E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Oct 31, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #1,156 of 1,967
Nov 11, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #1,157 of 1,967
They just dropped again today though it’s the nondetachable cord version.

As fate would have it I just bought a used pair with detachable cables in Rosewood. Was there ever a consensus on possible replacement pads? Would TH610 or 900 pads be good, or would their wider opening be detrimental to the sound?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #1,158 of 1,967

As fate would have it I just bought a used pair with detachable cables in Rosewood. Was there ever a consensus on possible replacement pads? Would TH610 or 900 pads be good, or would their wider opening be detrimental to the sound?

There's some info about pad swaps here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/e-mu-wooden-series-headphones.781884/page-56#post-13909486

You might have to follow up with those two Head-Fier's for more specifics.

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #1,159 of 1,967
Thanks, phtora! I've owned a set of the THX00 Mahogany for awhile and I had exchanged the pads for the Dekoni Sheepskin with Attenuator Rings. I kept wondering why they sounded kind of muffled for lack of a better word and put the stock pads back on and got much better sound. The main reasons to try the pad change on the E-MU's would be for more comfort. I'm really getting a nice polished sound with great bass slam and mids and trebles that are not quite but almost the equal of my Focal Clear. Not bad for a phone 1/3 the retail price.

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #1,161 of 1,967

I bought a pair used that came with some other pads. Don't remember which ones they were, they were attached when I first got them. Put them on immediately with the alternative pads and was pretty let down on the sound and the fit. I may be in the minority here but I put the stock pads on and there was definitely an improvement with sound and fit. YMMV I wear mine at work for hours on end with the stock pads with no discomfort and they don't really get hot. If I were to ever find an alternative, I would likely find some that had the same type of shape (inside and out) and fit and just be more comfortable.

Todd

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #1,165 of 1,967
Thanks! Yeah I'm aware you can order on their site, it's just obviously more expensive.

Actually it's the exact same price as Drop, and you'll have them much sooner. Plus, there's detachable cable option not available on the current Drop.

"- E-MU Teak with fixed cable at US$400
- E-MU Teak with detachable cable at US$500

Delivery will be made within 7 working days upon payment received.
Thank you.
Best Regards
E-MU Customer Support Team"

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #1,166 of 1,967
Actually it's the exact same price as Drop, and you'll have them much sooner. Plus, there's detachable cable option not available on the current Drop.

"- E-MU Teak with fixed cable at US$400
- E-MU Teak with detachable cable at US$500

Delivery will be made within 7 working days upon payment received.
Thank you.
Best Regards
E-MU Customer Support Team"

Even if you have no intention of swapping the cable, I think it's always wise to go with the detachable option. I haven't found these particular headphones to sound any different going balanced though.

Nov 19, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #1,167 of 1,967
Your package from E-MU Systems Pte Ltd is on its way.
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

SCHEDULED DELIVERY
Thu 11/21/2019
by 10:30am
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

notif-fedex-progress-bar-details-held-for-pickup.png

spacer.gif

PICKED UP
SINGAPORE

Nov 21, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #1,168 of 1,967
I just got my Teaks, and they are pretty much what I was hoping they would be. The ear cups mash my ears just a little, but they get hot & sweaty. I wonder if this small earhole volume is one of the contributors to their sound. Anything with a larger ear space will increase comfort, but increase the volume & probably change the tuning. I am tempted to try some pad rolling. I have a pair of Geekria protein leather pads I bought for my D2000s which I will try.

Has anyone seen these pads from Accessory House? They look quite similar to the stock Teak pads, with the small earhole and low profile. But sheepskin.

The other pads I am curious about are the ZMF Universal pads: ZMF's "flattest" most universally compatible pad. Just a touch flat, just a touch angled, not too thin and not too thick"

Outer Dimensions: 4.25" Diamater (108mm)

Ear cavity: 2.79 x 2.2 in (71 x 56 mm)

Thick angled side: 1" (25mm) Thin Angled Side: .79" (20mm)

Nov 21, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #1,169 of 1,967
The earhole size is deliberate on the E-MU's and helps give them a cohesive sound. I tried the Dekoni Sheepskin pads and they were more comfortable but I didn't like what they did to the sound, kind of muffled-like so be careful in replacing.

Nov 21, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #1,170 of 1,967
The earhole size is deliberate on the E-MU's and helps give them a cohesive sound. I tried the Dekoni Sheepskin pads and they were more comfortable but I didn't like what they did to the sound, kind of muffled-like so be careful in replacing.

That's why I was thinking the Accessory House pads I linked might be a good candidate as the ear hole looks to be a similar volume to stock, compared with the aftermarket pads that have been suggested (ZMF Eikons & Brainwavz Round).

81KjbgRjeFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back