DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Aug 30, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #3,137 of 3,609
Quote:
Well, yesterday I bought a 9mm 500gb thin external hd. I tried it with both the samsung galaxy s3 and the nexus 7. Both did not have the power to drivr it. It would be interesting to know, how much power th DX50 outputs from the usb. Hopefully it is enough for a hd.

dont think a portable device has enough output to drive hdd....best is to use thumbdrive..or maybe put a card reader for additional sd card :frowning2:

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #3,138 of 3,609
Quote:
Well, yesterday I bought a 9mm 500gb thin external hd. I tried it with both the samsung galaxy s3 and the nexus 7. Both did not have the power to drivr it. It would be interesting to know, how much power th DX50 outputs from the usb. Hopefully it is enough for a hd.

Good question. My Powerbook G4 would not drive external 2.5 drives unless they were designed for Mac. The upped the power on the MacBook Pro and it works with all the external drives but what is the output of the USB on the DX50, good question. 

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #3,139 of 3,609
honestly, ibasso should list out the hdd brands that they have tested and certified to be used with dx50 if they so claim that it can process up to 2TB.
Hopefully, some of us would find us in the next week or so?

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #3,140 of 3,609
dont think a portable device has enough output to drive hdd....best is to use thumbdrive..or maybe put a card reader for additional sd card :frowning2:

It is most likely like you said. The only hope would be that they used a certain pmic, that is capable of powering an external hd.

The other possibility is to try an SSD based external HD.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #3,141 of 3,609
Powering spinning drive is just too much for a mobile player. Even if it can spin the hdd, it will compromise the play time a lot. What is the point of having a mobile dap then?

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #3,144 of 3,609
The DX50 USB is tested for the USB keys and SD cards. The 2 TB refers to the stated SD card specifications. Understandably, a small dap with limited battery power is going to have a hard time with a 2.5 hd. A 128gb SD card consumes little power and the SD cards are getting more and more storage space. Or you could use a HD at a desk with its own power supply. 

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #3,145 of 3,609
Quote:
The DX50 USB is tested for the USB keys and SD cards. The 2 TB refers to the stated SD card specifications. Understandably, a small dap with limited battery power is going to have a hard time with a 2.5 hd. A 128gb SD card consumes little power and the SD cards are getting more and more storage space. Or you could use a HD at a desk with its own power supply. 

you've tested a production or a pre-production unit? how successful is it with external spinning HDD?

Quote:
Powering spinning drive is just too much for a mobile player. Even if it can spin the hdd, it will compromise the play time a lot. What is the point of having a mobile dap then?

does ipod classic ring any bell?

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #3,146 of 3,609

@ Jazzyfi
+1

I ask this to myself again and again almost every time I read a post here.

It is a personal preference. I would like to discuss it. If you are not interested in this feature, please do not reply then...

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #3,149 of 3,609
Quote:
Respected and accepted, but for a short moment, I was kind of annoyed by the reactions.

Sorry if it sounded like it. Even though I don't see it as a useful option, I can certainly see why other people would like it. 

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #3,150 of 3,609
Quote:
you've tested a production or a pre-production unit? how successful is it with external spinning HDD?

does ipod classic ring any bell?

yes, ipod classic doesn't have a powerful amp sections and the HDD is much smaller than the 2.5 externals today. also, it was optimized for that very purpose, while I doubt any of the portable HDDs are optimized for mobile devices in terms of power consumption....

I think good option for USB storage would be either SSD (which are quite expensive) or a thumb drive (which aren't as fast and frankly no one needs the speed for DX50, but are a bit less expensive...)

there was a really good slim option - a 64 gig Thumb drive for under 40$ with free shipping on amazon. there are also 128 gig drives for not even double the price, this for example:

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-128GB-Classic-Attach-P-FD128CLCAP-GE/dp/B00CBQEYJE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377852321&sr=8-2&keywords=128gb+flash+drive

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Glide-Flash-SDCZ60-128G-B35/dp/B007YX9OGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377852796&sr=8-1&keywords=128+gb+flash+drive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back