E-MU 1212m + Audigy 2 - Why they don't play nice.
Jun 14, 2004 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

shuurajou

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I've been having endless amounts of problems with getting my EMU to run with the Audigy 2 on my computer, but needless to say, I tried pretty much everything.

It seems, that the problem boils down to a file called 'ctaud2k.sys' which is stored in the 'windows\system32\drivers' directory. Obviously, it doesn't seem that either of the products producers took into consideration, that BOTH of the drivers -- for both the Audigy 2, and the E-MU, have (and use) this file, and in exactly the same location. To my knowledge, the file contents is different for both of them (even though named the same, and stored in the same place).

So, the E-MU's version and the Audigy 2's version seem to be different. God knows why, they called it the same for the E-MU as they did the Audigy 2 -- to create conflicts? -- I dunno. A simple renaming would have done wonders. Seems stupid of them to product two different cards, that try to install their drivers into the same location, with the same names, as one of their cards that they say are meant to run together without problems.

This also explains, that in one of my attempts, in order to get my system to start up with both the E-MU and the Audigy2, I had to disable my E-MU. But when attempting to enable it whilst in windows, the system crashed to the blue screen of death, quoting the file name 'ctaud2k.sys'.

I've tried my hardest to get things to work, but I end up with nothing but problems.

I started up my computer, with NO sound devices plugged into my motherboard. I removed all emu, and audigy software (plus drivers), from my system; rebooting after each action.

I then, restarted in safe mode, running JV16 to clean my registry of redundent files; running disk cleanup to remove any temporary or un-needed files; running driver cleaner to clear all traces of creative drivers from my system.

I then rebooted, one more time, before shutting down the system.

First thing I did, was place my E-MU, at the furthest PCI slot away possible, from where I was going to install my Audigy2 in my system.

Start up the system, install the E-MU 1212m, works fine alone.

Turn off the system, insert the Audigy furthest away possible from the E-MU.

Unfortunately, still problems >_<.

edit: not only 'ctaud2k.sys' is used in both cards -- but MOST Files are >_<

Jun 14, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 18
I've had similar problems. At first, I decided to just live with the E-MU only, but I'm now having some sound problems in games that seem to expect an Audigy (like Far Cry).

So...has anyone tried using the digital output of an Audigy card (like the Audigy2 ZS) to a quality DAC? I'm wondering how Audigy + a quality DAC stacks up against the E-MU.

Jun 14, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
The Audigy still resamples audio going to it's digital out so it's still unusable in an audiophile situtation.

I've got the audigy2 looped to my rme through the spdif out, and you know what, I can't tell the difference.

Jun 14, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 18
Anyways, shuur, the answer really was given in the link I provided in your other post. Download drivercleaner from driverheaven.net to fully uninstall all audigy2 drivers after ripping the card out. Then install emu, then audigy2. Did you not take the time to read it or have you tried this and it didnt work either?

Jun 14, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 18
Yes,he did that,he still has problems.I suggest he tries to install EMU firstI(without au2 in the pci slot),reboot,make sure EMU is working,then shut down,install Au2 in the slot,when windows says found the new hardware,go to manually install the drivers for it (not running the setup.exe,but with "install from a list or specific location" thing).

Jun 14, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadobhuk
Yes,he did that,he still has problems.I suggest he tries to install EMU firstI(without au2 in the pci slot),reboot,make sure EMU is working,then shut down,install Au2 in the slot,when windows says found the new hardware,go to manually install the drivers for it (not running the setup.exe,but with "install from a list or specific location" thing).

Strange that it would work for one pc and not another. Guess all he can do is wait for new drivers.

Jun 15, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 18
Unfortunately, the problem seems to be that when both sound cards are enabled, that I get sound disortions from either card. However, when one card is disabled, the other card will produce sound fine, and vice versa.

IRQ's are not causing conflicts as they are both seperate. I'm in contact with E-MU tech support at the moment who have been largely helpful with the issue.

You can follow some developements here: http://www.productionforums.com/emu/...p?TOPIC_ID=507

Jun 15, 2004 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 18
you could also try multiple hardware profiles. you've had to reboot each time you wanted to use another card, but at least they might be able to somehow coexist.

Jun 17, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #10 of 18
Been in touch with E-MU tech support, once I get to the bottom of it I plan on making a big guide on how to install both cards cleanly and correctly. It might end up being quite lenghtly, but it'll be useful to people I hope. I write down every move I make to try and make this work
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #11 of 18
That would be great! I would at least appreciate your effort
k1000smile.gif

I'm going to be getting an EMU 1212m on friday [well, at least ordering one thru Zemo then] and depending on how I like its game performance, I'll go for an Audigy2ZS

Jun 18, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 18
Still currently having issues, I've tried pretty much everything under the Sun I can imagine. But, I'll keep slogging away. At the moment I have them disable/enabled alternatively on two seperate hardware profiles. So, just watch this space I guess untill I can find a real solution.

Jun 18, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadobhuk

Did you try that too?It's kinda weird that they work fine in my computer,under the same WinXP professional,and dont work on yours.May be it has something to do with the moverboard chipset,or may be your Audigy drivers are too new.Mine are from 2002 year when I bought it.Is your audigy "ZS" or plain 6.1?

Jun 19, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #14 of 18
I've tried every single possible solution I can think of, and what E-MU Tech support have recommended, but still to no avail. Somebody said it could be my PCI bus speed, and that I should raise it, but I can find no option in the motherboard.

Jun 23, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #15 of 18
Just a little update

Still no luck, unfortunately it seems I have tried every trick in the book. I guess the problem comes down to my PCI bus latency, which I have never heard of being an issue before, but I trust the E-MU support guys, they do know what they're on about, and they've been a great help.

I was running a Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra 2, for those of you who were wondering. There is however, no option for me to edit my PCI bus latency settings in my mobo BIOS, so I'm kinda screwed.

Dual hardware profiles it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back