DX320MAX Ti The musical event worth the wait. ROHM X 4. !! NEW Firmware: 2.03 !!
May 12, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #391 of 1,447
I'm pretty sure the DSD filter is only for DSD files.
Yes, I realize that but what does it do? What filter is it changing ?
I believe it is a high frequency cutoff filter but not sure.
I have looked at the user manual for the DX320 which has the same settings but there as well no explanation as to function.

May 13, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #392 of 1,447
Yes, I realize that but what does it do? What filter is it changing ?
I believe it is a high frequency cutoff filter but not sure.
I have looked at the user manual for the DX320 which has the same settings but there as well no explanation as to function.
Looking at the datasheet of the DAC page 23, we have the following data:

1683983267850.png

DSD has high amount of noise above the audible region. Here is an example from this article, DSD64 has something like this:

dsd-noise.jpg

Looking at this, the middle filter makes sense for me. I would just keep it there.

More DSD reading here.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #393 of 1,447
Looking at the datasheet of the DAC page 23, we have the following data:

1683983267850.png

DSD has high amount of noise above the audible region. Here is an example from this article, DSD64 has something like this:

dsd-noise.jpg

Looking at this, the middle filter makes sense for me. I would just keep it there.

More DSD reading here.
Yes, thank you for that. Came across similar for Rohm Dac desktop system. DSD64 being most common so agree middle setting seems appropriate. Hard pressed to see what having it will make a difference as there are no other settings like dither and so on unless using player app like Neutron.

May 13, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #394 of 1,447
One of the many reasons why usually DSD filters doesn’t really effect anything is due to the analog filters after the DAC conversions. The wider the bandwidth , the more it covers and filter noises for the whole spectrum. Hence whether or not the DAC filters out the DSD, the result would almost be the same. Because both of these guys are filtering out noises that are ways beyond human hearings

May 14, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #395 of 1,447
The noise when changing volume is really ticking me off >..< Is it normal for such stepped volume controls? And I've forgotten how some of my cables can't plug into the recessed holes on the Max...

May 14, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #396 of 1,447
The noise when changing volume is really ticking me off >..< Is it normal for such stepped volume controls? And I've forgotten how some of my cables can't plug into the recessed holes on the Max...
That is the nature of a stepped attenuator. I think they explain it somewhere but it is also common knowledge, among those who use stepped attenuators. There are make then break attenuators but that would require a larger control and would not be useable in something the size of the MAX. I personally will take a stepped attenuator any day over other types. I also have some desktop ams that use the type of break then make attenuator. I don't change the volume much so it isn't an issue and even if I did, I would still take the stepped attenuator. No stepped attenuator has ever been made this small. Took a lot of R&D and amazing that ibasso has done it.

May 14, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #399 of 1,447
Don't get me wrong, I do love the sound. It's just those moments when I switch earphones and need to find the right spot again... Ah well... at least there's no more accidental moving of the volume pot while in the bag. Is there any description anywhere on what the 4 bands do differently sound-wise?

May 15, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #400 of 1,447
Normal I get used to it now.

May 15, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #401 of 1,447
Any double touch to awake the screen? I can’t find it on setting.

May 15, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #403 of 1,447
Don't get me wrong, I do love the sound. It's just those moments when I switch earphones and need to find the right spot again... Ah well... at least there's no more accidental moving of the volume pot while in the bag. Is there any description anywhere on what the 4 bands do differently sound-wise?

4 bands? Are you talking about gain switch? That's just that. Unless you are talking about something else?

May 15, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #404 of 1,447
May 15, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #405 of 1,447
4 bands? Are you talking about gain switch? That's just that. Unless you are talking about something else?
Oh just pure gain? Sorry was drunk on the sound and the word "gain" refused to come through haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back