Dynaudio User -- Grado or Sennheiser?
Dec 2, 2008 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

CAMSHAFT

Head-Fier
Long time Audiophile, newb to Higher-end Headphones. I have Shure E2C's but want to step up my game. I have discounted purchase access to Grado and Senn which limits my selection plus I haven't ever listened to either. Can anyone shed any light on sonic signature? Between the two which one is more like the Dynaudio sound? I am partial to the Dynaudio sound and would like to have cans that are similar in presentation. If neither the Grado or Senn's are like the Dynaudio sound which one in the market is?

BTW I do plan on demoing the 600, 650, 595, 225 and 325i. Anyone on CAPE Cod or in MA available or know where I can demo?

Thanks for your time!!

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 16
I can't help you with a recommendation, but you might be interested in this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/of...r-13-a-377237/

The NY Head-Fi'ers are having a meet in a couple weeks. If you could find your way down there, you'll get to sample a huge amount of equipment.

I went to the LA meet in October - it was a blast. Lots of great gear and some of the nicest people you'll meet anywhere. Don't worry about being new, just pack your reference discs and go.

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 16
Yeah, the HD600/HD650 is probably what you are looking for. Smooth, laid back, easy to listen to. The Grados are probably the anti-Dynaudio. Fast, bright, aggressive, fatiguing.

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't help you with a recommendation, but you might be interested in this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/of...r-13-a-377237/

The NY Head-Fi'ers are having a meet in a couple weeks. If you could find your way down there, you'll get to sample a huge amount of equipment.

I went to the LA meet in October - it was a blast. Lots of great gear and some of the nicest people you'll meet anywhere. Don't worry about being new, just pack your reference discs and go.

Sounds cool. Thanks for the tip!!

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 16
Dynaudio BM6AMkII = RS1... bright and Better bass on the side of the RS1.
Genelec 8040A = Proline650...Crazy party all over the 3D.
Adam S3A = K702...Airrrrrrrr , give me air and space.

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 16
smooth laid back? have you guys actually listened to dynaudio speakers???

nothing is grado-like but the dyns have good energy and are up front like grado's.

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

nothing is grado-like but the dyns have good energy and are up front like grado's.

So true

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Yep, just no depth like the K702... I will go for the Adam S3A.

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Right back at you. Have you heard the HD650? We all hear and interpret differently. However, Dynaudio speakers are OFTEN described as smooth sounding, and of course they can present a sound stage more similar to that of the HD650 than of any Grado.

Quote:

No, speakers that would sound more like a Grado than a Dynaudio would have horn style tweeters and metal woofers while listening with one speaker within 1 foot of each side of one's head. Much different than any pair of Dynaudios.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMSHAFT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like there isn't much of a consensus. I do see more people leaning towards the Senn's....

A consensus should mean nothing if you're going to go listen to potential headphones. You may hear headphones that you prefer over anything discussed in this thread and regardless of anyone's perceived similarity to Dynaudios. However, you should realize that headphones can sound quite differently depending on the associated equipment used.

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A consensus should mean nothing if you're going to go listen to potential headphones.

Just trying to get a starting point...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back