DX50 Bug List, Wish List Fix
Oct 3, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #1,156 of 1,212
I got my Dx50 for four days now. Got a 64GB card loaded with about 10GB of files.
The whole thing is running peachy but I noticed that the boot is a bit off.

It used to boot with an iBasso logo, then straight to the music screen.
Right now it boots to a black screen and stays there I press the power button to toggle the screen on and off.

I fugured a Factory Reset would do the trick, but it doesn't.
Also, the recovery menus isn't accessible (power and volume up at boot) I've tried every combination (power first, volume first, both at same time) I could think off.
When I try to go recovery menu it just boots to a black screen.

I'm running version 1.5 right now.

Does any of you have an idea? Am I doing something wrong?

Oct 4, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #1,157 of 1,212
I got my Dx50 for four days now. Got a 64GB card loaded with about 10GB of files.
The whole thing is running peachy but I noticed that the boot is a bit off.

It used to boot with an iBasso logo, then straight to the music screen.
Right now it boots to a black screen and stays there I press the power button to toggle the screen on and off.

I fugured a Factory Reset would do the trick, but it doesn't.
Also, the recovery menus isn't accessible (power and volume up at boot) I've tried every combination (power first, volume first, both at same time) I could think off.
When I try to go recovery menu it just boots to a black screen.

I'm running version 1.5 right now.

Does any of you have an idea? Am I doing something wrong?

When you connect it to a charge cable does the charging icon appear?

Oct 4, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #1,158 of 1,212
When you connect it to a charge cable does the charging icon appear?

H20Fidelity, thanks for your reply. I'm not really sure what charge icon you are referring to.

When the DX50 is off and I plug in a USB wall charger the screen lights up black, but no icon is shown. The unit appears to be off, but the black screen turns on and off when it press the power button shortly.

When the DX50 is on and I plug in a USB wall charger a lightning bolt appears over the battery icon. If that is what you mean than yes, a charging icon does appear.

On another note, I find it quite odd that I'm at v1.5.0 and that I can't find the stock firmware anywhere. The iBasso site latest firmware is 1.2.8 if I'm not mistaking. 

Oct 4, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #1,159 of 1,212

H20Fidelity, thanks for your reply. I'm not really sure what charge icon you are referring to.

When the DX50 is off and I plug in a USB wall charger the screen lights up black, but no icon is shown. The unit appears to be off, but the black screen turns on and off when it press the power button shortly.

When the DX50 is on and I plug in a USB wall charger a lightning bolt appears over the battery icon. If that is what you mean than yes, a charging icon does appear.

On another note, I find it quite odd that I'm at v1.5.0 and that I can't find the stock firmware anywhere. The iBasso site latest firmware is 1.2.8 if I'm not mistaking. 

Have you taken the battery out and tried putting it back in? The reason I asked if a charging icon appeared was to see if you can get any reaction from the screen at all, which you can. Please try these steps:

Do a battery pull and put it back in.
Try another battery.
Try another charge cable.
Try another USB charge source.

Oct 4, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #1,160 of 1,212
I've got spare cables and chargers, but no spare battery.
So I'm off to the store to get another battery ^_^
I will try tour suggestions and report back.

Perhaps good to know. I think the boot screen disappeared after charging it for the first time.

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #1,161 of 1,212
I got my battery and did a couple of tests.

- Battery Pull: left the device without battery for a couple of hours (old battery).
- Various known to work USB cables.
- Connecting to a wall charger and a PC USB.
- All of the above with both the old and the new battery.

I found the v1.5.0 stock firmware on the website of iBasso. I missed it as it's separate from the previous releases.

I'm considering to flash it again with the (same) firmware. As a means of a clean install.

EDIT: I did the firmware updates... to no avail. I reflashed 1.5. Then decided to go back to 1.2.8. The shutdown screen was different. But no boot screen. Then back to 1.5. Still no bootscreen.

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #1,162 of 1,212
I got my battery and did a couple of tests.

- Battery Pull: left the device without battery for a couple of hours (old battery).
- Various known to work USB cables.
- Connecting to a wall charger and a PC USB.
- All of the above with both the old and the new battery.

I found the v1.5.0 stock firmware on the website of iBasso. I missed it as it's separate from the previous releases.

I'm considering to flash it again with the (same) firmware. As a means of a clean install.

EDIT: I did the firmware updates... to no avail. I reflashed 1.5. Then decided to go back to 1.2.8. The shutdown screen was different. But no boot screen. Then back to 1.5. Still no bootscreen.

Ok, I would definitely get In contact with iBasso at this stage, if anyone knows a solution it would be them.

Shoot them an email, they're pretty good with customer service.

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #1,163 of 1,212
Thanks for your help H20Fidelity.
I have sent iBasso an email with the problem and my efforts to solve the issues.
I have to say I'm in the dark on this one. The sudden loss of a boot screen suggests (to me) some software error.
However, I expected that to be overwritten when I flashed it with the v1.2.8 or the v.1.5.0 after that.
I can't really imagine how this can be a hardware issue since it's functioning normally for anything else.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. As soon as I have a reply from iBasso I will post the results. I'm very curious about the outcome.

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #1,164 of 1,212
Received a great reply from iBasso today. Their support isnvery quick.
They confirmed my thoughts that it sounds like a firmware problem.
I got a link to RKBatchTool.

Long story short, it didn't work.

I updated the Dx50 with both the current and an older firmware. Redid that with recover for both firmwares.
Still without result and the problems persist.

This leaves me with a very curious situation. Because the player functions normally after the 'dark boot' I can't really think of anything else rhan itbbeing a software problem.

I hope I can get this fixed because I really like this player. I don't want to go bakc to my iPhone!:)

I'll update on the situation :)

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #1,165 of 1,212
Received a great reply from iBasso today. Their support isnvery quick.
They confirmed my thoughts that it sounds like a firmware problem.
I got a link to RKBatchTool.

Long story short, it didn't work.

I updated the Dx50 with both the current and an older firmware. Redid that with recover for both firmwares.
Still without result and the problems persist.

This leaves me with a very curious situation. Because the player functions normally after the 'dark boot' I can't really think of anything else rhan itbbeing a software problem.

I hope I can get this fixed because I really like this player. I don't want to go bakc to my iPhone!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll update on the situation
smily_headphones1.gif

Hello there,

I'm thinking of shortlisting this to my DAP upgrade target list, but am curious to know whether the bugs (apparent) have been fixed as of now. 

Additionally, if you can help me out in the sound quality dept., how much of an upgrade do you think it would make over an iPod Classic+FiiO E07k combo (through L9 LOD) that I'm currently using?

Thanks & regards

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #1,166 of 1,212

Hello there,

I'm thinking of shortlisting this to my DAP upgrade target list, but am curious to know whether the bugs (apparent) have been fixed as of now. 

Additionally, if you can help me out in the sound quality dept., how much of an upgrade do you think it would make over an iPod Classic+FiiO E07k combo (through L9 LOD) that I'm currently using?

Thanks & regards

DX50 is now stable, it took some time to get there but it's now a stable unit.

It will be a decent upgrade from the iPod Classic as a source. My opinion is you'll get the best experience from DX50 using line out.

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #1,167 of 1,212
DX50 is now stable, it took some time to get there but it's now a stable unit.

It will be a decent upgrade from the iPod Classic as a source. My opinion is you'll get the best experience from DX50 using line out.

Thanks for your inputs!

Now when you say line out would sound better, should I be investing in another amp/ device for the DX50 to sound significantly better than my current combo which I mentioned earlier? Or will the DX50 by itself sound better? I'm hoping the latter is true.

Thanks again, cheers.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #1,168 of 1,212
Thanks for your inputs!

Now when you say line out would sound better, should I be investing in another amp/ device for the DX50 to sound significantly better than my current combo which I mentioned earlier? Or will the DX50 by itself sound better? I'm hoping the latter is true.

Thanks again, cheers.

Start off with DX50 headphone out, see how that sounds you may very well enjoy it that way. if not you can consider trying your E07K from line out (which you will try anyway I assume) or another amp down the road like JDS C5. In short you're going to be fine using your DX50 from the headphone out, it has 3 gain modes and drives most gear.

I'm just stating my opinion that DX50 can scale up well using an amp from the line out. What headphones are you going to be using?

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #1,169 of 1,212
Start off with DX50 headphone out, see how that sounds you may very well enjoy it that way. if not you can consider trying your E07K from line out (which you will try anyway I assume) or another amp down the road like JDS C5. In short you're going to be fine using your DX50 from the headphone out, it has 3 gain modes and drives most gear.

I'm just stating my opinion that DX50 can scale up well using an amp from the line out. What headphones are you going to be using?

Thanks again for your reply. I'll definitely not be using high impedance headphones in the immediate future, at home or for portable use. So I guess driveability is not an issue at all, as i currently use HD558 at home and either Denon D340 or Philips Uptowns for portable use. And yes I'll definitely use the DX50 line out to E07k to try out the differences in the sound quality. I'm also aware that through the line out to a higher quality amp, I'll get a good upgrade in SQ; although I'll save that for later, money and wife permitting!

Cheers and thanks again.

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #1,170 of 1,212
Hello hello, I've been away for some tie due to school and work.
Anyway, I'm back with an update on the DX50.

The issue I've had isn't solved. Ive returned the unit.
My retailer replaced the unit. Actually I got a whole new one.

I don't know what caused the issue. But since I couldn't find any reference to a similar problem I have to conclude is was an exeption and it's not a common bug/issue.

I'm really satisfied with the communication I had with iBasso. And also with the quick response of my retailer.

So, I'm off now. Testing my new Shure SE215's on my newly recieved DX50.
Database scanning now... ^_~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back