory like TH-X00, so mod improvements may have less potential. Both headphones improved with aftermarket pads: however D5200 still too bright, E-MU bass no longer flabby but still a little bright for me but its okay for my typical low volume listening. I sold D5200. I’m working on some internal resonance/reflection mods for E-MU.

Tyll at Innerfidelity did a big Foster comparison and also preferred E-MU teak.:
https://www.stereophile.com/content...ening-tests-denon-ah-d5000-massdrop-fostex-th

The new Denon series (D5200) no longer use biocellulose drivers. Not sure if thats important to sound but its a cool factor in favor of E-MU.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #1,446 of 1,967
How do the emu teaks sound compared to th-610 and the d5200? If i wasn't too impressed by either, will I like the teaks?

Not sure about those, but I am returning the TH900 Mk2 and keeping the Teak. TH900 is way too bright and thin for my taste, lacks body. Needs serious EQing otherwise the highs will shred your ears. Lower mids too recessed as well.

The Teak is nicely balanced. Doesn’t quite have the resolving power of the TH900, but I don’t want them to be hyper analytical anyway.

Jan 22, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #1,447 of 1,967
I had D5200 and E-MU teak at same time. D5200 sounds more resolving with very tight bass, but way too much highs. E-MU has less forward highs (still too much), and the bass is a little uncontrolled. I preferred E-MU’s compromises, and I MUCH preferred it’s headband. The D5200 was a tiny bit too small and uncomfortable. I have a big misshapened head tho. The E-MU is pretty bare internally and could improve with mods. D5200 was already lightly damped and tweaked from factory like TH-X00, so mod improvements may have less potential. Both headphones improved with aftermarket pads: however D5200 still too bright, E-MU bass no longer flabby but still a little bright for me but its okay for my typical low volume listening. I sold D5200. I’m working on some internal resonance/reflection mods for E-MU.

Tyll at Innerfidelity did a big Foster comparison and also preferred E-MU teak.:
https://www.stereophile.com/content...ening-tests-denon-ah-d5000-massdrop-fostex-th

The new Denon series (D5200) no longer use biocellulose drivers. Not sure if thats important to sound but its a cool factor in favor of E-MU.
Yes i own the d5200 honestly it just sounds a bit boring to me and I agree with you, the highs are a bit too much for me. It also did not have enough bass for me, not enough oomph from the sub bass I think.

It seems the emu also suffers from highs? I enjoy my meze 99s but they do not fit my head well.

Not sure about those, but I am returning the TH900 Mk2 and keeping the Teak. TH900 is way too bright and thin for my taste, lacks body. Needs serious EQing otherwise the highs will shred your ears. Lower mids too recessed as well.

The Teak is nicely balanced. Doesn’t quite have the resolving power of the TH900, but I don’t want them to be hyper analytical anyway.

Yup tried the th900 100% agree with you.

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #1,449 of 1,967
I’ve have all three.

5200 sounds thicker,more intimate but a little bit boring
610 is just.. a little weird, it sounds too bright to my liking and the mid is bit dry
emu Tho really impressed me, I was only listening with the bamboo cups and they are just really open and airy with the right amount of bass and treble whilst mid is very smooth and soft.
I also own thx00 mahogany and I probably dislike it the most

Jan 24, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #1,451 of 1,967
Photos not great. Cloudy day + newb dslr skills. I had to stop because I hit a snag. The pre-drilled screw holes are a tiny bit off. I'm going to undo the three already screwed-in and retry but more carefully. If still an issue, then I'll have to contact Lawton for advice.

The teak is cut thin so internal volume differences aren't as huge as they appear from outside. The thinly cut teak resonates more. A small tap on teak produces a much higher pitched ring. The biggest difference would be that the teak has no internal damping... The Lawton cup is mahogany and looks brighter in real life.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #1,452 of 1,967
I like that these still sound good off my iphone. Just doing a quick listen to try and confirm successful install before going out.

Quick impression: more warmth, less glare. Probably more soundstage. Sounds really good off my iphone! I was not so happy with these pre-Lawton - sounded kinda bright and dry (lean?). However, how much improvement is due to cup vs cup damping? Teak has no damping, and is a physically lighter and thinner cup.

600D5EC5-3E03-4C14-B801-63C1C83EE665.jpeg
91495B2A-181B-4997-85DC-680586CB5751.jpeg

0BE34C7E-CE1B-48F4-A6CC-AD6B5AF864C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #1,454 of 1,967
Sorry if I missed it but did you put the Lawton mod dampening on both the cup and driver side? My understanding is that doing it cup side maintains most of the stock treble, and that leaving it off the cup (but on the driver side) amps up the bass.

Thank you for talking about what you’re hearing with the Lawton mods. As I said, I bought mine already modded and I love them. Perfect counterpoint to my Staxes and I just ordered the Lawton Angle Pads to see what that does

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #1,455 of 1,967
Only cup damping, none to driver. When I specified what sound I wanted (less treble spikes), Mark Lawton said that cups do best at mitigating this issue (vs Lawton driver damping or pads). My quick iphone listening tells me the sound is cleaner and less harsh. FR mehsurements later. Just got back home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back