E-Mu Introduces The 0202 & 0404 USB 2.0 Audio Interface
Jan 6, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, glad for you mate!
Would you have any IEMs to try with it? Or other headphones? Or amps to compare how good the built in amp is.
If by any chance you can try what I asked in my last post (trying the emu without the PC) that would be killer. No matter if you don't have anything to record, but maybe trying to use it as a external dac?

Thanks and hope you enjoy it!

I did run a coax from the 0404 S/PDIF output to a digital input on the CD-Pre, and when I selected that input on the CD-Pre, the LED above that input selector button came on continously, not blinking--which means that the CD-Pre is synched up. However, no sound resulted.....checked the cables, etc, etc, tried again, still no luck......so maybe the E-MU info is correct, that the digital input/output isn't truly live unless one is running a multitrack application, perhaps? Maybe I just have to read more about what it took to get it live, seems as if someone posted somewhere that cycling the digital output between AES/EBU and S/PDIF modes made it work. I also didn;t try the optical output yet, either.

I have a pair of HD201's that sounded surprisingly good with the built-in amp (as expected, though, light in the low end) but we didn't try my son's MS-1's--we will do so tomorrow. I bought my daughter a pair of PX100's last week for her iPod, but also didn't try them yet with the 0404.

No IEM's in the house, unfortunately.....my ears and IEM's don't mix too well.....but I heard no hiss whatsoever with the volume control full up and Foobar paused on either pair of Senns.

I sold my Millett a few days ago, and while it's not yet shipped, it's packed up--so I can't compare the built-in amp to the main out>Millett chain. Only had the PIMETA to do that comparison, and the PIMETA running on two 9v batteries in series was definitely more dynamic overall and quite a bit more solid on the low end.

Based on what I heard so far, I'm looking forward to building some 1/8" TS phone plug-to-RCA cables to connect it to my monoblocks and main speakers.

One thing that I didn't mention, it is a bit larger than I imagined it would be, but it isn't heavy by any stretch of the imagination.

Jan 6, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did run a coax from the 0404 S/PDIF output to a digital input on the CD-Pre, and when I selected that input on the CD-Pre, the LED above that input selector button came on continously, not blinking--which means that the CD-Pre is synched up. However, no sound resulted.

Thanks for your reply. Well, I meant using the Emu 0404 USB as a DAC, which would mean the 0404 receives digital input and try the headphones jack, or the analog out to see if any sound comes without being connected to the computer. I believe what you did was using the emu as a transport, which means trying the CD-pre as the dac.
Thanks

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

I did run a coax from the 0404 S/PDIF output to a digital input on the CD-Pre, and when I selected that input on the CD-Pre, the LED above that input selector button came on continously, not blinking--which means that the CD-Pre is synched up. However, no sound resulted.....checked the cables, etc, etc, tried again, still no luck......so maybe the E-MU info is correct, that the digital input/output isn't truly live unless one is running a multitrack application, perhaps? Maybe I just have to read more about what it took to get it live, seems as if someone posted somewhere that cycling the digital output between AES/EBU and S/PDIF modes made it work. I also didn;t try the optical output yet, either.

I've read somewhere, that the 0404 USB S/PDIF port can be used w/ ASIO capable software only because of "Windows Mixer software" don't list the port as available source (you can check this by running the Play/Recirding Controls (sndvol32 and sndvol32 /r) --> port can't be selected w/ other than ASIO drivers because other drivers lists only those I/Os the mixer 'shows'.

EDIT:

BTW, on top of the 0404 USB device, there is a switch for direct monitoring ... does this have any effect for S/PDIF output when set to S/PDIF while playing audio w/ some non ASIO software (meaning, can you route analog output through S/PDIF 'internally' w/ this switch)?

jiitee

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Thanks for your reply. Well, I meant using the Emu 0404 USB as a DAC, which would mean the 0404 receives digital input and try the headphones jack, or the analog out to see if any sound comes without being connected to the computer. I believe what you did was using the emu as a transport, which means trying the CD-pre as the dac.
Thanks

Oh, I did know what you meant, but I found that it doesn't work that way, either. Why? I guess it comes down to this: how would one direct the unit to route data from the S/PDIF input to the DAC rather than the USB input?

I just connected the coax dig out from a multiformat player with a CD in the drive to the dig in of the 0404, and nothing played through the headphone out, regardless of where the headphone, main, or direct monitor output pots were set. I made sure that the 0404 was set up to sync to 44.1k before disconnecting it from the PC, and the sync LED's indicated that nothing was wrong. There is nothing in the 0404 control panel that comes up when you click on the systray icon to direct it to use the S/PDIF input rather than the USB data stream.

Included in the box was a separate "Read First...." document, just printed on plain paper and stapled together, so I presume that indicates it is the latest info to clarify what is in the regular full manual. It states under "Known Issues":

"S/PDIF on the 0404 USB 2.0 is only accessible via a multichannel application such as Cubase LE or Sonar LE. S/PDIF will not appear in the Windows Sound and Audio Devices Control Panel."

Up above that, though, is a statement that some of the issues may be resolved via a driver/software update, but the E-MU site has no new software or drivers of any sort available.

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Oh, I did know what you meant, but I found that it doesn't work that way, either. Why? I guess it comes down to this: how would one direct the unit to route data from the S/PDIF input to the DAC rather than the USB input?

I just connected the coax dig out from a multiformat player with a CD in the drive to the dig in of the 0404, and nothing played through the headphone out, regardless of where the headphone, main, or direct monitor output pots were set. I made sure that the 0404 was set up to sync to 44.1k before disconnecting it from the PC, and the sync LED's indicated that nothing was wrong.

Well, I asked since in this review it's mentioned some users could get it to work as a external dac:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...-0404-usb.html

"For that we get a bonus: the interface can work without a PC as an external pre-amplifier. However, to make us completely happy, vendor could add the standalone DAC mode with external clocking.) By the way, we found out that some users still succeeded in making the device work as a standalone external DAC."

So, that'd mean that at least it works as a preamp? Meaning one can connect a Mic or a analog signal, and hear it by the headphone jack and analog outs right? I asked in my previous post about this because if this is so one could use a mic with phantom power and then record with a minidisc from the analog out.

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

"S/PDIF on the 0404 USB 2.0 is only accessible via a multichannel application such as Cubase LE or Sonar LE. S/PDIF will not appear in the Windows Sound and Audio Devices Control Panel."

I think it's not only that type of software (sequencer/multitr.) but ASIO compatible software in generally you can 'see' the S/PDIF I/O. Just try Hermann Seib's VSTHost, NI TRAKTOR BeatPort Player, maybe Foobar/Winamp/MediaMonkey w/ ASIO too, etc..

jiitee

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's not only that type of software (sequencer/multitr.) but ASIO compatible software in generally you can 'see' the S/PDIF I/O. Just try Hermann Seib's VSTHost, NI TRAKTOR BeatPort Player, maybe Foobar/Winamp/MediaMonkey w/ ASIO too, etc..

jiitee

Well, I picked up an 0404 USB last night after reading so many good things about it. In general, I thought it sounded pretty good. I did a quick test, and yes it works as a standalone DAC. I fed the optical output of my old MiniDisc deck to the optical in on the 0404, and it worked just fine.

But I had issues when using foobar, which is what I really purchased this for. Using foobar 0.9.4.2 and ASIO 1.2.4, I can add a new ASIO device and foobar detects 4 channels. Two analog ports and two SPDIF ports. So I map the analog to stereo L/R and leave the SPDIF set to none. Set the output device to ASIO 0404 USB and it works. However, there's high CPU usage, and major lag when starting/stopping playback or changing tracks. In addition, every once in a while, foobar throws up an error saying the output device has 2 channels, expected 4. If I go into the ASIO config, the 0404 device now reports only two analog channels. Fine, I remove the device, add it back now with only 2 channels reported. At this point, it will either stop working or work and then throw up an error saying the output device has 4 channels, expected 2. So I don't know what's going on, but for some reason, the SPDIF channels seem to go down them come up sporadically, causing ASIO to go screwy. Yuck.

Using DirectSound output, there are no issues at all. Kernel Streaming produces no output however. Nothing, regardless of which bit-depth I chose. So mine's going back to the store. Anyone else experience the same issues?

Jan 7, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

So, that'd mean that at least it works as a preamp? Meaning one can connect a Mic or a analog signal, and hear it by the headphone jack and analog outs right? I asked in my previous post about this because if this is so one could use a mic with phantom power and then record with a minidisc from the analog out.

Yes, I can even plug in an electric guitar into the Mic/Hi-Z/Line input and listen to it on the headphones or on my monitors using the Main Output....all without being connected to a computer.

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by crystal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I can even plug in an electric guitar into the Mic/Hi-Z/Line input and listen to it on the headphones or on my monitors using the Main Output....all without being connected to a computer.

Great
smily_headphones1.gif
Now there's only left if it's possible to make a portable battery pack so one can use the emu on the go. This would make for a KILLER portable Dac, amp, and preamp (to use with a minidisc). I am drooling
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

I just connected the coax dig out from a multiformat player with a CD in the drive to the dig in of the 0404, and nothing played through the headphone out, regardless of where the headphone, main, or direct monitor output pots were set. I made sure that the 0404 was set up to sync to 44.1k before disconnecting it from the PC, and the sync LED's indicated that nothing was wrong. There is nothing in the 0404 control panel that comes up when you click on the systray icon to direct it to use the S/PDIF input rather than the USB data stream.

There is....at least it works for me....make sure you are selecting "external sync" on the EMU control panel. Make sure you know for sure the sample rate of the player and set that in the EMU's control panel as well.

I'm listening to my very vintage circa early 1980s Philips CD-160 CD player's digital output at this very moment @44.1kHz through the 0404 USB!
600smile.gif

Jan 7, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by crystal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is....at least it works for me....make sure you are selecting "external sync" on the EMU control panel. Make sure you know for sure the sample rate of the player and set that in the EMU's control panel as well.

I'm listening to my very vintage circa early 1980s Philips CD-160 CD player's digital output at this very moment @44.1kHz through the 0404 USB!
600smile.gif

Interesting, but if possible, please go through all the steps that you used to do that from the point of powering up your 0404, including the settings for all the controls on the face of the 0404, order of connections, etc.......

For some reason, even if I select external sync, 44.1k rate in the 0404 control panel, then connect the coax from an external player and then start a CD in the player, I then get a solid Ext synch LED on the 0404, but I get nothing out of either the headphone or main outputs.

Nothing changes regardless of what direct monitor option is active.

Jan 7, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

Interesting, but if possible, please go through all the steps that you used to do that from the point of powering up your 0404, including the settings for all the controls on the face of the 0404, order of connections, etc.......

For some reason, even if I select external sync, 44.1k rate in the 0404 control panel, then connect the coax from an external player and then start a CD in the player, I then get a solid Ext synch LED on the 0404, but I get nothing out of either the headphone or main outputs.

Nothing changes regardless of what direct monitor option is active.

After you've set everything up on the control panel....

1) Try powering on the CD player before you power up the 0404.
2) Try toggling the S/PDIF button on the top panel to Optical and then back to Coaxial.

Jan 8, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #44 of 52
Turns out that I can get the unit to work as a standalone DAC with the coax out of my Pioneer multiformat player, but not with the coax dig out of my MF CD-Pre.

The digital inputs on the CD-Pre sync up to the digital output of the Pioneer, as does the a/v receiver.....but for some reason, even with both the 0404 and the CD-Pre indicating that they are synced, there is no sound. I was starting to think there is something odd (or inoperable) about the CD-Pre's coax digital out, but I ran it into a coax input on the a/v receiver, and all was just fine from the get go. Weird.

As you said, it seemed certain that one has to be sure that all is set up right before disconnecting the 0404 from the PC. That said, I was sure that it was set for external sync when I shut it down and removed it, but when I powered it up after disconnecting it, only the internal sync LED was lit. The external LED lit up when I connected the coax from the CD-Pre, but even with cycling the power, both stayed lit.

But then I decided to connect the optical, and removed the coax and cycled the power.......I got only the external LED when it powered up and the S/PDIF optical LED was lit. All I had to do was switch the Direct Monitor from off to Main, and surprise, surprise........output from the phones connected to the internal headamp. Cutting power to the CD-Pre makes the 0404 sync switch back from external to internal, but it comes right back to external when the CD-Pre is turned back on.

So I now wonder if it really matters how the 0404 is set up when disconnected--it seems that cycling the power with the TOSLINK attached with a good signal coming in was all it took to get it going. It appears that all of my confusion stems from the strange behavior of the coax out from the CD-Pre!

Now all I have to do is figure out why Foobar seems to lose the ASIO channel mapping for the 0404 ASIO driver every time my notebook is rebooted. The device still appears just as it did before shutting down, but the mapping window is empty when I click on "Edit" on the Virtual ASIO page. I must remove the 0404 from the installed ASIO device list, then add it back, then make it the selected Output, and all returns to normal. That was simple before I installed Cubase LE on that machine--now it takes a bit longer as it searches and comes up with three different ASIO device options, but only the one specifically for the 0404 works....the others have more generic titles.

Jan 8, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

Turns out that I can get the unit to work as a standalone DAC with the coax out of my Pioneer multiformat player, but not with the coax dig out of my MF CD-Pre.

The digital inputs on the CD-Pre sync up to the digital output of the Pioneer, as does the a/v receiver.....but for some reason, even with both the 0404 and the CD-Pre indicating that they are synced, there is no sound. I was starting to think there is something odd (or inoperable) about the CD-Pre's coax digital out, but I ran it into a coax input on the a/v receiver, and all was just fine from the get go. Weird.

As you said, it seemed certain that one has to be sure that all is set up right before disconnecting the 0404 from the PC. That said, I was sure that it was set for external sync when I shut it down and removed it, but when I powered it up after disconnecting it, only the internal sync LED was lit. The external LED lit up when I connected the coax from the CD-Pre, but even with cycling the power, both stayed lit.

But then I decided to connect the optical, and removed the coax and cycled the power.......I got only the external LED when it powered up and the S/PDIF optical LED was lit. All I had to do was switch the Direct Monitor from off to Main, and surprise, surprise........output from the phones connected to the internal headamp. Cutting power to the CD-Pre makes the 0404 sync switch back from external to internal, but it comes right back to external when the CD-Pre is turned back on.

So I now wonder if it really matters how the 0404 is set up when disconnected--it seems that cycling the power with the TOSLINK attached with a good signal coming in was all it took to get it going. It appears that all of my confusion stems from the strange behavior of the coax out from the CD-Pre!

Now all I have to do is figure out why Foobar seems to lose the ASIO channel mapping for the 0404 ASIO driver every time my notebook is rebooted. The device still appears just as it did before shutting down, but the mapping window is empty when I click on "Edit" on the Virtual ASIO page. I must remove the 0404 from the installed ASIO device list, then add it back, then make it the selected Output, and all returns to normal. That was simple before I installed Cubase LE on that machine--now it takes a bit longer as it searches and comes up with three different ASIO device options, but only the one specifically for the 0404 works....the others have more generic titles.

Mirrors my experience for the most part......it seems to me that the sample rate on the control panel does have to be correct. After that, it seemed to be OK on it's own. As I said, the only thing I'd have to do sometimes is toggle the S/PDIF button.
Happy to see that you got it working.......
eggosmile.gif

Actually, now having been testing with the Philips, in combination with the 0404 USB, I have chanced upon a nice little self contained CD/DAC/Headphone Amp combination for when the computer is off..........sweet.....not actually what I had in mind when I bought it.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back