Dynamic Top-end Headphone
Aug 13, 2009 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Deadmeat

New Head-Fier
I am currently quite new to this Forum but have been on and "Lurking" for quite a while and seemingly as the slogan "Sorry about your wallet" is going to seriously harm my poor wallet there is now an interest in High-end Dynamic headphones.

I am currently leaning towards the HD 800 due to many Positive impressions from several people here and elsewhere.

Completely open to other high-end headphone suggestions, A decision was made to ask here on head-fi for some genuine responses.

I also would be glad to hear suggestions about the most impressive Amps/DAC combos you have heard with the hd 800 with or without Balanced components.

Feel free to contact me via skype,msn*

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 40
I have sold the HD800 just to keep the very best dynamic cans: Joseph Grado HP2i !
("i" restored and improved by Joseph Grado). No any other headphones I had sounds like THIS Hp2i !

I have tested the HD800 and the HP2i with the same setup and amp (Millet 307a), after few days I have sold the Sennheiser... the new did not raplaced the old !!!

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 40
The well acknowledged dynamic top end cans include:

AKG K1000
Sennheiser HD800
Sony MDR-R10
Sony Qualia 010
Grado PS1
Grado HP1
Ultrasone Ed 9
Audiotechnica ATH-L3000
Audiotechnica ATH-W5000

And something else, can't remember. Most of the above are discontinued so if you're interested in buying new gear, the HD800 looks like a strong choice. I haven't heard it or most of the above cans, but they are considered the top tier.

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 40
All top cans have their own strength and weaknesses. So depending on which traits you look for in a can, you'll find a different top end can that works better for you.

Mind telling us what your priorities are?

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 40
Those coming to my mind are (in alphabetic order):
AKG K1000
Audio-Technica ATH-L3000
Grado HP1000
Grado PS1
Sennheiser HD800
Sony MDR-R10
Sony Qualia 010

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 40
The top priorities will lean towards Flat,uncolored response in the cans, also the ability to really sing out would be appreciated when it is supposed to.

A high-end can should be doing parts like calm/lively, boring/involving when it supposed to during the particular track it is playing. I would think so at least
icon10.gif
-

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 40
I can understand if it is hard to find one like that +_+ <

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 40
Get the HD800. Buy a nice, powerful amp (HeadAmp GS-1 perhaps?). Feed it with a well-designed vintage DAC with a slightly warmish sound signature that you get second-hand. Be happy.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadmeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The top priorities will lean towards Flat,uncolored response in the cans, also the ability to really sing out would be appreciated when it is supposed to.

A high-end can should be doing parts like calm/lively, boring/involving when it supposed to during the particular track it is playing. I would think so at least
icon10.gif
-

I was going to suggest the Denon in one of its variants AH-D2000/5000/7000 w/ MarkL mods, re-cable, and bubinga wood cups. But after reading the above I do not believe a close can is for you. I can not comment on the HD800 since I have not tested it, but based on your expectations the Sony Qualia or AKG K1000 would be high on the list. Of course both need a capable amp and source. Good luck.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #11 of 40
I'd also recommend the HD-800. It fits what you're looking for and it is easily the best headphone in production. You'll see recommendations for other "top" headphones that are discontinued. They're good, for sure, but you'll have to wait weeks or months for one to turn up and most (if not all) of them are no longer serviced by the factory. The HD-800 can be yours with just a phone call and Sennheiser can fix anything that goes wrong.

Personally, I like the HD-800 with transformer-coupled tube amps. The handful I've tried have been smooth and delicious. Pair that with your source of choice (I like vinyl, SACD and FM) and you'll be very happy.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 40
Another vote for the hd800 if you want a highly neutral option. If you want to save some cash pico --> wa6 w/ pdps and Sophia has been reported to have good results. Otherwise I think some other good options are ref1-->Phoenix or sabre32-->beta 22.

You may also want to consider the jh13s although I can't comment on them
bc my pair has not yet arrived.

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #13 of 40
I don’t want to get too off topic since you asked about dynamics. But I have found the JH-13s to be even more flat, neutral, and detailed than the HD800s. I was really impressed with the HD800s though, and would love to have a pair.

As for DACs, is cost an object? If not, go for a Lavry Gold!

Aug 13, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #15 of 40
if you want a chameleon fone, look for a grado hp2. however my suggestion is before you even mess around with the costlier headfones get a better source and amp first. the combo's are all mostly crap get separates.

the lavry is about as interesting as watching an hourglass. if you like that type of sound...
are you only limited to tube amps? they are not exactly transparent, but berning microZOTL is one of the better ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back