Dynamat mod for Sony MDR-1R
Sep 30, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #78 of 90
i'm using macks' 'pillowsoft' silicon earplug stuff on my HD 800 and 600's. you can mould it and stretch it thin, and it absorbs vibrations very well and lasts forever. they're about $4.00 a box, 6 pairs, on amazon. a pair works for the headphones.They're something i had around as earplugs and i just started improvising with them on a couple of headphones.

Sep 30, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #79 of 90
i'm using macks' 'pillowsoft' silicon earplug stuff on my HD 800 and 600's. you can mould it and stretch it thin, and it absorbs vibrations very well and lasts forever. they're about $4.00 a box, 6 pairs, on amazon. a pair works for the headphones.They're something i had around as earplugs and i just started improvising with them on a couple of headphones.
Got a picture on how you are using them?

Sep 30, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #80 of 90
no. on the sennheisers they're flattened on the outside mesh, and tucked around the rim of the inside in a couple of places. there was mod talk of how to tame the HD800's and i used the silcon on both. i then got silver dragon cable for the 800 and realized the sennheiser cable was adding capacitance, probably, muddying the soundstage. muddying which was eliminated by the dragons. silicons on the outer mesh when i need even more damped midrange, for hearing movie dialog, say. but, easy to pull off for chamber music.

Feb 19, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #82 of 90
I finally got around to performing the Mod last night on my MDR-1R's. My only regret is waiting so long to do it. The change for me was amazing. I used Dynamat and Accoustic Speaker fiber I sourced from Amazon. Someone else mentioned a "cleaner" sound. They just seem a lot more balanced after the mod. The additional detail, tighter bass, improved vocals, etc. really stood out to me. Can't recommend this mod enough. You wont be sorry. The toughest part for me was making the cutouts to fit around the molded plastic inside the cup, and some difficulty with the speaker fiber getting in the way of screwing the drivers back into the cups. Just be patient when you reassemble.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #86 of 90
After spending some time with modded MDR-1R I believe this modification deserved its own thread.
So, here it goes.
In my opinion the not so apparent but nonetheless nagging issue with MDR-1R is not very well controlled mid bass that extends into and muddies midrange. The phones feel "loose" and slightly veiled in mids. Well, almost the same problem Fostex Denons had. Extreme Dynamat worked pretty well for those so I've tried the same approach on Sonys and it worked wonders.

So a quick break down on the mod:
1) Remove earpad by inserting thin plastic spatula or something similar between earpad and cup rim at 9 or 3 o'clock. The earpads are hold in place on plastic clips, you need to unlock just one by pressing on it and the rest comes off easily. Just be careful and don't break the clips. This picture should help to visualize where the pressure should be applied

2) You need small philips screwdriver to unscrew driver from the cup.
3) Cut a corresponding size circle from dynamat, you can experiment with paper first to find the proper size that fits inside the cup. Put dynamat into freezer before cutting, that makes it much easier to work with.
4) Remove backing paper from dynamat and apply to the inside of cup. Now, thoroughly massage that circle so it sticks really good and there are no air bubbles left between dynamat and cup. Take your time, you can use solid round object like butt of a big screwdriver or just your thumb.
5) Screw the driver back to the ear cup, watch for the wire and small red rubber washers that go on cup's swivels (you can see them on the picture below).
6) Attach earpad back, seam should point down. It just clips on easily, make sure to go around to "click" each clip to lock.
7) Do the same on the second cup.

You can order Extreme Dynamat from here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020CATC/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ir
ir

The final product.

This Russian web site has a lot of detailed pictures of MDR-1R internals, that should help too
http://personalaudio.ru/review/full-size-headphones/naushniki_sony_1r_i_1rbt/

Sound changes:
- Well, to my ears the biggest difference from stock MDR-1R is the clarity, they sound much more detailed and crisp, the bass gains the control it needs and doesn't float all around but hits hard and precise.

Modded, I can't think of better portable phones that can work straight out of portable and deliver that level of details and enjoyment, of course personal preferences do apply but I am just a sucker for lush mids and romanticized, laid back presentation of those, and now with details retrievals and controls they deserved they are truly a gem.

The mod is fully reversible, but I honestly don't know what should happen to reverse it back to stock. Have fun.
beerchug.gif

EDIT: While there you can also apply some silicon or graphite on hinges to eliminate squeaking.
The pictures in the post seems corrupted and not showing. Could you help fix it?

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #87 of 90
Hello.
The main modding idea here is to somewhat imitate the inside damping of the Sony Mdr-Cd900st:
IMG_20211204_230746_800x600.jpg

Using a thick circle of glass wool to fill in the cup to improve bass presence. Plus an aluminium paper foil to replace Dynamat to try and prevent resonance phenomena.
IMG_20211206_083427_480x480.jpg
IMG_20211206_083754_600x800.jpg

I will try to improve the layers with different materials(foam or felt) but the acoustic results are already promising.
IMG_20211204_232246_480x640.jpg

I own the gem Mdr-z1000, and Mdr-1R has the same yellowish driver specifications(LCD diaphragm, but smaller: 40 mm instead of 50 mm). It deserves a fine tuning to truly shine.
IMG_20211204_224923_480x640.jpg
IMG_20211206_120315_800x600.jpg
Enjoy the silver cups with golden drivers.

If you want basshead cheap cans, try these, they're actually fine for fun:
IMG_20211206_223323_480x480.jpg

Seriously cheap (30 € in France).

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #88 of 90
I've been damping bass on my cans for about 3 years.

First: Blue tack doesn't offer much for the amount used - but its cheap.

Sorbothane - super effective, expensive, doesn't stay stuck

dynamat - don't need a lot, you want to damp down to get a better Q (check out woofer definition) not kill the life in the music.

I'm a HFM guy. I typically use a total of 2.5" x 1/3" cut into 3 non equal parts (1.2, .8, .5) and two more 1/2" x 1/4".

I don't listen loud, so its possible twice what I use makes sense - but I experimented with sizes, and multiple pieces and they gave a better result than a single blob.

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #89 of 90
Because no one has actually responded why this method works: Dynamat is designed to reduce vibrations and resonances by acoustically coupling two materials together, preventing them from vibrating endlessly. When applied to the back of your headphones, it can do wonders to tame unwanted resonances caused by vibrating materials. This not only helps in reducing distortion but also dramatically improves your bass response. Don't just take my word for it; give it a try. And here's a fun experiment: stick some Dynamat on any metal surface, tap on it, and notice how those vibrations are instantly dampened. That's the magic of acoustic coupling at work, and it can make a significant difference in your headphone's performance. For reference this video by the action lab actually demonstrates this principle.
Actually, you can even avoid using dynamat altogether, materials from an aluminum can and double sided silicone tape can work about 80% as good as dynamat, (if no actual dynamat is to be found in your area) And yea, it actually does the trick. What I'm actually about to test is the difference of placing this damping tape on the back of the driver vs on the headphone cups, I'll let you know once I perform this test

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #90 of 90
Are the mdr-1r still worth it in 2024 with the mod? I'm about to get some

Users who are viewing this thread

Back