e-infin SE846 are fake
Mar 29, 2018 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

m4rkw

100+ Head-Fier
Apr 2, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 32
Always get from authorized seller! Do not believe the cheap price! The quality is compromised!

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 32
Grey Market.

What is Shure to say? "Oh, these are real, but don't buy from them as they have no warranty"? This may not deter bargain hunters, so they say they are fake. Anyways, the word 'fake' has taken on a number of new meanings recently :D

I mean, those clear ones? They are not they type of thing to counterfeit.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 32
Grey Market.

What is Shure to say? "Oh, these are real, but don't buy from them as they have no warranty"? This may not deter bargain hunters, so they say they are fake. Anyways, the word 'fake' has taken on a number of new meanings recently :D

I mean, those clear ones? They are not they type of thing to counterfeit.

Shure told me they have seen counterfeit copies of the clear ones and strongly hinted that this is what e-infin are doing. However given recent reports that they sound the same as real ones it seems grey market or phantom runs are a more likely explanation.

Apr 27, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 32
I purchased a black pair of these from the same online store, had a listen to a retail pair and to me they sound the same. How can I be sure these are real or fake? A grey import is not fake as such

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 32
Except we dont have Shure here in Australia hence my dilemma, is there a way to tell from the serial number? Manufacturing date? I have contacted Shure in Hong Kong and given them my serial number hopefully they can confirm something from that, will report back when I hear more. Thing is these look and sound real and are not an obvious fake in that the colour is right it has a metal thread with a 2 piece insert, stickers on the box inside the lid in the right place, all warranty cards etc, so hard to tell.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 32
Except we dont have Shure here in Australia hence my dilemma, is there a way to tell from the serial number? Manufacturing date? I have contacted Shure in Hong Kong and given them my serial number hopefully they can confirm something from that, will report back when I hear more. Thing is these look and sound real and are not an obvious fake in that the colour is right it has a metal thread with a 2 piece insert, stickers on the box inside the lid in the right place, all warranty cards etc, so hard to tell.

Probably grey imports. If they sound the same who cares I guess :)

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 32
I'd be afraid if I sent them to Shure they would confiscate them. Don't trust a corporation. I mean, what's the point? There's no profit. Having Shure authenticate them (which is unlikely) isn't going to help in a charge-back or return. They are almost certainly Grey goods anyway. But the chance they are hot, which is not your fault, is low, but Shure would keep them and you would be out the cash, and maybe worse.

Then again, maybe i'm being dramatic, and Shure is cool about it. I would Google it for similar expereinces.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 32
I'd be afraid if I sent them to Shure they would confiscate them. Don't trust a corporation. I mean, what's the point? There's no profit. Having Shure authenticate them (which is unlikely) isn't going to help in a charge-back or return. They are almost certainly Grey goods anyway. But the chance they are hot, which is not your fault, is low, but Shure would keep them and you would be out the cash, and maybe worse.

Then again, maybe i'm being dramatic, and Shure is cool about it. I would Google it for similar expereinces.

I think they charge for the authentication service so seems unlikely they’d confiscate them but i’d definitely ask first!

Apr 28, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 32
So are mine fake or simply a grey import? Purchased from e-infin seller has offered a refund
IMG_20180429_040148.jpg IMG_20180429_040312.jpg IMG_20180429_040336.jpg IMG_20180429_0412551.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #13 of 32
I think they charge for the authentication service so seems unlikely they’d confiscate them but i’d definitely ask first!
Did you try to register your SE846 on the Shure Hong Kong website? I tried and it said registration was successful, maybe they are not fake? Edit I tried a bogus registration with a random serial number that also activated so serial number means little it seems, still none the wiser.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #14 of 32
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if a convincing SE846 counterfeit can be made, they're popular and clone parts are very available.
Shell is easy
Filters are just knowles filters in a metal tube IIRC.
Chinese companies started offering clones of popular BA drivers, performing close to the originals for much lower prices.
The crossover shouldn't be too hard.
I've seen the mechanical LPF cloned too.

I'm no SE846 expert though.

May 7, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #15 of 32
Judging from those photos, they are definitely not fakes.

The only known fakes circulating the internet are these:
https://www.qoo10.sg/item/SHURE-SHU...IVER-BASS-SOUND-ISOLATING-EARPHONES/450800262
yes i know, terrible.

Plus, that's e-infinity (a well known grey importer with a good reputation). I'm yet to see an established grey importer sell actual counterfeit products. I've seen dodgy practices such as unsealed packaging, but never fakes.

As always, if they sound real, they probably are (since major compromises are made to sell fakes at significantly cheaper prices).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back