E-ink ebook readers? anyone tried one?
Oct 26, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read dozens of books on my Palm T|X using e-reader. Once you get used to it, its kind of nice.

I was thinking of upgrading to the T/X but then I saw the iPhone.

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking of upgrading to the T/X but then I saw the iPhone.

I hear you--and I also have an iPhone!
smily_headphones1.gif

T|X > iPhone :
* ebooks
* games
* its a real pda
* many third-party apps
* sd cards (up to 2GB-some 4GB, but they're unreliable)
* wifi sync

iPhone > T|X:
* its a phone
smily_headphones1.gif

* no audio hiss
* web/email/online experience vastly superior
* brighter screen
* better quality touch screen (no drift so far; no dead spots)
* much better battery life
* camera

both are great for videos/movies; but I'd give the iPhone the nudge

So, I find use for both; but my iPhone is always with me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why?

I think the Sony looks great as long as you just want to read books. Nice price on it too, and they have some deal on now where you can get $200 in books for free. The iRex does look pretty nice, but at over twice the cost it just doesn't do it for me. Would be neat to sketch and write on it though.

I live in Europe, It's not released here yet, so no guarantee when ordering from the US. With the cybook I get 2 years.

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #34 of 57
I see. Do you have any sources of info about it? There isn't too much on their site. I actually found the same problem myself when I looked into the Sony yesterday... It is so silly, me just across the border and everything.
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #36 of 57
Thanks, I'll have a look.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #40 of 57
i think a PDA is more usfull, but its hard to find one with a good screen, they keep insisting on making them smaller and smaller,

nitzche, if the itouch had bluetooth, i could excuse it, but it dosnt, and apple keeps insisting on having it locked down when it comes to applications,

Nov 2, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #41 of 57
I think some people simply have different perspectives, so I'll make an analogy we can all (presumably) understand.

An Ebook reader that uses e-ink generally only does one thing. It doesn't store contact details, it doesn't sync with bluetooth, it doesn't have wifi, or a backlight, or any of that. It has a wonderful screen, however, that is a joy to read from.

A PDA does many, many things. It's like a mobile computer, capable of a number of tasks.

In the same vein, a turntable only really does one thing. It can't skip tracks, it can't record, it can't play FM radio. It can only play vinyl records.

People who buy and use turntables don't do it for convenience, entirely. They do it primarily for quality, or at least a balance of quality and convenience that leans towards quality. Ebook readers are exactly the same way. You can definitely read books on a PDA, and you can definitely store more songs on a device if you use a lower bitrate, but you give up some of the quality.

Ebook readers are excellent if you want to read books. For other purposes, look elsewhere.

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think some people simply have different perspectives, so I'll make an analogy we can all (presumably) understand.

An Ebook reader that uses e-ink generally only does one thing. It doesn't store contact details, it doesn't sync with bluetooth, it doesn't have wifi, or a backlight, or any of that. It has a wonderful screen, however, that is a joy to read from.

Without support for highlighting, annotations, or some other kind of on page notes, the problem is that e-books are less functional than their paper equivalents. They're fine for novel reading, but end up being not very useful for students or professionals who need to take notes on what they're reading. And for novel readers, wouldn't you rather curl up with an actual book?

Right now, these seem like a technology (great screens) hunting for a usable solution. It's fine that they don't have wireless, contacts, music, etc., but they should be at least as usable as regular books or they'll never sell in bulk. And at the very least they should support common formats like PDF directly, rather than oddball vendor-specific formats, and rather than requiring an extra PDF "optimization" or "conversion" step before transferring the files over.

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without support for highlighting, annotations, or some other kind of on page notes, the problem is that e-books are less functional than their paper equivalents.

I've used mine as a replacement for a textbook without issue. I don't generally write in or highlight my texts, I take notes separately. The multiple bookmarks support works just fine, at least for my needs. Regular books cannot, for instance, adjust text size automatically. They also can't be displayed in both landscape and layout format, and they don't allow you link directly to footnotes. Ebook readers do all of this and more, so I would say that they are at least "differently" functional.

Quote:

And for novel readers, wouldn't you rather curl up with an actual book?

Not at all. I have no particular attraction to dead trees, and the screen is so immensely readable that there is little difference to me. I've read for hours on end on my Sony, just like with novels. In many cases, its smaller size is a real benefit for me. I get rather tired of holding up 800 pages for extended periods of time.

Quote:

Right now, these seem like a technology (great screens) hunting for a usable solution. It's fine that they don't have wireless, contacts, music, etc., but they should be at least as usable as regular books or they'll never sell in bulk.

I have a whole host of usable solutions that I make frequent use of. I'm a frequent traveller, often for long periods of time. I don't want to pack many books, and now I don't need to. I also like to keep up to date when I'm spending extended periods of time in non english-speaking countries. The connect store allows me to buy and read books that would otherwise be impossible to find in, say, Turkey.

My reader does happen to have music, and although that limits the battery life it's nice to curl up at, say, a coffee shop somewhere with a book and a soundtrack in one compact unit. I don't use it very often, regardless.

As far as selling in bulk, you have a definite point there. I think the biggest upside is also the biggest liability -- the screen. I've found that most readers aren't swayed by features like highlighting, but they are swayed by a sub-$100 cost. The screen is what makes this device viable, but it also makes it expensive. That could change in time.

Quote:

And at the very least they should support common formats like PDF directly, rather than oddball vendor-specific formats.

Sony Readers, which are the most common hardware to my knowledge, support PDFs right out of the box. They also support simple .txt files, and convert .doc files. It's simpler than, say, putting most cd's on an iPod. The only problem is viewing a full size pdf document on a small screen. Homebrew solutions exist to serve this problem, but I think manufacturers would do well to implement pdf adaptation software into library management programs. The fact that I no longer had to print out 200+ pages of pdf documents a week was what really sold me on this device, so I'm happy to report that, with minimal effort (read: less effort than printing) pdf's are easily usable.

Nov 2, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony Readers, which are the most common hardware to my knowledge, support PDFs right out of the box. ... The only problem is viewing a full size pdf document on a small screen. Homebrew solutions exist to serve this problem, but I think manufacturers would do well to implement pdf adaptation software into library management programs.

This has already been dealt with by earlier posters in the thread, but the Sony reader doesn't really support PDFs out of the box... not in the sense that "it just works." Standard PDFs get transferred in a way that the text appears about 7 points tall, too small to read, so as you mention, there are homebrew pieces of software you have to chase down to reformat PDFs before they're truly usable. Then you have to keep two copies of every PDF around, the original and the "reformatted" version, and of course the page numbers on the two versions are not consistent, which poses an issue for notetaking. This is a geek solution, not a solution for average people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back