E-ink ebook readers? anyone tried one?
Oct 22, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #16 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An excellent suggestion, I've been looking for a reason to buy an iPhone. I have a number of novels and reference documents on my pda, via PDF and Adobe ebooks. I'm using an old Palm Zire 71, time for an upgrade.

Cool. The interface for document viewing is slightly different depending on whether you do it from Mail (via attachments) or via the general PDF reader (via binary bookmarks or URLs). Experiment with both, let us know what you think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum
i didnt know the touch had the same motion sensor as the iphone,

plus, im waiting for the touch V2 with BT,

It does have the same motion sensor, that's how it knows when to switch to coverflow, just like on the iPhone. It doesn't have a facial proximity sensor, since you never hold it up to your face.

Good luck waiting for an iTouch with Bluetooth. That's got to be at least a year away, if they do it at all.

Oct 22, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #17 of 57
these all have LCD screens, not like reading a book (paper) at all, and battery life sucks compared to the e-ink readers . you can do about 7500 page turns ( 15-20 books) . once the page has refreshed it barely uses any battery.

I've tried reading on LCD / CRT but I get a headache after 1 hour. The whole point about e-ink is that it looks just like printed text on paper ( a bit grayer like a newspaper)

sony_ereader.jpg

036a.jpg

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #18 of 57
e-ink is cool, no question. But I don't mind reading off a high-resolution LCD that much, especially if the user interface is done better (good PDF viewing, no conversions step to a special format, easy transfers, ability to add annotations, etc.). At some point, once you get done fiddling with processing your PDFs to be readable on an e-ink display (or not processing and getting the equivalent of 7 point text) it's not worth it, especially if the cost is high. I don't think the perfect device is out yet. It may never be. Maybe the XO laptop is closest. Its special screen is supposed to be close to e-ink.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #19 of 57
nice. very nice. i think that may have to go on my list for xmas

i havent seen anything like that before, i am struggling with my ebooks on an old PDA - this has to be better

cheers

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #20 of 57
I saw the older Sony model robert1325 has photos of at a Sony Outlet store (Gilroy, CA) for $199 last week. At that price it's more affordable, but it works only with Windows which knocks me out.

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #21 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good luck waiting for an iTouch with Bluetooth. That's got to be at least a year away, if they do it at all.

I just saw a bluetooth headset (ear-set) for the iPhone $129.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
these all have LCD screens, not like reading a book (paper) at all, and battery life sucks compared to the e-ink readers . you can do about 7500 page turns ( 15-20 books) . once the page has refreshed it barely uses any battery.

I've tried reading on LCD / CRT but I get a headache after 1 hour. The whole point about e-ink is that it looks just like printed text on paper ( a bit grayer like a newspaper)

Agreed, the screens are brighter, sharper, but bigger. When these things 1st came out I thought they were a great idea, plus they gave you free one-year subscription to the E-book club. But then I started to think about when I would actually use it. Well, I usually do my e-reading on the road, qued in the security check at the airport, waiting for a slow bank clerk etc. In and out of my shirt pocket, no digging into another bag. If I wanted to read something the size of a book, well I'd read an ink and paper book.

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #22 of 57
I got an Iliad iRex reader on eval at work and while the screen is awesome for reading from, I found the software was clunky and slow. I reckon in a few years and a few more itterations of the hardware/software, these devices will be amazing.

Oct 24, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #23 of 57
I own and love my PRS-500. I'm looking at picking up the 505 at some point, but it's by no means at the top of my list.

The device is extremely convenient, easy to read, and honestly charming. The page refresh rate is only annoying for me on menus, but while I'm actually reading it has never bothered me.

There's an excellent community at mobileread.com that has come up with some very useful improvements to the 500, including a program which automatically converts your PDFs, and one that lets you change the page with your right hand.

If you're interested in it, get it. Just don't get it as anything other than a replacement for actual books, because it isn't.

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #24 of 57
I've been using a pda and now blackberry for ebook reading for so long that I jsut can't justify a single use product for it.

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by schapman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using a pda and now blackberry for ebook reading for so long that I jsut can't justify a single use product for it.

Then I'd recommend you don't try one, because once you see that e-ink screen all "justifications" go out the window.

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I'd recommend you don't try one, because once you see that e-ink screen all "justifications" go out the window.

Hey now... no telling me that. My bank account already hurts from joining this place :p

evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #28 of 57
This looks like a fun new gadget to obsess over for a bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

What do eBooks cost generally?

Oct 25, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm waiting for the cybook bookeen G3.

Why?

I think the Sony looks great as long as you just want to read books. Nice price on it too, and they have some deal on now where you can get $200 in books for free. The iRex does look pretty nice, but at over twice the cost it just doesn't do it for me. Would be neat to sketch and write on it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back