E-MU 0404 UB main output volume
Nov 26, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 25
Have you launched the Patchmix app to view your input and output levels? Just keep 'em out of the red as a general rule of thumb I suppose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I got a Corda Cantate recently (mr. Meier is a really great guy!). I have it plugged in the main output (the 3.5 mm one) of E-MU 0404 USB that I own. But what I'd like to know is, how loud must I make the main output level? Currently have it @ max.
For pictures of the 0404 go here - E-MU Systems - 0404 USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 25
The main output level on the 0404 USB should be set to the maximum (+0 dB) setting in most cases.

That produces a nominal 2.10 Vrms output for a 0 dBFS digital signal, virtually the same as most CD players or other sources (typically spec'd at 2.0 Vrms; 2.1 Vrms is only about 0.4 dB higher.)

The volume knob on the outboard unit is just an analog pot to attenuate the output level, so there is no chance of driving anything inside the 0404 USB to or beyond clipping by setting it at the maximum level.

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 25
Whoops, sorry about that. Interesting. I find the app invaluable.

Quote:

No Patchmix for 0404 USB. I think it's only for E-MU PCI cards.

Dec 29, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 25
Question about the balanced output level...

I don't see the option in the drivers to switch from consumer level (-10 dB) to pro level (+4 dB) like I had with PatchMix. Does the 0404 USB automatically sense a balanced load and increase the output to match it?

Dec 29, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

But what I'd like to know is, how loud must I make the main output level? Currently have it @ max.

It is better to set volume to max (as it is possible, but care about overdriving), for better S/N ratio.
(i'm sorry about my english...but i hope you understand me
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question about the balanced output level...

I don't see the option in the drivers to switch from consumer level (-10 dB) to pro level (+4 dB) like I had with PatchMix. Does the 0404 USB automatically sense a balanced load and increase the output to match it?

Not exactly, as far as I can tell. Check page 52 of the manual.....the "professional" output level is shown as +12 dBV and the "consumer" level is shown as +6 dBV.

To me, that means that the output at the rear mini jack, or from a TS plug inserted into the TRS jacks, is simply the "hot" side of the balanced output versus signal ground, and when one inserts a TRS plug, one gets double the voltage from "hot" versus "cold".

Refresh my memory.......what does pro level/+ 4dB mean in terms of Vrms output for a 0 dBFS digital signal?

Dec 30, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not exactly, as far as I can tell. Check page 52 of the manual.....the "professional" output level is shown as +12 dBV and the "consumer" level is shown as +6 dBV.

To me, that means that the output at the rear mini jack, or from a TS plug inserted into the TRS jacks, is simply the "hot" side of the balanced output versus signal ground, and when one inserts a TRS plug, one gets double the voltage from "hot" versus "cold".

Refresh my memory.......what does pro level/+ 4dB mean in terms of Vrms output for a 0 dBFS digital signal?

I'm not sure... Just looking at specs, it seems like the balanced Vrms output usually is around twice the value of the unbalanced Vrms output.

I remember from another thread that you found the unbalanced Vrms measurement for the 0404 USB to be 2.08 Vrms. If that output is +6 dB, then +12 dB could be 4.16 Vrms.

Don't most unbalanced sources output roughly 2.0 Vrms? If that's the case, why would E-MU list the output as +6 dB and not -10 dB?

Dec 30, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #14 of 25
Okay...

dBV = Vrms = 20*log(V2/V1) = x dB where V1 = 1.0 V

dBV = 20*log(x/1.0) = +6 dB
x = ~2 V

dBV = 20*log(x/1.0) = +12 dB
x = ~3.98 V

However, that calculation would imply that -10 dB consumer gear should have a Vrms of 0.316 V...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back