E-MU 0x0x USB, final Vista drivers + firmware updates ... available now
Feb 20, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenghanHsieh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The I/O of the EMU0404 USB is 24 bits, so it can lower the volume of CD quality playback without sacrificing a bit for there are 8 bits of digital headroom for the 16bits original data ( the maximum output level is always -0db ).

Excellent point.

I just measured the main output voltages on a couple of 1 kHz test tones (0 dBFS and -14 dBFS) via Foobar>ASIO with the Win master volume maxed and at minimum. In both cases, the level dropped by just about 26 dB (DMM indicated 2.08 Vrms at max, 0.098 Vrms at min for the 0 dBFS tone.) Given that my meter isn't necessarily that accurate when measuring VAC below 50 mV, the true reduction might have been 24 dB, or limited to 4 bits.

Thus, as jenghanHsieh indicates, that level of volume reduction shouldn't reduce resolution of a 16-bit source file running on a 24-bit d/a system.

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #17 of 29
edit

Anyone test the digital outputs on the 0404USB with Vista? Using Foobar with ASIO everything (TS output on rear, digital output, I assume the headphone out) works but using 'Digital Ouput, E-MU 0404 | USB' for Media Player Classic the coax digital out doesn't work though TS output on the rear does. I have the S/PDIF Output Format set to S/PDIF, my other dac locks on the signal but I just don't think its outputting the audio.

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #18 of 29
You need to go to the Preferences>Playback>Output>ASIO (dll version) configuration dialog within Foobar and shift the output channels......in Foobar 0.8.3, set the "Shift output channels" value to 2. I'm unsure of what is required to do that in 0.9.x versions, though it is somewhere within the ASIO configuration panel.

Effectively, the 0404 USB can only send the digital stream coming in over USB to one of the two destinations--the internal DAC and output stage (as you had it set above, if you could hear the analog output) or the S/PDIF transmission circuitry......and if it goes there, the analog outputs are dead.

Also, set the Direct Monitor to S/PDIF and crank the Direct Monitor encoder knob to the right.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #19 of 29
I have firmware 8.04 for the 0404 and beta 0.9.5 for foobar. When I use ASIO with foobar I can get output for both S/PDIF and analog TS. I do have to set the Left/Right for SPDIF on ASIO to get both to output. I tried setting direct monitor to SPDIF and SPDIF to coax but no go with media player class. Thanks to sejarzo for the suggestion. I'll ask for support from Creative and see what comes up and post any informative results. Thanks.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #20 of 29
The only way to get output from the S/PDIF coax or optical on the 0404 USB, according to E-MU, is to use an ASIO-capable application.

I don't know how Media Player Classic could get around that limitation--but maybe, as you note, E-MU TS can shed some light on that.

However, based on my experience with them, I wouldn't count on it--they have answered questions only partially and then never responded to follow-up emails to get more complete answers.

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #22 of 29
It's in the manual, in the E-MU Knowledge Base, and has been discussed here, several times--this recent thread, for instance:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/04...al-out-292443/

I sympathize with you--searching this forum for info on the 0404 USB, if you are not a contributing member and can perform Boolean searches, turns up so many hits on the 0404 USB that you really can't find such answers quickly.

Feb 24, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #23 of 29
I wanted to ask the 0404 owners out there how the new drivers/firmware are panning out (either on XP or Vista)?

Are they more stable? Any pops/ticks? Does it continue to "lose" settings in foobar 0.9.x?

I am thinking of using one strictly for USB input, digital output, and need something stable and tick-free with ASIO
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to ask the 0404 owners out there how the new drivers/firmware are panning out (either on XP or Vista)?

Are they more stable? Any pops/ticks? Does it continue to "lose" settings in foobar 0.9.x?

I am thinking of using one strictly for USB input, digital output, and need something stable and tick-free with ASIO
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It still seems to lose settings in foobar after a computer restart. Its just a minor annoyance however and I just overlook it.

I'm using 0404 USB on XP system ... latest driver/firmware update works well. If you have had experience with pops/ticks with this device then I suggest you to look the culprit for those issues somewhere else in your system.

What makes you think it's an E-MU driver issue ... if that is the case then wouldn't this happen with every software ... to me it looks like it does not happen (I use ~10 audio software through ASIO drivers every day (though, no Foobar)).

jiitee

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #26 of 29
about time they updated this stuff, although i just use audio midi on leopard to mess with sampling rates, i tried to use the original software once and it was awful on leopard. hope to god that it's better now.

and are they supporting 192 on mac finally or am i completely reading the updates wrong?

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

wink.gif

Everything is fine except for the fact that for some strange reason when I pause wmp or itunes and the 0404 is set to 44.1 nothing plays when I resume from pause. I have to restart my machine to get things working again. Other than that I am a happy camper.

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwormie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything is fine except for the fact that for some strange reason when I pause wmp or itunes and the 0404 is set to 44.1 nothing plays when I resume from pause. I have to restart my machine to get things working again. Other than that I am a happy camper.

No iTunes here, just WMP11 on XPSP2, and I can pause and restart without any difficulty.

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

I can't comment on the USB 0404, but I'm pretty sure that no sound card driver will fix the lost ASIO settings in foobar2000. It seems to be an issue with the program itself, from what I can see. I have the same issue with 2 sound cards, neither of which are USB, and neither of which had such problems in 0.8.x with the ASIO plugin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back