DX50 Bug List, Wish List Fix
Nov 22, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #977 of 1,212
Someone asked before if the digital volume control was implemented by reducing/increasing the resolution or bit depth. First I thought that if this player is supposed to be audiophile grade that would be a crime, but after reading some comments that the lower the volume the less definition you have I thougth maybe they are doing it that way. Anybody knows how works the digital volume control in this player?
thanks.

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #978 of 1,212
  Someone asked before if the digital volume control was implemented by reducing/increasing the resolution or bit depth. First I thought that if this player is supposed to be audiophile grade that would be a crime, but after reading some comments that the lower the volume the less definition you have I thougth maybe they are doing it that way. Anybody knows how works the digital volume control in this player?
thanks.

someone also said it does not affect the bit depth . I can't pretend to know this stuff, so...

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #979 of 1,212
  someone also said it does not affect the bit depth . I can't pretend to know this stuff, so...

Read here:

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/VolumeControl.htm

Also this DAP has a frequency range of 20hz to 20khz, meaning any sample rate above 40khz will be cut off anyways. So pointless to have 24 bit and pointless to have higher frequencies, even IF you would be able to hear them.:)

Resolution loss

The loudest a DAC could play is called 0 dBFS, say all bits are on.
If we lower the volume digital we ‘shift’ to the right as we do get a smaller number
MSB                 LSB
Yes, we do loose resolution
The same happens when using 24 bits.

The difference is that with 16 the truncation (quantization error) happens at -96 dBFS hence the dither will be there too. In this example only 8 bits are left.
With 24 this happens at -144 dBFS and this is a value below what any DAC can resolve.

Playing 16 bits audio on a 24 bit DAC sounds like the ideal solution.
If we reduce the volume by -48 dB (8 bits) we still have the full 16 bit signal.
No loss of resolution at all.
Theoretically, it works this way.
Practice is a bit different.
The best DACs can resolve 22 bits max.
-96 dBFS is very soft, we probably won’t hear much below this level.
The bits might be all there, if we don’t hear them we still have a loss of resolution.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #980 of 1,212
My wish:

1. Be able to access the 'delete song' option from the now playing screen, in playlist browsing, etc.

I love that I can delete a song right on the device, but hate that I have to browse to it in the all music directory.

2. Option to rate music and have smart playlists based on rating.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #981 of 1,212
No you'll have to inspect your directory and files but you should only have the music files and the cover arts, nothing else. Also make sure you follow the suggestions for file names and clean tags in the FAQ.

I thought the only art file it reads is those embedded in the actual music file. 
I spent all this time cleaning up my files and got rid of all .jpg album art and embedding it only in the flacs. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #982 of 1,212
I thought the only art file it reads is those embedded in the actual music file. 
I spent all this time cleaning up my files and got rid of all .jpg album art and embedding it only in the flacs. 

Some members seem to think that the cover art in the directory with the music files work. I did not take any chances and did both. I need to do some tests on that. A directory with only the covert art saved as folder.jpg and no embedded images in any of the music files and the other way around to see what happens.

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #983 of 1,212
I have all individual files with embedded artwork and no images (jpgs) in album folders at all. When browsing the individual songs, only generic 'flac' images are shown. The artwork only shows when playing. It's fair to assume that the image in the folder is pulled out in the album view or now playing, but it's ignored for some reason in the directory / browsing lists.

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #984 of 1,212
I had some songs with wrong artist tags. I plugged in the DX50 via USB and fixed the tags using mp3tag.

Even though I was prompted to and carried out an SD card scan, the old incorrect artist names still show up.
Do I have to do something like erase all internal scan data and re-do a complete scan to get it to properly recognize the updated ID3 tag info?

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #985 of 1,212
I had some songs with wrong artist tags. I plugged in the DX50 via USB and fixed the tags using mp3tag.

Even though I was prompted to and carried out an SD card scan, the old incorrect artist names still show up.
Do I have to do something like erase all internal scan data and re-do a complete scan to get it to properly recognize the updated ID3 tag info?

I have had this issue before, I can't say that it always happen. You can delete the v

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #987 of 1,212
what is this v you speak of that I have to delete?

You can delete the .album_img directory and it will be rebuilt when you'll scan your SD card again. I did it in the past and got mixed results, one time it worked fine and the other it did not want to scan the sd card again and had to do a factory reset.

The factory reset always worked well for me. Once you are done with it just select scan SD card when it reboots and you should have your db straightened up.

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #989 of 1,212
I always do a data wipe / factory reset before letting the DX50 scan the card whenever I make changes to the SD card.

Nov 24, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #990 of 1,212
Some members seem to think that the cover art in the directory with the music files work. I did not take any chances and did both. I need to do some tests on that. A directory with only the covert art saved as folder.jpg and no embedded images in any of the music files and the other way around to see what happens.

Having already tested this thoroughly with 1.2.3beta and 1.2.5, I can assure everyone that the most efficient for scan purposes is to have NO embedded artwork but each album folder should have the artwork in a file named folder.jpg (in the same folder as the music files) Highly recommend 300x300 size and a max of 500x500 if only for compatibility with many other DAPs as well.

Using this protocol, I have minimised the time it takes to scan a full 64gb MicroSD card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back