DX320MAX Ti The musical event worth the wait. ROHM X 4. !! NEW Firmware: 2.03 !!
Sep 15, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #871 of 1,449
No. 283 in the house. First 10 min. impressions (iems, gain 2, volume wheel between 12 and 1 o'clock, balanced), holography as others have reported (probably slightly improved on the DX300 Max). Volume of low-mid bass and note-weight in the lower frequencies is slightly on the thin side, but probably burn-in will significantly improve this aspect (as with the DX300 Max Ti). Speed, accuracy and decay are spot on, though. Good mids. Black background.

One thing that's kind of gone south is Neutron Player. Downloaded and configured (64-bit, bit-perfect, dither, PCM-->DSD256, hyperthreading, 8x oversampling), scanned library, all fine. Tried to play, disaster. Sound muffled (like between half and a third of normal volume), dreadful noise. Anybody else has used Neutron and had problems? Perhaps it's not yet configured for the DX320 Max? Neutron was my go-to player on DX300 Max Ti and, through Whitigir's settings, really sang (esp. in the PCM-->DSD mode, if one cared to have the screen off). Mango is a good enough player, but I always liked Neutron just a bit more.

Edit: after a few hours of playing first evening after I got the player, lower end has already audibly improved, on note weight, rumble (in lower bass). Holography is definitely superior to my DX300 Max Ti. Imaging depth too, I think (A Perfect Circle -- The Noose, in the intro, drums and piano/synth seem to be coming from the cavern depths, to unfold and envelop the ear in the main body of the song, wow!). I'm still at around 3% burn-in, so I can't imagine how much better this will become after full burn-in! I feel rather vindicated for not splashing £6k on the Mjolnir (judging from original reviews of the latter).

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #872 of 1,449
So far Mango OS blows away Neutron or anything in Android mode.
Just going through old posts in this thread and noticed yours. So, were you able to make Neutron play properly on the DX320 Max? I downloaded mine, confirgured and started in on my SD library, but ... sound was really veiled and muffled and at less than half what I'd expect (even at Gain 4 it failed to respond) with iems. Plus, noticeable hissing. I've used Neutron as my go-to player software on the DX300 Max Ti and it sounded sublime (better than Mango for my tastes). I've noticed on the Neutron page it doesn't included the DX320 Max on its list of supported DAPS, so I was wondering.

Sep 17, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #874 of 1,449
Does anybody knows, if there is a possibility to activate a double tap option on the MAX?

And secondly, is it bad to charge and play at the same time? I use the MAX in DAC mode on my desk and both charging cables are permanently plugged in.

Thanks!

Sep 17, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #875 of 1,449
Does anybody knows, if there is a possibility to activate a double tap option on the MAX?

And secondly, is it bad to charge and play at the same time? I use the MAX in DAC mode on my desk and both charging cables are permanently plugged in.

Thanks!
I charge and play all the time. Most every day. To store it, I would have the batteries at 70 to 80% for the best battery life. Never store it at 100% charge. There is no double tap for the MAX. Apparently no hardware for that.

Sep 17, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #876 of 1,449
I have neutron installed and it sounds very clear, balanced and just proper. Better than mango os, little better than mango app.

Have you checked the settings?
Yep, thanks mate, changed the settings and it plays fine. You were onto something.

The problem was with the DoP, when you try to make it play PCM to DSD. Without enabling Native DSD, sound is extremely low and veiled, with noticeable hissing. If you enable "Native DSD", it clips non-stop (whether screen is on or off). This was a setting that worked on DX300 Max (with screen off), but no longer does on DX320 Max. Why I bother with it is that there is audible improvement in sound spark and note weight.

In any case, after I was able to make Neutron work by disabling the PCM to DSD setting, I went on to A/B Mango OS and Neutron. It seems to me that, unlike with what was the case for DX300 Max, Ibasso has improved Mango OS so much so that it now has the upper hand over Neutron, even without the DSP options of the latter, playing simply on an almost bit-perfect basis (D1 filter). This DAP is really impressive. I've only listened to it for almost 10hrs now (I prefer organic burn-in, while listening) and it sounds to me almost where the DX300 Max Ti was after full burn-in of many weeks!

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #880 of 1,449
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a MAX in the coming month or so, and I had a question about the separate digital and analog sections of the DAP, what they do, and why they need to be charged separately. I have a knowledge gap in this area and I thought this would be a good place to get some information. Thank you.

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #881 of 1,449
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a MAX in the coming month or so, and I had a question about the separate digital and analog sections of the DAP, what they do, and why they need to be charged separately. I have a knowledge gap in this area and I thought this would be a good place to get some information. Thank you.
Simple answer is that having a DAC and an Amplifier is better than a DAP

The definition of a DAC is that it decode digital files into analogous signals or music. A portable DAC is one that has it own battery

The definition of an amplifier is that it takes a very low powered signals which comes from the DAC and amplify it by several factors while trying to Suppress other related noises down as much as it could. A portable amplifier is one that has it own battery

A stack of portable DAC + Portable Amp is a lot better because each one is a dedicated devices. However, you will have to stack them up by interconnects (the short cables from output into input) and you also have to charge them separately. Using it this way, you can pair your portable amps with other DAC/DAP at your choices. You compromise portability and practicality as being a stack is very bulky

The MAX took those points above and make it so that you have a portable DAC together with a portable Amplifier but with a “much better integration into 1 Chasis”. It results in

1/ a dedicated stack that requires no interconnect in between

2/ practicality in form and function because it is small and thin enough to be pocketed

You compromises the features of an independent dedicated amplifier as such you can not pair the amp sections with other DAC/DAP.

You will still need to charge each devices separately

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #882 of 1,449
Simple answer is that having a DAC and an Amplifier is better than a DAP

The definition of a DAC is that it decode digital files into analogous signals or music. A portable DAC is one that has it own battery

The definition of an amplifier is that it takes a very low powered signals which comes from the DAC and amplify it by several factors while trying to Suppress other related noises down as much as it could. A portable amplifier is one that has it own battery

A stack of portable DAC + Portable Amp is a lot better because each one is a dedicated devices. However, you will have to stack them up by interconnects (the short cables from output into input) and you also have to charge them separately. Using it this way, you can pair your portable amps with other DAC/DAP at your choices. You compromise portability and practicality as being a stack is very bulky

The MAX took those points above and make it so that you have a portable DAC together with a portable Amplifier but with a “much better integration into 1 Chasis”. It results in

1/ a dedicated stack that requires no interconnect in between

2/ practicality in form and function because it is small and thin enough to be pocketed

You compromises the features of an independent dedicated amplifier as such you can not pair the amp sections with other DAC/DAP.

You will still need to charge each devices separately
Thanks! This is super helpful. May seem obvious, but I'm assuming the "analog" side is the amp, correct?

Sep 21, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #884 of 1,449
For the better experiences of high fidelity, on the go, and the best imagines possible

IMG_1277.jpeg

The 320Max TI is my Sole player right at this moment that I can carry everywhere and enjoying a “Desktop like performances” on the go with full sizes headphones

I understand that there are always compromises, trades between pro and cons. Hence my best synergies with this player is also the 800S !! That vast soundstage, textures, and vividity ! Nothing surpasses it. What is crazier is that the 800s was very expensive back then…and now it still gives a lot of others a run for their money, yet…so cheap in comparison

This pictures say everything I could.

IMG_1278.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #885 of 1,449
For the better experiences of high fidelity, on the go, and the best imagines possible

IMG_1277.jpeg

The 320Max TI is my Sole player right at this moment that I can carry everywhere and enjoying a “Desktop like performances” on the go with full sizes headphones

I understand that there are always compromises, trades between pro and cons. Hence my best synergies with this player is also the 800S !! That vast soundstage, textures, and vividity ! Nothing surpasses it. What is crazier is that the 800s was very expensive back then…and now it still gives a lot of others a run for their money, yet…so cheap in comparison

This pictures say everything I could.

IMG_1278.jpeg
It’s amazing with my D8000 too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back