Dynamat mod for Sony MDR-1R
Oct 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #46 of 90
The bass is just lacking, If you are listening to bass heavy music, the bass is present, but there is no visceral impact so to speak.

How it was before the mod? Try to remove blutack and whatever else you put in there. Another thing, make sure that you install earpads right (left, right, top, down orientation) and that all tabs securely clicked in place. Double check that you didn't block bass ports on top.

They have pretty good, balanced, definitely not lacking by *my standards*, bass, but for bassheads V-Moda is probably a better option.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #47 of 90

How it was before the mod? Try to remove blutack and whatever else you put in there. Another thing, make sure that you install earpads right (left, right, top, down orientation) and that all tabs securely clicked in place. Double check that you didn't block bass ports on top.

They have pretty good, balanced, definitely not lacking by *my standards*, bass, but for bassheads V-Moda is probably a better option.

So here I am having to eat back most of my words...... Andrew, I have no idea what was wrong.

The cushions can only be inserted one way, they were firmly seated, I removed just some of the cotton wool but not all. The port holes weren't blocked by anything and all the screws were tight, It just seems that it was waiting for me to complain. I listened for about 4 hours last night and to be honest, the bass just came on like a switch compared to just before I posted my first impression. To be honest the DT235 still has deeper bass, but now at least in bass light recordings are listenable because the bass is present enough and is now more present than before. 

I really don't know what happened but it went from I cant listen to the police greatest hits because the recording is bass light compared to Sting's later stuff to hey I can listen to this, it can do with a bit more bass but I know its the recording and not the headphone. It still lacks the extension of the DT235 but it now sounds more complete. 

as I said I am not a bass head per say, but how it was before was really dismal in the bass. Now it is fine. So I will re-evaluate my impressions at a later date. 

Dudlew

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #48 of 90
Done this mod and I could agree that this mod will make mdr-1r like totally different headphone.
The most thing I can remembered it gave more tight and controlled bass compare to the stock.

Here is a picture of the modded cup:

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #49 of 90
Oct 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #50 of 90
  Done this mod and I could agree that this mod will make mdr-1r like totally different headphone.
The most thing I can remembered it gave more tight and controlled bass compare to the stock.

Here is a picture of the modded cup:

Wow, really nice work, you cut all these small indentations around. That's pretty tough, did you freeze dynamat before working on it?
I actually started like that at the beginning but messed up and ended up with just simple disk.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #51 of 90
  Wow, really nice work, you cut all these small indentations around. That's pretty tough, did you freeze dynamat before working on it?
I actually started like that at the beginning but messed up and ended up with just simple disk.

Thanks! I'm not using Dynamat brand but FatMat which surprisingly very easy to handle with.

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #52 of 90

I never understood how people use dynamat in these modding threads.  Dynamat isn't mean to absorb backwaves...its meant to stop rattling of components.  The foil on the dynamat would probably have it reflect more backwaves.

Acoustic foam or dynaxorb is meant to aborb those backwaves.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #53 of 90

I never understood how people use dynamat in these modding threads.  Dynamat isn't mean to absorb backwaves...its meant to stop rattling of components.  The foil on the dynamat would probably have it reflect more backwaves.

Acoustic foam or dynaxorb is meant to aborb those backwaves.

It is not for any absorption but for mass loading cups to prevent vibration and rattle. Same thing as with Fostex built Denons. Purrin actually took this mod further and added some additional dampening material on the top of dynamat. Google for that, can't post links to that site.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #54 of 90
  It is not for any absorption but for mass loading cups to prevent vibration and rattle. Same thing as with Fostex built Denons.

then it's being put in the wrong place.  If it doesn't rattle, then it doesn't need dynamat.  It's supposed to go as close to the driver as possible, not the farthest place in the cup.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #55 of 90

It is not for any absorption but for mass loading cups to prevent vibration and rattle. Same thing as with Fostex built Denons.

then it's being put in the wrong place.  If it doesn't rattle, then it doesn't need dynamat.  It's supposed to go as close to the driver as possible, not the farthest place in the cup.

Feel free to experiment and share results with the community.
This "wrong" mod works, but there could be a better and clever way of doing it. MarkL was dampening both cup and driver. http://www.head-fi.org/a/markl-denon-ah-d5000-mods
I felt that MDR1-R did not need as much dampening as D5K. 

BTW, dampening/mass loading cups is not something new and was used on headphones for a very long time, only before it was blu-tack as a material of choice, dynamat is less messy.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #56 of 90

I can only suppose you are searching for some kind of trolling or something, because of the aggressive tone of your posts. It looks like you are trying to compare the physics on speakers with the physics on headphones as well. In any case, this is a forum to share experiences. I suppose people finds some differences when they perform the mod (I didn't perform it so I cannot talk) and that's why they recommend it. It doesn't really matter how it was developed or intended for as far as it provides a change in the sound when applied, but I cannot see what are you exactly pursuing here other than try to get people mad and diminish people work.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #57 of 90
  Feel free to experiment and share results with the community.
This "wrong" mod works, but there could be a better and clever way of doing it. MarkL was dampening both cup and driver. http://www.head-fi.org/a/markl-denon-ah-d5000-mods
I felt that MDR1-R did not need as much dampening as D5K. 

BTW, dampening/mass loading cups is not something new and was used on headphones for a very long time, only before it was blu-tack as a material of choice, dynamat is less messy.

I've modded headphones before... T50rp using a phantom power supply to measure FR curves from it.   Dynamat goes on the "baffle" where the driver is attached to.  Acoustic foam goes on the cup walls.  And thats why I said these mods never made sense.  More of a placebo effect than anything.  Anything on the cup walls will affect backwaves which the foil on dynamat probably just makes it worse as it probably reflects them more than the stock cups.  

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #58 of 90

I've modded headphones before... T50rp using a phantom power supply to measure FR curves from it.   Dynamat goes on the "baffle" where the driver is attached to.  Acoustic foam goes on the cup walls.  And thats why I said these mods never made sense.  More of a placebo effect than anything.  Anything on the cup walls will affect backwaves which the foil on dynamat probably just makes it worse as it probably reflects them more than the stock cups.  

Well. I had modded and unmodded pairs side by side, auditioned by a couple of people and it definitely wasn't a placebo. You can also check the link I PMed you for before and after measurements.
Not sure what's your agenda, but I am out of this thread. Take care.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #59 of 90
I can only suppose you are searching for some kind of trolling or something, because of the aggressive tone of your posts. It looks like you are trying to compare the physics on speakers with the physics on headphones as well. In any case, this is a forum to share experiences. I suppose people finds some differences when they perform the mod (I didn't perform it so I cannot talk) and that's why they recommend it. It doesn't really matter how it was developed or intended for as far as it provides a change in the sound when applied, but I cannot see what are you exactly pursuing here other than try to get people mad and diminish people work.

I'm saying if they want to mod their phones, they should do it right.  If the first person that shows this isn't right in his application of a mod, everyone who follows said mod is doing it wrong too.  So you haven't done mods before so you can't really talk...you are correct on that.  Doing a mod and simply saying it does this doesn't make it true or correct.  Now if you want to use dynamat; you should remove the foil and leave the black tar sticky stuff behind.  If you want to lessen vibration, putting dynamat at the back of the cups is the least optimal place to put it.  

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #60 of 90
  Well. I had modded and unmodded pairs side by side, auditioned by a couple of people and it definitely wasn't a placebo. You can also check the link I PMed you for before and after measurements.
Not sure what's your agenda, but I am out of this thread. Take care.

yeah; he got most of it right.  he added dynamat at the baffle of the cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back