DXC STORE started Headphone Demo Rental Service!
Jul 15, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #31 of 46
Just a logistical question.  On your website it says you include a UPS return label.  That is great and convenient for me.  I ordered a rental for my stepson the other day.  The tracking says it will be here on Wednesday of next week.  No problem there.  However, the end of the 3 day period will be Saturday.  UPS is closed until Monday.  Will we be charged for days that we are unable to return them?  He is wanting to just test them to see if he wants those particular headphones and the 3 days should be enough.  I think this is a great service for someone who is unsure about which set to buy.  Thanks.

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #32 of 46

Quote:
Just a logistical question.  On your website it says you include a UPS return label.  That is great and convenient for me.  I ordered a rental for my stepson the other day.  The tracking says it will be here on Wednesday of next week.  No problem there.  However, the end of the 3 day period will be Saturday.  UPS is closed until Monday.  Will we be charged for days that we are unable to return them?  He is wanting to just test them to see if he wants those particular headphones and the 3 days should be enough.  I think this is a great service for someone who is unsure about which set to buy.  Thanks.

Please don't worry about that.
We will not charge for that.
Please just send us shipping confirmation e-mail on Monday.

Thanks!

DXC STORE

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #35 of 46
DXC STORE is officially closed for good!

We tried our best to survive but we couldn't.

Unfortunately we couldn't compete with Amazon.com.

80~90 % of customers used our demo service and then bought from Amazon.

As you know, Amazon's pricing is so good, sometimes their price is under our cost.

Thanks for supporting dxc store.

Bye~

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #36 of 46
frown.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #37 of 46
Sad indeed.  It's like rewatching my favorite coffee shops close doors because of Starbucks.  There must be something about this area (Seattle) where monster corporations are created.

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #39 of 46
Folks who abuse the service of dealers just to get a demo and then turn around to buy on audiogon, ebay, some gray market seller, or Amazon are a cancer on the audio market.  They're going to drive away the good dealers and the local b&m stores.  Then all we're going to be left with is the likes of Amazon and gray market shysters.  :frowning2:

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #40 of 46
Folks who abuse the service of dealers just to get a demo and then turn around to buy on audiogon, ebay, some gray market seller, or Amazon are a cancer on the audio market.  They're going to drive away the good dealers and the local b&m stores.  Then all we're going to be left with is the likes of Amazon and gray market shysters.  :frowning2:

Although I totally understand you, and feel bad that this happens, like it did here. I understand why it does. I've seen price's for example on a certain "audiophile headphone site" that I don't want to mention. I love the site and read reviews their but their prices are absurd, they charge about 2x sometimes even 3x the amount Amazon does for the same thing. Its no wonder that no one buys from them as much as Amazon and other big stores. Generally for me personally I'll pay about 10% more tops to buy from a local company or a company I respect, but if its more then 10% more then I'm just not going to buy it from the local place.

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #41 of 46

Quote:

We are just smart about using our money.  A lot of boutique stores are out of my price range :wink:.  Granted I rather buy direct from dealer(Schiit, Audio-Gd) than use a third party in some situations.

DXC actually wasn't that bad, the headphone demo program could of lead to a leasing program for headphones.  I wouldn't mind paying more for a headphone I am paying for in installments =3

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #43 of 46
I'm not knocking folks for wanting to save some money on purchases and for not wanting to always pay full MSRP for items that are available for a street price for less from authorized dealers.  What I'm knocking is the mentality of folks who would abuse a dealer as a demo service with the full intention of buying elsewhere for the lowest possible price from audiogon or gray market or wherever they can get a lower price.  That sort of mentality may get you a great deal now, but in a few years when you want another headphone you may be asking yourself "hey, where'd all the dealers go?".

Online doesn't offer much in the way of demo possibilities, at least not without added cost.  Shops like Amazon aren't set up to allow many returns due to "I tried it, didn't like it".  If you become a difficult or expensive customer at Amazon due to many returns or other issues you may find yourself banned from Amazon as a customer.  Then where do you go?  Would really suck to get banned from Amazon.

I don't want a future that's a sucky downward spiral to zero service style of market for audio.  That's not a fun future for anyone who is an audio nut (and if you're wasting time here on head-fi you're an audio nut).

I never used DXC.  It wasn't an online service I needed as I've got a local active head-fi network with local meets.  I also had a neat local dealer at 32 Ohm Audio.  Lots of headphones for demo there.  But 32 Ohm Audio had to close up their retail shop.  :frowning2:  Cause well, probably too much of the behavior I mention above.  Not a good picture of the future in audio retailing. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #44 of 46
The rental idea has merit, I'd very much like to see one of our sponsors pick up the idea. Having a headphone at home for a week or two, listening to it with your own amp & source is light-years better that buying blind or grabbing 10 or 15 minutes at a meet.

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #45 of 46
I agree, maybe Head-Fi should offer it?  Perhaps do a group buy or donation pool to afford some demo sets we could vote on, have them insured, issue them out to anyone with good feedback who wants to try them for a few days and then send it directly to the next person in line.  

I think that would be pretty awesome :\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back