e-mu 1212m VS Asus Xonar STX (DAC only)
Sep 22, 2009 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

adam_eu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
which one is a better source?
It will be paired with Heed Canamp and K701.

*If someone think that stand alone DAC in this price range would be better solution, let me know which one.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 11
both have excellent DAC chips - if youre not using the Xonar's amp, I'd imagine it comes down to nothing more than preference

that being said, I absolutely love the 1212m's analog-outs. a very detailed sound, that still has a bit of weight and richness to it

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 11
When you mean the DAC only are you talking about comparing just the DAC chips?
If, so the DAC on the ST(X) is the PCM1792A and is one of the best spec's DAC chips available from any company.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 11
If there's no big difference in SQ than i would buy xonar.
It's more practical (games, movies) and in future (I'm planning to upgrade setup in 2 years) I would use it as a transport (via optical) to better DAC like Havana. I think that for now any better dac will be an overkill for Canamp and ATM I can't afford any better than this.

So any other suggestions?

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 11
I dont see any problem with the Xonar - go for it

of course, I dont see why the Xonar would be any better for movies. and when it comes to games, who uses EAX anyways?

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 11
the emu has bit-matched ASIO drivers, the Asus does not...it's got a fixed sample rate in the drivers and will resample ASIO/KS if it doesn't match the file you intend to play. no biggy if you only play CDDA, but vastly annoying if you like play HD files or DVD as well
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 11
can't tell, never tried my luck on Vista...it was buggy enough for me on XP...both the buggy drivers(3 resident apps) and mandatory ASIO/KS resample made me resell the card very quickly
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by adam_eu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there's no big difference in SQ than i would buy xonar.
It's more practical (games, movies) and in future (I'm planning to upgrade setup in 2 years) I would use it as a transport (via optical) to better DAC like Havana. I think that for now any better dac will be an overkill for Canamp and ATM I can't afford any better than this.

So any other suggestions?

First, you cannot compare SQ of Audio card, by the DAC alone, other components are much more important, otherwise older DACs and CP players would be crap..

The EMU 1212M is one of the best digital out source, I can say that because it has been compared to monsters like the Lynx and RME, so it can go with the Havana too,
the Essence can be better, but the times of meticulous comparing audio cards are long dead,.
The Emu is too professional, too analitical, and occupies too much space,
my advice, buy both and compare yourself..
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back