E-MU 0404 USB and OS X Lion
Sep 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mgmz

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

E-MU will not release drivers for Lion.
Are there any unofficial drivers on another way to get it to work on Lion?

Thanks,
mgmz

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 11
You shouldn't need to install any drivers if you use something other than the USB. Try optical connection if your MAC has that as an option.

edit: the optical out would only allow you to send sounds out of your computer to the e-mu, but not back in to your computer, so not so great a solution if you are planning on using it for music production.

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 11
I can't give a definitive answer on a generic driver. However, a) you could probably find a USB to SPDIF converter of a type that supports Lion - although I don't know if that is cost effective, or b) have you tried using the driver that e-mu does have available for the MAC OS? Just because they haven't updated it for Lion doesn't mean it won't work - depending on how much has changed under the hood with this latest MAC OS, and if all else fails: c) load an earlier version of MAC OS onto your computer that the driver does work with.

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 11
Same problem here.  There are 2 workarounds.  The first is the optical connection already mentioned, which is what I'm currently using. Are you sure you don't have one?  If your Mac can run OSX Lion, it should be new enough that the headphone jack is also an optical out. Grab a toslink-to-miniplug and check.  

The second is to boot into the 32 bit kernel  (Lion boots 64 by default).  There are a few ways to do this.   The first is to use the command line in the Terminal:  (taken from a discussion on Apple's boards about the EMU)
[size=1em] Here is the command for Lion:[/size]
[size=1em] [size=1em]sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386[/size][/size]
[size=1em]  [/size]
[size=1em] to switch back to 64-bit mode use:[/size]
[size=1em] [size=1em]sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64[/size][/size]
[size=1em]  [/size]
[size=1em] Hit the 32 bit line and reboot with the EMU usb plugged in and on.  You will be able to switch to it in the Sound Prefs, though you won't be able to use the software (soft clipping settings, etc).  You can still record though; the mic inputs and digital ins are recognized and transmitted just fine back through the USB. Hope this trick works in the meantime.  [/size]
[size=1em]  [/size]
[size=1em] Downside to the 32 bit kernel is some speed/power.  Likely won't notice though.  There are little programs that will do what the terminal commands do, if you don't like the command line.  You'll have to tell it to go back to 64 though with the other command if you ever want to.  [/size]
[size=1em]  [/size]
[size=1em] I was doing that for a while, but I do a lot of video and sound editing so it was a pain to go back and forth.  But I didn't want to spend good money on another USB DAC/Headphone amp right now, so I switched to Optical out and use a different input device for the recording side.  The optical out though lets me use the good DAC, get a decent headphone system and send great analog out to my amp from the computer. (FYI, if you do have optical out, and want to use the EMU as a headphone amp, set the S/PDIF to Optical and the Direct Monitor to Main.) [/size]
[size=1em]  [/size]
[size=1em] Other than that, it might be time to look for a firewire setup (if you ever need recording: Audiofire or M-Audio) or a new USB setup (of which there are plenty to choose from).  It doesn't seem that anyone is writing a generic driver...or firmware update that can talk to the 64 bit kernel.[/size]

Oct 15, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 11
Just to let you know, they released drivers for OSX Lion (and Snow Leopard) this friday.  No announcement on the front page but saw it on another Head-Fi forum.  Just go to the site and hit the downloads for the EMU 0404. 

Haven't put them through the ringer yet though, so fingers remaining crossed. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 11
Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread, but any developers using the Mountain Lion developer's preview who can comment on changes to the audio handling between Lion? With respect to the E-MU lineup, of course...

I'm assuming that the upcoming upgrade won't damage the Lion drivers since the Rosetta switch has already been made with these new, final issued drivers.  But would be nice to confirm before I upgrade and break my recording setup.  As we learned with Lion, going backwards is sometimes hard to do....

Also, any chance we're getting integer mode support back?  Never got an explanation of why they took it out in Lion but wouldn't mind taking advantage of it. 

Cheers.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 11
Looks like we do get Integer Mode back in Mt. Lion 10.8.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/audirvana-plus-direct-mode-12261/

Integer Mode and "Direct Mode" now working on Audirvana Plus in Developer Preview and, ostensibly then, in the very-soon to come release. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
I'm assuming that the upcoming upgrade won't damage the Lion drivers since the Rosetta switch has already been made with these new, final issued drivers.  But would be nice to confirm before I upgrade and break my recording setup.  As we learned with Lion, going backwards is sometimes hard to do....

Unfortunately it seems we've been had again. Silly me, I just upgraded my desktop Mini to Mountain Lion (ignoring any common sense and past experiences). And you know what - the interface is not detected under ML at all and there is no new driver on Creative's site. Bummer.

EDIT: Sorry, I either messed up or they released a new driver. http://files2.europe.creative.com/manualdn/Drivers/EMU/12115/0x17B6B1C9/EMUU_MacAppDrv_US_1_50_07.dmg.zip works with ML too.

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 11
Still works post ML-upgrade without a new driver install for me.  That doesn't mean it won't stop working though! 

Will update if ML does start to give the EMU any trouble.  Glad yours is running too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back